New chipped credit cards

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone know if the new credit-debit cards with embedded chips will work in Dominican auto tellers? I asked my bank in the US the question and of course they have no idea. Its some sort of new card to try and slow down the thieves. Like that will work? At any rate the bank wants to replace my cards.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The ATMs that accept them are becoming less and less. My UK bank debit card has a chip in it and so far Banco Popular seems to be the most reliable. At least with the chip you are safer from having your details stolen from a modified ATM as the new machines actually read the chip. Also many stores now accept the chip and pin card with their Verifone point of sale machines. It's slowly getting safer to use your card in the DR.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Scotiabank ATM's work with the new cards. I've never used any other bank because of the ATM fees and Scotia is free for me and my BOA card.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Are they really safer with the chip? Someone charged mine recently after I renewed and got one with a chip. In all the years I've been using credit cards, locally and abroad, this is the first time this has happened to me.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Those radio frequency chips have all your info including mothers maiden name etc. Since criminals are always one step away from technology they have apps to read your data with a smart phone or tablet. You can request RFID free cards from your bank but know that US passports also have the data chip. The linked article outlines possible work arounds.
sacbee.com/news/business/personal-finance/claudia-buck/article2599038.html

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A lot of our cards have been replaced recently with the chip cards. Not all machines accept the chip, but all the chip cards I've received still have the magnetic strip that you can also swipe.

I used the chip side last week at Sam's Club - you have to stick the card in the bottom of the machine sideways, and leave it there throughout the transaction. I'm used to swiping and putting the card away immediately. The "leave the card in the machine until completion" backfired on me because the cashier asked me something about sales tax, distracted me, and I ended up leaving the card in the machine when I left.

I think I'll be swiping from now on :)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I too have, for 2years now, a credit card with chip, I only use it for internet purchases and at the bigger supermarkets here and so far I too have had no problems, but what I don't understand is the way all the supermarkets sometimes use the chip and other times scan.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The protection offered by the chip is only in play when one inserts the debit/credit card into a point of sale terminal in a store and you enter a pin.

As long as it is still possible to make purchases on the internet, on the telephone or just by swiping the card, the usefulness of the chip is questionable.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Facebook has your mother's maiden name and place of birth.

The cards aren't new, just new to the USA.

Where can I get one of those scanners?

Those radio frequency chips have all your info including mothers maiden name etc. Since criminals are always one step away from technology they have apps to read your data with a smart phone or tablet. You can request RFID free cards from your bank but know that US passports also have the data chip. The linked article outlines possible work arounds.
sacbee.com/news/business/personal-finance/claudia-buck/article2599038.html

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Aah ha. I failed to take into account that some of these posts may refer to cards with "invisible" NFC chips. I had assumed we were for the most part talking about the gold colored chip that one can see when looking at the card itself. It is this visible chip that is supposed to offer increased security by making it harder to duplicate the card and to "require" the card's insertion into a POS terminal capable of using that chip.

The other chip (NFC, may or may not be in the card. You can tell if you see words similar to "easypay, pay & go or you see what looks like a wifi logo printed on the front of the card) used for "tap and pay" is a convenience thing and in Canada is usually restricted to purchases of under $100. Want to spend more, you need to insert the card and enter a PIN.

These security chip cards are relatively new to the US so the infrastructure needed for their use may not be available everywhere. Normally when a new debit/credit card is issued/replaced, one must call the bank to activate it and at that time you are instructed to create or change your PIN. Sometimes the banks send a letter with a PIN if this is the first card issued by that institution.

Here in the DR newer POS terminals are slowly being installed and over time, should become more available. The US is many years behind the rest of the world in chip tech in bank cards so it will take a while for everyone to see them and get used to their use.

Still, these security chips are not fool proof and every time these new cards are used in a situation where the chip is not in use, the card is just as vulnerable as the old card was.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
o.k.
i didnot know there are two kinda "chips" for credit cards.
mine is the "golden color Chip" shown on the left front of the card right over the first 4 digits of the cardnumber.
i have that mastercard since i was 16 years old, it get's replaced every 4 years. the cardnumber and the PIN stay always the same on the card replacements, the only thing that changes with every new card is the 3-digit security number on the back of the card, which is necessary for the internet purchases for example. but the PIN to get cash out of a ATM never changed. at the ATM's i know about here in DR and PR that chip does not offer any additional security, as i would not know that it is used for anything when i swipe my card thru the cardreader of a ATM or at a supermarket or do a online purchase. it works exactly the same way as it always did before that chip been there.
somebody knows how that chip thingy works/should work? or is it just in place to comply with different security standards of specific countries where a ATM/Supermarket etc would read the data of the chip for whatsoeverthingy.
for example for online purchases on the cyberspace, nobody could check any data on that chip, you just put in your cardnumber and that stuff and at the end confirm with the 3-digit number shown on the backside of the card.
just curious.
i use the card lately just for online purchases (and only when PayPal is not accepted for a Item/Service.
for many years i took regularly cash out of ATM's but since that cash goes different ways to different accounts todays such is rare.
for leftover money on the Pesos checking account i use the DR Debit card, mostly at the Marina fuel dock, where i feel safe with it.
othawise, as CCCCCC would agree to,
Cash is KING in Island Kingdom.
who knows the specifics and where in use for that Card Chip(the golden printed one)??

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Called AMEX and the new cards with chips and strips DO NOT need a pin to be used in the Chip Readers. Don't know about Visa or MasterCard.

no PIN in the chip readers, o.k., but for the ole fashioned magnet stripes machines they need their PIN, otherwise that card could not be used at many ATM's/in many countries, as til now many do not support the chip-reader-system.
and fraudulently collected Card Data can still be used without a chip-effect online, the same as it always was.
thanks for the update, always curious about such new stuff.

Mike