Alternatives to all-inclusive in Las Terrenas?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
We'll be driving to Las Terrenas for about 3-4 days, and we still don't know where to stay. We usually stay at Bahia Principe El Portillo, but the last few times haven't been that great.

So we're thinking of avoiding the all-inclusive and staying somewhere else (a Bed&Breakfast maybe?), and then go to lunch or dinner at restaurants nearby. The only requirement is that it has direct access to the beach, that it's a nice place and, if possible, has a good breakfast included.

Our budget is basically what I would pay for the all-inclusive, about $150/day for everything. I was looking at something similar to Vista Mare, but in Las Terrenas. It'll be my girlfriend and I.

Thanks.

Franco 66

Aug 1, 2013
Trip Advisor and word of mouth recommend Hotel Alisie,i love the beach at El Portillo,but the the food was mas o menos.Has anybody stayed at Sublime Samana ? Looks nice

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playa Bonita is very nice - excellent beach.

One restaurant is run by the chef of a former French Prime Minister ( I'm told - Mitterand?)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We'll be driving to Las Terrenas for about 3-4 days, and we still don't know where to stay. We usually stay at Bahia Principe El Portillo, but the last few times haven't been that great.

So we're thinking of avoiding the all-inclusive and staying somewhere else (a Bed&Breakfast maybe?), and then go to lunch or dinner at restaurants nearby. The only requirement is that it has direct access to the beach, that it's a nice place and, if possible, has a good breakfast included.

Our budget is basically what I would pay for the all-inclusive, about $150/day for everything. I was looking at something similar to Vista Mare, but in Las Terrenas. It'll be my girlfriend and I.

Thanks.

Hotel Aliesi or Hotel Colbri are both very nice and right across the beach road from the ocean on Playa Las Ballenas which is the nicest beach in LT. Either one of those will be a good choice and location.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I'm sorry but to me those kind of prices a real rip off prices there are lots of good hotels in LT at much more reasonable prices and priced in RDPesos not US$.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I'm sorry but to me those kind of prices a real rip off prices there are lots of good hotels in LT at much more reasonable prices and priced in RDPesos not US$.

Please name some reasonable priced hotels.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The OP states that you have previously stayed out at El Portillo so my guess is you are looking for a relaxing time on the beach as your priority and to a budget.

Several of the posters have suggested The Atlantis which is on the lovely Playa Bonita which is about 10 minutes away from the town and will be within your budget (the portal I normally use booking.com has a night for two with breakfast at under 3k rd with tax). As mentioned the food is great and the owner was indeed the personal chef to former French President Mitterand. He is also the French consul and himself and his staff offer excellent personal service. There is no swimming pool at this time....I understand a pool and spa is planned. The rooms are all different and some remodeling is underway. It is a very relaxing hotel to stay at and I have stayed there many times and love the ambience and the peacefulness. You can enjoy walks jogs along the footpath along this lovely beach. You can also walk in the other direction to Punta Bonita and round the corner onto Playa Coson which is 10km long and a gem. I've often walked around to Luis restaurant had lunch there and walked back. Ramona's on Playa Bonita also does a local range of dishes (it is another small beach hut type place popular with those that know the area). I would also add that at weekends you may be rubbing shoulders with the French and Canadian Ambassadors at Atlantis..........maybe that tells you that the food can be very good indeed.

This may not be the place for you and you want to be in the town. Prices vary but as an example Hotel Aleisi and Colibri prices on the portal I mentioned are at over 5k rd plus tax....and frankly the Playa Las Ballenas whilst a nice beach is not especially nice in front of either of the two hotels compared with other locations in LT and s across the road. I lived between the two for 9 months and was on that beach daily and the place to swim is at the far end by Loma Bonita. Aleisi would be my preference.

The only hotel that I have stayed at on the other side of town is the Albiachara.......great pool similar town prices....no restaurant but they do a breakfast...and again beach is over the road and not particularly nice.

Hope this helps and I am sure other posters can tell you more of the places further along Playa Poppi.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

might be the website I chose that spat out the US $$ prices.........dunno

$75US isn't a ripoff hwere I come from.... assuming a comfort level

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the input, I'll take a look at them and let you know.

What about Sublime Samana Hotel? I know someone else in the thread asked about it. It seems a little more than my initial budget, but it looks incredibly nice.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks for the input, I'll take a look at them and let you know.

What about Sublime Samana Hotel? I know someone else in the thread asked about it. It seems a little more than my initial budget, but it looks incredibly nice.

Not stayed there but it is on Coson Beach and when walking past it seems a decent place. It seems to be more expensive and I have heard reports that the chef is good and cuisine is good.

It is about 20 minutes from town.......no more than Portillo.

It is not on the best part of this lovely long beach...............it is prone to some decent waves when the wind blows (less than Bavaro Beach) and when calm is nice for swimming.....even better towards Nomads.

You can walk to your right on the beach right up to Punta Bonita and around the corner to Playa Bonita. If you head the other way and around the point which is subject to erosion, you get onto the best Coson beach offers especially beyond Rio Coson and towards Luis's restaurant ( a must weekdays) and Casa Coson (a good small hotel on lovely beach front).

This is a quiet but lovely area with a backdrop up to the lomas of Coson.

Your OP suggest that you have a car so you can consider some of the better beaches in Las Terrenas and pay your trips into the hustle and bustle of the small pueblo as you desire. Google the images of these beaches and you will see their beauty which is largely untouched by development.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are traveling in May, early June, my suggestion would be to get there early and check out several of the small hotels to find one to your liking and budget. US$150 plus meals plus two people will not get you into Sublime Samana.
Las Terrenas, Samana is right on a beach, so having to walk five minutes to the beach is nothing. See the Las Terrenas map in this DR1 Guide to Samana (the Las Terrenas section is in the back part of the guide). You could stay at any of the hotels to the south of 27 de Febrero (the road to Portillo) and walk to Las Terrenas beach or Playa Popy, and you would still be walking distance to the central part of town with the restaurants and shops. Or you could stay at the hotels in Playa Las Ballenas area, or further to the west, Playa Bonita.

As suggested, Coson is a good place to stay (probably Casa Coson will fall in your range with breakfast only), but you do not want all meals included in Samana because the best part is going out to eat.

To name other reasonably priced hotels:
Palmas al Mar, Oasis, La Dolce Vita, Playa Turchese Residence, Los Pinos, Albacchiara, Casas del Mar Neptunia, Casa Robinson, Rincon de Abi, Residencia del Paseo, Caribey, Coco Plaza, Playa Colibri, Villa Eva Luna

The guide book is dated, but with the exception of the closing of the Taino Park and the upgrading of Mi Vieja breadstore, much of everything else is still as is.

http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

Last edited: