Customs Clearance Complaint

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Who does one complain to in getting a package released from Customs? On April 24, I used Federal Express to send a pair of prescription glasses to a (Dominican) friend. The package arrived in Santiago on April 27. There it has been
held hostage. I am in touch with Fedex everyday and they told me that their hands are tied once they ship into a Country and it is at the discretion of the receiving Country to regulate. Once Customs release the package then they would deliver to the final destination, which is Sosua.
My friend have spoken with the Customs officials and they have promise to clear and get it delivered to it final destination everyday but nothing has happen yet. I am at wits end. Any suggestions?
I forgot to add that all of the duties have been paid.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sounds like "Customs" lost it..........

Once all duties were paid it should have been released, I use BmCargo and a package was being passed back and forth between "Custom" stations until BmCargo had their people resolve the situation.

BmCargo said my problem was because the value was over $200 USD and they took care of the problem. FedEX is giving you a run-around.

Last edited:
Sometimes they just keep things for fun I think, or are just lazy who knows. It does seem to happen to lots of peeps I know.
In the DR ya kinda gotta be patient and hope for the best. i know this would be totally unacceptable in US/Canada but stuff is really chill here.

You can keep on calling and I am sure they will keep saying they will get on it. (Manana) DO ask if they need any other documents sent/faxed emailed to them.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Ask FedEx for the contact information for the customs broker they use. Contact the broker directly and ask if there is anything they need to get the package released.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Sounds like "Customs" lost it..........

Once all duties were paid it should have been released, I use BmCargo and a package was being passed back and forth between "Custom" stations until BmCargo had their people resolve the situation.

BmCargo said my problem was because the value was over $200 USD and they took care of the problem. FedEX is giving you a run-around.
My party spoke with a Custom Officer last week and was given a cell phone number to an official whom I am assuming it assigned to but he is not answering his (cell) phone. The official that she spoke with indicated that it was in fact there.
The value is listed at $500.

Apr 13, 2011

That's your issue. If you declared $500 value, then customs wants to collect the taxes before it gets cleared and they will hold it until those taxes are paid. Fedex will not pay it for you or your receiver. Your receiver needs to go to customs and pay the taxes.

Apr 13, 2011
he already posted:
"I forgot to add that all of the duties have been paid. "

If all duties were paid in the DR at customs in person (as usually necessary), then the receiver should have asked for the package to be handed to them at that time of paying the duties.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
maybe a customs guy took a liking to the glasses, happened to need a pair and the rest is history. It works like that here. Were they really good looking glasses for $500 declared value. Come to think of it I could use a new pair. Trying to force a Dominican person to do their job usually does not turn out well. Trying to get a government employee to do anything is nearly impossible and that is when you are in the country and you are a Dominican person. Free advice. Buy another really cheap pair and send it off with a cheap declared value. It will help if the second pair is ugly. Good luck.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Don't use FEDEX. I don't know what their deal is (or problem) but they have an inordinate amount of problems with Aduana here.

Too late now, I know, but for all you other folks.

I have used the three biggies (FEDEX, UPS, DHL) hundreds,if not thousands of times, and FEDEX is the leader by a long shot when it comes to problems with customs.
You are absolutely correct! To be honest with you, being an airline person, I should have gotten off my lazy duff and walked them over myself. I am still kicking myself.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
if they are giving you a long run around then they are either lost or stolen... never use fedEx in the DR

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
When I worked mail-order, we always shipped DHL for overseas. UPS and FedEx were fantastic for domestic shipping, but DHL was equipped to handle international shipping and customs better than the rest.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I used FedEx POP once in 8 years. The package sat in customs for 30 days before it was released. ($100.00US) HA! Next time use one of the private companies. I never list the value of the contents. The private company I work with seems to get everything through just fine. You mileage may vary! Respectfully.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
I used FedEx POP once in 8 years. The package sat in customs for 30 days before it was released. ($100.00US) HA! Next time use one of the private companies. I never list the value of the contents. The private company I work with seems to get everything through just fine. You mileage may vary! Respectfully.
Yelp! Received package yesterday. It sat in the Customs Office for 30days.
No duties debited from my card. I will never go that route again!