The future???

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I think someone said this was going to happen. I can see more of this happening but only in the tourist areas and you will probably pay more. You know they will add on that 18% and he has to cover the processing fee.

https://youtu.be/EqnxAai2UfQ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is nothing new, it has been done for years elsewhere. the problem i see with taxi drivers moving forward with using this technology is the fact they would likely have to be registered. in any case, i hope it catches on.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
this is nothing new, it has been done for years elsewhere. the problem i see with taxi drivers moving forward with using this technology is the fact they would likely have to be registered. in any case, i hope it catches on.

It's been done in DR for years? Yes nothing new elsewhere, but here in DR?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I think someone said this was going to happen. I can see more of this happening but only in the tourist areas and you will probably pay more. You know they will add on that 18% and he has to cover the processing fee.

https://youtu.be/EqnxAai2UfQ

Will never happen in Santo Domingo Centro. The closest thing I can vision is possibly a pre-pay with credit card at the airport.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's been done in DR for years? Yes nothing new elsewhere, but here in DR?

yeah, hardly the "future". more like the "past" because new payment technologies have been developed since. but DR is still in the middle ages.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Never would I give my credit card to a taxi driver in the d.r.. You can't even use money machines at banks without out getting your card cloned. :eek:

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Never would I give my credit card to a taxi driver in the d.r.. You can't even use money machines at banks without out getting your card cloned. :eek:

Too much dishonesty in DR. Why take a chance with your credit card with an individual you will never see again. Just pay in dollars, Euros or pesos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will only use an out of country credit card here in an emergency. Even local credit cards are prone to fraud. The fraud is most often perpetrated at the credit card processing centers.

Those "happy" people in the video or likely to be "unhappy" when they get home.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
yeah, hardly the "future". more like the "past" because new payment technologies have been developed since. but DR is still in the middle ages.

Duhh, that's why I said the future, I'm referring to taxi in the DR. I wasn't posting about the technology being new. :rolleyes:

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I do agree, the card payment technology doesn't fit in Santo Domingo, why? I was robbed once by a Taxi at SDQ since the driver says $700RD one way from SDQ to Quailty Inn hotel but the boss says roundtrip for $1200RD so I took his offer and paid the $1200RD and when I was having issues with the hotel and called police on me and got me kicked out and forced me to get new taxi so I decided to call that driver since I already paid R/T and guess what? He came and say sure and hop in and took me back to airport. Know what he did? he demand me a new $900RD fare. I was like WTF?! I showed him the $1200RD recepit with writting from the boss. Driver doesn't care and demanded me to pay, I refused and he called police and boy, about 10 police officers came and said for me to pay or take me to jail. I told him follow me and went up to jetBlue office and spoke with the manager there since they know me to well since I'm deaf and he explained and Police still dont care and being a b*tch and threated me to PAY other $900RD. So I fed up and paid the fee and the jetblue manager was ncie enough upgraded me to the bigger seats and I saved $30 then I went ahead got on plane to JFK.

Boy, dont trust these taxi drivers if your paying by card.. Best to use CASH, period.

Once I arrived in the states, I immediately called American Express and emailed all the documents to them, within 2 hours, they voided ALL transcations even the hotel stay too.

Be careful what your using in DR, that is why I advise everyone, use CASH.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Cash or credit, never EVER pay for services in advance..........especially in the DR. You might as well kiss it goodbye.