How to have a document picked up in Jamaica and sent to DR?

Hans De Schryver

May 12, 2015
The Belgian Embassy told me I need to organize a pickup of a document that needs to be sent to me here in the DR.
I called FedEx, DHL, UPS, Vimenca and InPosDom to find out if I could pay for such service online and have them pick it up at the specified address in Kingston (Jamaica).
None of them seem to offer this service to individuals. FedEx and DHL do, but only if you're a company and have an account with them.
I asked the embassy for assistance, but they told me they can't help with that, and that numerous people from the DR have documents picked up daily.
So my question, how do those other people do that??

Any tips greatly appreciated!
-- Hans

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ask "gorgon", A POSTER HERE ON dr1,to contact you.
He is from Jamaica and has some family there who are not incarcerated.
Maybe they can help you out???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
Go to UPS office (real office, not franchise dealer) either in SD or Las Americas and request a prepaid label. They can then send the label by email to the embassy which would print it out and call for pickup.

Hans De Schryver

May 12, 2015
Thanks Rubio... will call UPS first thing in the morning and see what they say
Santo Domingo is several hours from where I live... so I want to be sure before I make the trip.
-- Hans

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
A tad confused. The embassy in Kingston have a document for you, and you are in DR? Or there is a document in Kingston that needs to be sent to DR Embassy? Or there is a document in Belgium that has been sent to Kingston rather than DR where you are that needs to be redirected to DR? Or other?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
A tad confused. The embassy in Kingston have a document for you, and you are in DR? Or there is a document in Kingston that needs to be sent to DR Embassy? Or there is a document in Belgium that has been sent to Kingston rather than DR where you are that needs to be redirected to DR? Or other?

I think he has to fly to Belgium to fax a document to Jamaica and then send it UPS to Santo Domingo.

I can't make sense of it either.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"WHO's On First"?????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tech Savvy person insert classic "Abbott & Costello" routine here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Jah Mon, pickin' up de docs @ da You Pee Es depot, and roll up da fattie mon.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
I would say, open an account online with either Fedex UPS or DHL, you might need a credit card to put on file for payment.
once account created, create a shipping label from Jamaica to Dr. Print the shipping label in PDF format. Email the label to your contact in Jamaica and ask if they are able to place the label on your package. If yes, Schedule a pickup at the address in Jamaica with the carrier you had selected.

Feb 7, 2007
I think he has to fly to Belgium to fax a document to Jamaica and then send it UPS to Santo Domingo.

I can't make sense of it either.

The OP's post was very clear and I don't understand your confusion.

OP has a document at Belgian embassy in Jamaica that needs to be picked up by DHL/UPS/Fedex and sent to the OP in the DR. OP mentions no faxing or flying.... don't know where you came up with that.

Feb 7, 2007
I would say, open an account online with either Fedex UPS or DHL, you might need a credit card to put on file for payment.
once account created, create a shipping label from Jamaica to Dr. Print the shipping label in PDF format. Email the label to your contact in Jamaica and ask if they are able to place the label on your package. If yes, Schedule a pickup at the address in Jamaica with the carrier you had selected.

That's basically what visiting a UPS office would achieve.
BUT your suggestion would be good IF it was possible, which it is not. You must be on a post-paid/billed account to do a third-country pickup. Credit card - backed account would not suffice. Been there, tried that.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The OP's post was very clear and I don't understand your confusion.

OP has a document at Belgian embassy in Jamaica that needs to be picked up by DHL/UPS/Fedex and sent to the OP in the DR. OP mentions no faxing or flying.... don't know where you came up with that.
Sounds like the Belgium Embassy are as hopelese as the British.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
That's basically what visiting a UPS office would achieve.
BUT your suggestion would be good IF it was possible, which it is not. You must be on a post-paid/billed account to do a third-country pickup. Credit card - backed account would not suffice. Been there, tried that.

Is there anything you haven't tried?

Hans De Schryver

May 12, 2015
UPDATE: After a lot of persuasive explaining over the phone with a UPS agent, I may have found a good solution.
I will update this post when everything is done, so I don't muddy the waters with maybe's and unsuccessful trials.
I regret that several posters don't seem to be very serious with their responses, or simpy don't read what's been written.
Fortunately, there's Rubio! Thanks!

Hans De Schryver

May 12, 2015
UPDATE: As promised, the final result:
UPS provided the perfect solution.
After several calls to a UPS agent in Santo Domingo (809-200-5177, option 1, Alex Guzman), I received an email where I was invited to create a business account. Even though I am just an individual, I could use my personal name as business name and put my passport number as RNC.
Shortly after submitting the form to the agent, I received an email with the price for my shipping and a UPS bank account in the Dominican Republic, where I could transfer the money via online banking.
The same day I issued the transfer, a shipping label for my package was emailed to the sender (Belgian embassy in Jamaica), and to me, along with the tracking number.
The embassy printed out the label and called UPS to schedule the pickup; the package left the embassy the same day.
Via the tracking number I could follow exactly where the package was at, and to my great surprise, after 6 days it was hand-delivered to me right at my door by a motorcycle taxi.

I am greatful to the UPS employee in Santo Domingo (Alex Guzman), who was extremely helpful and called me several times to keep me posted.
Maybe this post will help others in the Dominican Republic as well.

Take care,
-- Hans