Looking for cleaning solutions for pool tiles.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I have ceramic tiles around the inside top of my pool, about 6 inches from the top. They are very dirty and I need a solution to clean them.
I had a solution that I could use with a pad and clean them while in the water, pool is not empty. This chemical has no ill effects to
humans or the water. Been to 2 places in Sosa and a few place in POP, where I live. No luck. Any one have an idea how to clean them?
The container I had has lost all of the text on it so I have no idea what it was called. thanks.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We just used a razor blade and it seemed to be easier when the "ring of dirt" was not under water and exposed to the sun for a day or so. Came off very easy and it was 5 years worth.

Bob K

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Acido muriatico.....the pool one if not too dirty....
The one for tiles if very dirty ( small purple bottle ).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As an alternative, drain the pool so that the water level is below the bottom of the tiles. Then use a small scrub brush and a bucket of TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) mixed as per directed on the package. TSP is mildly caustic, works well on calcium build up as well as greasy gunk. Clean the tiles, swipe with a damp cloth and you're done.

TSP being caustic and poisonous, you want to make sure any dogs in the area don't drink out of the bucket when you are not looking but the small amount of cleaning solution that drips into the pool during the scrubbing process will be diluted by the enormous volume of pool water and not pose problem to people, animals or the pool itself.

For discoloration on the tiles or the grout, use a tooth brush and full strength supermarket Cloro. Apply generously, let sit for 5 - 10 minutes and wipe away with a damp cloth.

TSP is really cheap and has many cleanup uses both inside and outside the home. If using TSP frequently, a pair of rubber gloves might be good idea.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
"This chemical has no ill effects to humans or the water."
you cant say that about Hydrochloric acid....

U use it anyway in the pool...... so dont use it for a couple of days, and what falls in is " normal pool chemical ".

Ah, and of course dont do it bare handed, and dont drink it.......

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
If your tiles are "crusty" from mineral deposits, use vinegar in a bowl with a green scratch pad. If you can find CLR, that would be my first choice. I've bought it before at La Sirena in POP, so it should be available. spray it on, let it set, use a scratch pad to clean it off. Check the pools Ph afterwards, and adjust as necessary. If you have greenish or black stuff on the tiles, use chlorine with the same scratch pad.