New Member- From NYC

Soverihn

May 17, 2015
Sup y'all. New member here from the NYC. I'm a Dominican and I've a very large interest in the country, the culture, the geopolitics and perhaps above all, the history.

Hope to have fun and learn a lot here.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Dominican Yol"

I'm a Dominican and I've a very large interest in the country, the culture, the geopolitics and perhaps above all, the history.

That's good.
I guess, you are Dominican by descent and may not have been in the DR yet (or only at a very young age)?

donP

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Welcome soverihn. You will find history topics in the Haiti thread. Some people post amazing primary sources.

When you post read the guidelines. There are some restrictions until you stick around long enough to gain 500 posts.

For the historical bibliography alone this forum is worth it's weight in gold to me.

Soverihn

May 17, 2015
Thanks all.

That's good.
I guess, you are Dominican by descent and may not have been in the DR yet (or only at a very young age)?

donP

Not quite. I was indeed born in the US because my parents wanted to take advantage of the whole 14th Amendment (anyone born in the US has US citizenship), then I immediately went back to DR lived there for some time before moving to the states as a kid.

I've visited the country several times.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Thanks all.

Not quite. I was indeed born in the US because my parents wanted to take advantage of the whole 14th Amendment (anyone born in the US has US citizenship), then I immediately went back to DR lived there for some time before moving to the states as a kid.

I've visited the country several times.

Your parents did a wonderful act in bringing you to the promised land. Why would you be interested in what happens in expensive, corrupt, insular and non functional country ?

I live here and I dont even give a ^&& anymore

Soverihn

May 17, 2015
Your parents did a wonderful act in bringing you to the promised land.
It wasn't a promised land for me. If anything my quality of life and money my family had decreased when I moved into the states. Looking back in hindsight my family would have had a much better opportunity if they stayed in DR as we, (like the rest of our extended family) were potentially in the position to take advantage of the economic boom that happened post 2003 than developments in the US.

Why would you be interested in what happens in expensive, corrupt, insular and non functional country ?
Lots of reasons.

1) Because these things can be fixed and I want to try to help in doing that.

2) Same reason Im interested in Ghana, Afghanistan, the DRC, Indonesia, Colombia, and other 'bad' countries.

3) I very much prefer the culture and location of DR.

4) More I learn and study the US, the less I want to live here.

5) I don't buy into the American dream; nor do I like the strings it comes attached with.
I live here and I dont even give a ^&& anymore
Now why wouldn't you care about developments back home?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Come HOME", THE DR IS IN NEED OF DOMINICANS LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't come back like "Leonel" and give is the same old "MIERDA"!!!

cCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It wasn't a promised land for me. If anything my quality of life and money my family had decreased when I moved into the states. Looking back in hindsight my family would have had a much better opportunity if they stayed in DR as we, (like the rest of our extended family) were potentially in the position to take advantage of the economic boom that happened post 2003 than developments in the US.

Lots of reasons.

1) Because these things can be fixed and I want to try to help in doing that.

2) Same reason Im interested in Ghana, Afghanistan, the DRC, Indonesia, Colombia, and other 'bad' countries.

3) I very much prefer the culture and location of DR.

4) More I learn and study the US, the less I want to live here.

5) I don't buy into the American dream; nor do I like the strings it comes attached with.

Now why wouldn't you care about developments back home?

this is one of the best postings i have read in this site for years. Soverinh, if you are ever in the country any time soon, please pm me so we can have a beverage together and shoot the breeze.

i spend my early mornings sitting at a beachside cafe, having a liesurely breakfast in peace and quiet, taking in an ocean breeze. it costs me pennies. to do the same in a place like NY would cost an arm and a leg. only the independently wealthy can eat in oceanfront eateries there.

Soverihn

May 17, 2015
Thanks all, once again.

Is that phonetic, like when Dominicans say Feybooo ?

LOL

Oh I missed this. Nah, this name comes from when I wanted to join another forum as just 'Sovereign' but that name was taken, so I changed a few letters to get an available name.