Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for cleaning solutions for pool tiles.

I have ceramic tiles around the inside top of my pool, about 6 inches from the top. They are very dirty and I need a solution to clean them.
    I had a solution that I could use with a pad and clean them while in the water, pool is not empty. This chemical has no ill effects to
    humans or the water. Been to 2 places in Sosa and a few place in POP, where I live. No luck. Any one have an idea how to clean them?
    The container I had has lost all of the text on it so I have no idea what it was called. thanks.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We just used a razor blade and it seemed to be easier when the "ring of dirt" was not under water and exposed to the sun for a day or so. Came off very easy and it was 5 years worth.

Bob K

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Acido muriatico.....the pool one if not too dirty....
    The one for tiles if very dirty ( small purple bottle ).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"This chemical has no ill effects to humans or the water."
    you cant say that about Hydrochloric acid....
    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Acido muriatico.....the pool one if not too dirty....
    The one for tiles if very dirty ( small purple bottle ).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

As an alternative, drain the pool so that the water level is below the bottom of the tiles. Then use a small scrub brush and a bucket of TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) mixed as per directed on the package. TSP is mildly caustic, works well on calcium build up as well as greasy gunk. Clean the tiles, swipe with a damp cloth and you're done.

TSP being caustic and poisonous, you want to make sure any dogs in the area don't drink out of the bucket when you are not looking but the small amount of cleaning solution that drips into the pool during the scrubbing process will be diluted by the enormous volume of pool water and not pose problem to people, animals or the pool itself.

For discoloration on the tiles or the grout, use a tooth brush and full strength supermarket Cloro. Apply generously, let sit for 5 - 10 minutes and wipe away with a damp cloth.

TSP is really cheap and has many cleanup uses both inside and outside the home. If using TSP frequently, a pair of rubber gloves might be good idea.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbiee View Post
    "This chemical has no ill effects to humans or the water."
    you cant say that about Hydrochloric acid....
    U use it anyway in the pool...... so dont use it for a couple of days, and what falls in is " normal pool chemical ".

Ah, and of course dont do it bare handed, and dont drink it.......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If your tiles are "crusty" from mineral deposits, use vinegar in a bowl with a green scratch pad. If you can find CLR, that would be my first choice. I've bought it before at La Sirena in POP, so it should be available. spray it on, let it set, use a scratch pad to clean it off. Check the pools Ph afterwards, and adjust as necessary. If you have greenish or black stuff on the tiles, use chlorine with the same scratch pad.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

the same vinegar that Dominicans use for salads ????? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    If your tiles are "crusty" from mineral deposits, use vinegar in a bowl with a green scratch pad.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbiee View Post
    the same vinegar that Dominicans use for salads ????? ;-)
    Yes.. it's acidic.. 5.2-5.5 ph. same as stomach acid