diario libre "journalist" excel in maths

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the story of the day in the morning:

mts384.jpg

so, 2,953 is 75.19% of 6,880? uhm... luckily the readers of DL have brains and they picked on the mistake in comments. DL has since corrected it and moved the news to sidebar.
Costo de agua, luz, internet y tel?fono es 42.92% del salario m?nimo - DiarioLibre.com

looking forward to see the writer being mocked on kerisa.net. i am not the only one who took the screen shoot of this mistake. :devious::devious::devious:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i excelz in grammar, ha ha ha. in my defense i changed the plural to singular just before posting :laugh:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
it is dominican math. I guess that even to use "calculadora" you have to know what numbers to put to get proper results...

I was working with some information for a possible grant proposal, and to my horror discovered, when I set up an Excel spreadsheet, that the totals were all wrong. The numbers I was given did not multiply out to the total indicated. Big problem, to say the least. I figured that somehow the numbers were entered wrong into the calculator.

This was the work of someone with a Licenciado who was working toward the Magister?a.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I challenge anyone to find an article in the DR media that answers the basic five Ws (who, what, where, when and why).

The "journalists" are deficient but what are the editors doing, I wonder?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I challenge anyone to find an article in the DR media that answers the basic five Ws (who, what, where, when and why).

The "journalists" are deficient but what are the editors doing, I wonder?

carrying passengers on their motoconcho.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was working with some information for a possible grant proposal, and to my horror discovered, when I set up an Excel spreadsheet, that the totals were all wrong. The numbers I was given did not multiply out to the total indicated. Big problem, to say the least. I figured that somehow the numbers were entered wrong into the calculator.

This was the work of someone with a Licenciado who was working toward the Magister?a.

everybody is a licenciado. i hve a card of a guy who is a loanshark, and it has licenciado before his name. the guy never spend a day in school.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I work a bit for the DL English edition on line. When I get articles, I have to be really careful with the numbers,
which sometimes I think are just
thrown in there for fun...

There was a front-page picture of A-Rod when he hit his 661 homer, and it listed his home runs per team:
Texas: XXXX
Mariners: XXXX
Seattle:XXXX

This is the big picture, the major eye-catcher on the front page...

I told my editor: "Uh, DUH? Aren't Seattle and the Mariners the same team???

His return comment: "mieerda!" And we got it corrected in time for the print edition to come out right...

But billion, millions and %%%, they really do need to check on things.

Regarding that story by dv8, It seemed to me that the cost of the services for the
lowest minimum wage earners (those in the free zones) could be quite a percentages of
earnings...I did not do the math, however...

HB

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

Please explain: Licenciado[/I] and Magister?a

Tom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the important part no one mentioned in DL is, of course, that those with minimum sueldos don't pay their bills. water is subsidized, power is stolen and internet is bought by the means of recarga. when our costs are 2,100 for internet and house phone, about 3,000 for mobiles (with internet), around 2,500 for power and 500 for water. this is 8,100 a month...

Please explain: Licenciado[/I] and Magister?a

licenciado is equivalent to BA and magisteria is equivalent to MA. theoretically.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Donkey Number

.... I guess that even to use "calculadora" you have to know what numbers to put to get proper results...

Indeed.
Just punch in "7353"....
and let the other person read it upside down.

He/She will then know what he/she is (in German). :laugh:

donP