What is the best way to send a bank card from Canada to puerto plata

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Purolator, Fedex, UPS or DHL. Or you can try the mail but it might take 1-2 months to receive it.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
when you request a new debit card through telephone banking it is best to make sure you give your passport number, a contact number in p.p. so fed ex or whoever can call you and make sure it is not addressed "care of". Also never reveal your pin code, if you do to a telephone banking rep they would be obligated to delete it and then the only way to get a new pin number would be at a branch or atm belonging to your particular financial institution.
Also you can attach your credit card to your bank account over the phone which would be instant. Then use the credit card at an atm same as a debit card. :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Send it by normal mail or courrier to a P.O. Box address in Miami. The person received would need to set up an account (if they don't have one) which with many companies is free and simply pay the cost of shipping from Miami to DR which for an envelope should be around 50 pesos max. Shipping time from Miami to Puerto Plata should be around 3 days. Shipping to Miami will depend on which means you use to send it.

damnitsarah

May 26, 2015
Send it by normal mail or courrier to a P.O. Box address in Miami. The person received would need to set up an account (if they don't have one) which with many companies is free and simply pay the cost of shipping from Miami to DR which for an envelope should be around 50 pesos max. Shipping time from Miami to Puerto Plata should be around 3 days. Shipping to Miami will depend on which means you use to send it.

What she said. There are many couriers in Puerto Plata: Fedex, DHL, Caripack, and it's free to join. It's way faster/potentially more reliable than regular mail.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

Lately, this hasn't been working very well. I have a Business Mail account that is currently requiring four to six weeks for LETTERS to be delivered from Miami. Packages arrive in about a week, but letters, which cannot be tracked, take a very long time. I talked to EPS to see if their service was any faster, and was told that they have two different addresses - one for letters and a different, more expensive, one for packages. If I use the package address from EPS, letters take three or four days to the DR from Miami, but the charge is around 250 pesos.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Lately, this hasn't been working very well. I have a Business Mail account that is currently requiring four to six weeks for LETTERS to be delivered from Miami. Packages arrive in about a week, but letters, which cannot be tracked, take a very long time. I talked to EPS to see if their service was any faster, and was told that they have two different addresses - one for letters and a different, more expensive, one for packages. If I use the package address from EPS, letters take three or four days to the DR from Miami, but the charge is around 250 pesos.

I haven't had any issues with CPS. They often don't even charge me for letters. If Business Mail is the only one having issues, then we can't generalize by saying that shipping via a p.o. box doesn't work.

damnitsarah

May 26, 2015

I haven't had any issues with CPS. They often don't even charge me for letters. If Business Mail is the only one having issues, then we can't generalize by saying that shipping via a p.o. box doesn't work.

Not only that, but I also use Business Mail and I've never had any issues. My packages usually take about 2 -3 days (if it's sent by a private courier like UPS and/or Fedex not by USPS, in that case I'd take a week like you said). AND for letters, I've never had to wait for more than a week to get them. I live in Santo Domingo, btw, not in Puerto Plata. Anyways, just thought I'd add my experience with their services.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
All I can say is that I received a letter (US First Class Mail) in March via Business Mail that was mailed USPS in December. I received a different letter in late March that had a response date earlier than the date I received the letter. EPS in Puerto Plata also told me that their normal address for letters was taking three to four weeks.

Edited to Add:

I am currently waiting to receive a letter that was mailed from the US via USPS on May 8. Not here yet, and today is May 27.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I used DHL once.I had a envelope shipped to my bank in Bavaro. They phoned me from the bakery next door to my bank saying they were sending the envelope back to Canada as they could not find my bank.
I eventually got the card but I would recommend anyone but DHL.

Aug 6, 2006
I used DHL once.I had a envelope shipped to my bank in Bavaro. They phoned me from the bakery next door to my bank saying they were sending the envelope back to Canada as they could not find my bank.

A delivery company that cannot find a bank is a pretty miserable delivery company. Banks are generally well known and non-migratory.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A delivery company that cannot find a bank is a pretty miserable delivery company. Banks are generally well known and non-migratory.

Does WIKI state that banks are non-migratory?
Migratory birds have to put their funds somewhere safe!

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
We have tried this twice in 8 years using FedEx and an MIA mail service to POP. Both times the card was removed from the package. Your mileage may vary but.....the one of the first posters suggested someone from your home country bring it to you. This I know works! Respectfully.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots of service oriented businesses in this country are a crap-shoot. What is possible or works well on Monday, may not work at all on Tuesday but works again on Thursday.

I've had no issues with EPS. Their letter post forwarding service (PO Box address) does take considerably longer than their package service (Doral FL address). The PO address is cheaper than the other address as mentioned in a previous post. I am not advised by email when letter mail is available for pickup but the nice lady in Sousa let's me know if there is mail when I go to pickup packages. My affairs are structured so that I do not expect mail from third parties and I have no need for a debit card here in the DR.

So for me, with packages being the focus of my attention EPS works well, is a little expensive but I don't mind that for the quick customs clearance and multiple emails letting me know where my package is at any given time. I have no doubt that for a small gratuity, the lady at EPS would give me a call if letters arrived for me that I was in a hurry to collect as soon as possible.

I've never used the postal system here and don't see that system being a reliable and convenient option anytime soon.

Aug 6, 2006
I'm a little surprised you would condemn a entire courier company due to the actions of one driver who may have been confused, but so be it.

=======================
Many years ago, when dinosaurs prowled the Earth and Pterodactyls hooted trough the trees, I delivered prescriptions
When I could not find the address of a customer, I brought the RX back to the pharmacy, and they sent out a driver who knew the way.
Banks are listed in every directory of every city everywhere. Someone at DHL could have called the bank's phone number and gotten the address.

Knowing the address is a crucial part of any delivery business, just like lighting the grill is a crucial part of the burger business.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
My experience with the postal service is that four of five letters sent via US DR mail were delivered within three weeks of being mailed. A fancy greeting card in a larger envelope did not make it.
Writing on the envelope "FOTOS: FAVOR DE NO DOBLAR" (photos: please do not bend) may have been why my letters were successful.
I in fact, send photos. There was no sign of tampering, I was told.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

Had they found the bank, would the bank have been willing to receive it for you? When I used to work at a bank, that was a big no no.