National Apagon tonight

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Who knew? I am on Camino Llibre in Sosua. Last night at about 8, the transformer box on the pole right in front, was sparking, as in fuego. My dinner guest and I finish our soup (auyama with a hint of curry) and then called Edenorte. By the time the chicken was on the table, bless their hearts, Edenorte arrived. (Chicken was delish: in a balsamic-tamari-ginger glaze with eggplant) Entire neighborhood blacked out for 45 minutes. Hallelujah!

However, we are on inverter tonight, & we don't usually have apagons at the weekend.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2006
Wow! Our electricity was out too long 8pm until 3am in Santiago. And then it went off again from 4 to 5am. I was wondering what was going on. Out power never goes out more than 4 hours and it is usually a very set schedule which does not include Saturday nights.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
we wont notice the difference in POP. we have not had more than a few hours of electricity this week, anyway.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Power was out everywhere except the east, apparently. Service as usual in Punta Cana, B?varo.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Power supply in my barrio in Sosua has been very sketchy over the last week. Much worse than usual. Many short outages and a few longer ones. Last night we were out from near 10pm to 3 am there abouts and maybe as in SD it went out again later on, didn't notice with my eyes closed.

Since I climbed out of bed this morning, the power has remained on, but supplied voltage has dropped off a couple of times and caused my computer UPS to boost the supplied voltage but the energia as not failed completely. It's still early...

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Here in Los Cacicazgos/Renacimiento in Santo Domingo, power went off at around 8pm Saturday, came back for a while around 6am this morning then off again and still off as I write at 9.15.............outside the air is thick with the noise of generators and black with their exhaust emissions.........

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Tienen Idea

the power was out in costambar too, starting from around 10 pm.

Could take a while...

"Poco despu?s de las seis de la tarde empez? a registrarse una sucesi?n de apagones en la capital y comunidades de provincias, pero la situaci?n se agrav? alrededor de las 10:30 de la noche cuando el pa?s qued? bajo penumbras... se indaga sobre el origen de la explosi?n... no tienen idea de cu?ndo podr?a ser restablecido el servicio, que estiman no ser? pronto..."

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in our area the power was back at 1 am or so. are other places still suffering from this blackout?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Santo Domingo, "off" at about 10 pm.
"on" about 5 am, now "off" again.
We will NEVER know why, because each department that has any involvement in the DR power grid, is breaking their "OWN A$$" to place the blame else where!!
Nothing new there!!!!!!!!!!!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Santiago.

The power in my neighborhood (El Dorado) went out at about 10PM and I don't know when it came back on, I was asleep.

Feb 7, 2007
About 35 cents a kilowatt. But it's always on. Thanks.

CEPM has it's own "isolated" network. It has its own power generating plant in San Pedro de Macoris (Sultana del Este), it operates its own high tension transmission lines from there to PUJ/Bavaro, it's basically a system of its own. It's not interconnected at all with Sistema Electrico Nacional Interconectado (SENI) operated by ETE (Empresa de Transmision Electrica) which is part of CDEEE. So if Sultana goes down, whole Bavaro power will be down and no way to restore it ... unless they have some emergency connection to SENI which can go up at moment's notice (but which is disconnected most fo the time, otherwise it would go down with domino effect as well).

What happened here was a domino effect. For example, articles say blackouts started at 6 pm, in many places the power went out between 8 pm and 10 pm (her in my house 10.06 pm as per EdeEste automated information line), and by 10.30 the whole country was down. ALso some areas started to get power back up as early as 3 am, by 6 am most of the country was up, we got power back here at about 8 - 8.30 am (I guess Edes used a variant of FIFO inventory management - FOFI*)

* FIFO - first in first out / FOFI - first out first in.