Dominican drivers!!!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I heard Dominican people dod not care much about dogs...ad I found out this past Sunday. My best friend in all the world...Sniffy..my dog I brought from USA with me here got hit by a SUV. The truck never even slowed down..going I'd say about 50 mph and never even stopped. MY Sniffy is alive but one eye exploded and is no longer and the other...well she can't see out of it so far. Lucky the truck was high and the tires did not hit her. It's just her head and eyes and I thank God for that! So if any of my friends here pray and don't find it offensive to pray for a dog..please pray for my best friend that she will at least be able to see a little. And if any of you are Dominicans who don't care about dogs...just remember some dogs are family to people...equal to children and deserve better. But Sniffys tail still waggs and her tongue still kisses so it is good..!! Life is better than the death thing.....

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
Were you able to take her to a Vet? I don't know if there are many in the DR.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Yes..It happened in Bani and I was with a friend..we had a flat tire and Sniffy went out to pee and saw a dog across the road and went to sniff...The Vet was in his home and he was wonderful. He charged me very little because he said he saw how much I loved my dog and I don't have much money,she was there 3 days and he charged me $500 pesos..about $30 usd...which was wonderful..and he even bought her chicken to eat because he knew she was a spoiled gringa!!!

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Sniffy

Jan, So sorry to hear about Sniffy, that's terrible. I know how much your dog means to you, and rightfully so! I hope Sniffy is gonna be alright! Take Care Jan

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002
My condolences, Jan.

That really blows. I'd probably have a nervous breakdown (or go postal) if that happened to my little stud.

Is this really an accurate reflection of the majority of Dominicans. Do they really hate dogs to that extent? In the city? In the country? Everywhere? Or was this just a particular asshole.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm really sorry to hear about Sniffy. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I've seen it happen many times before. But the driver wouldn't have stopped for a human either. Don't forget most Dominican drivers are less human than the animals they run over.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
dominican drivers

sorry about your dog.
The country is contaminated with people who are "drivers" that consider breakfast a glass of anejo on ice, and continue all day snacking on rum. There is no liability law, aside from going to jail if you have an accident until the police determine who was at fault- forget compensation. Look at the country.
The minute you leave the airport in Santo Domingo you travel to the city on a road that has been in construction for 5 years at least, no side bars to protect vehicle/people from plunging to their deaths, no lighting at night in an already dangerous route, where people are killed daily trying to cross since there are no designated areas or established standards of any kind. They drive vehicles that are 20 year remnants of something created on a different chasis, with no lights/seat belts or security systems. The use cars that stop- on a highway- to cram 8 people into what was once an automobile somewhere in the develolped world.
And the government does nothing, becuase the people are uneducated and lack an understanding of anything better ........
I am sorry about your dog.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To Jan,and "DOG LOVERS"!!

Sad To hear about"Sniffy".Jan if you would like a dog to be with "Sniffy" as a friend,or to act as a "Seeing Eye Dog,Dog,I have 10 beautiful puppies! They are not Pure Breds,they are better! They will grow to be medium sized,short hair,5 are black,4 are black with a touch of brown above the eyes and on the paws,and one is brown. I raised their mother,and uncle from birth,as their grandmother was poisoned by a "Mean Colonel"! These puppies are ready for "adoption" to anyone who has a "Good home" for them. They are not "for sale" just looking for someone to love them! Criss Colon Tel Cel# 710-4370

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dags and cars....

Jan: I have buried lots of good dogs. Books was my sister's dog, rescued in NYC from a person beating on him. She took him to the Vets and nursed him for months and he was "HER"dog. When she passed away I brought Books to the DR and he loved it here. BUT, he was not used to the traffic and almost a year to the day, he wandered out into the street and got hit.
Ruffo, a big ol'fuzzy mix that had been poisoned by thieves but we managed to save him. He was left with a nervious tic. His head went up and down so you could always get a positive answer from him., and many, many more.
My neighbor has had nearly every pedigreed breed here in the country and they have all been hit by cars.
We have two "Viralatas" , a very Dominican breed, often called Heinz 57 Hounds. They look both ways, wander the streets and will probably live to old age....Our Dalmatian and three Rotties are not allowed out of the yard...
You should take Criss up on his offer....Your Snuffy is probably suffering...

HB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Re: To Jan,and "DOG LOVERS"!!

Criss Colon said:
Sad To hear about"Sniffy".Jan if you would like a dog to be with "Sniffy" as a friend,or to act as a "Seeing Eye Dog,Dog,I have 10 beautiful puppies! They are not Pure Breds,they are better! They will grow to be medium sized,short hair,5 are black,4 are black with a touch of brown above the eyes and on the paws,and one is brown. I raised their mother,and uncle from birth,as their grandmother was poisoned by a "Mean Colonel"! These puppies are ready for "adoption" to anyone who has a "Good home" for them. They are not "for sale" just looking for someone to love them! Criss Colon Tel Cel# 710-4370

Sorry about sniffy, I'll pray for your little dog.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Still learning this new forum. I have no idea how I got my name on Criss's reply.

Again, I'm sorry Jan and I'll be praying for Sniffy.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I can't believe you People! That dog shouldn't be out in the street. If you are going to have a pet please keep it in your house or in your yard. People who let their dogs run loose are selfish and lazy.
The reason that the SUV didn't stop is that if he did all of the riff raff would have come out and claim it was their dog and ask for "compensation"!
Now I am a "Dog person" I use to breed Champion Dobermanns, But Anna, Get a grip. You are going to pray for a dead dog?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Sniffy is alive! But she still can't see. She is walking a little...against the walls. And I appriciate your dog offer Chriss,but Sniffy would be so jealous,and I have a small 2 room apartment,so it just wouldn't work..but someday...
I am trying to teach Sniffy to follow my voice but she is still so sore..imaginf the headache she has!!!
I want to take her to another vet for a second opinion but I have no car and need to wait for someone to take me...
But all will be fine..blind of not she is my best friend!
And thanks for all the letters of concern.. My friends are bringing her treats and I have had many people come visit her. Maybe someday you all can meet my girl!
Sniffy is usually on a leash but we had a flat and she went out to pee and saw a dog across the highway and went to take a sniff..couldnt stop her. I see it happening in my sleep.it was terrible. But remember ..life is good, even when it sucketh!!

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am very sorry about what happened to your dog Jan. :( My mom, an animal lover has lost a couple of dogs and 1 or 2 cats in crashes. Granted that the dogs escaped and went into the streets, but my mom is still feeling guilt for having let the door out for Punky, our puppy when we were kids.

I cannot find a good excuse for a person purposely hitting an animal. I'd like to give the driver the benefict of the doubt. Sometimes when driving I've had to swerve on the road to avoid hitting even small animals (frogs and such and such). Sometimes swerving would have meant provoking an accident on the road, so the poor critter ended up under my tires. Believe it or not a lot of people brake for animals, even for critters, but sometimes it would be too risky. I've seen it a lot of times on the road.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Come on Tony

Tony,come on,have a heart!I Know Jan feels bad enough without you telling her she should have had the dog on a leash.Thats like saying those girls killed by the drunk truck driver last week should not have been in the street."OK",I agree! I guess the gym at the local Country Club was booked! This is Santo Domingo,not West Palm.Now tell Pam you are sorry,and I won,t mention what "Fidel" told me! OK? Criss Colon

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
In English DOG spelled backwords is GOD!

I had my dogs Mitzy and LuLu 18 years till they were killed in a fire. They were like family to me so ,of course I will pray for them.
While im sure some Domincans are insensitve just like people of other races or cultures are. there are also Domincans that are very caring toward animals. I had Mitzy i Santo Domingo and she was treated like a queen. In the old days when walking down the
Conde the people at Mantecados Bonin would give the mitz ice cream. and the Barberia in Mercedes would give her a trim. She was even Welcome to go Bye Bye car on the autobus to San Pedro on Sundays from Parque Enriquillo. So it just depends the people you meet. I wouldnt judge everyone by some peoples actions(getting off Soapbox now) Ls

Last edited: