Bahia Principe expansion Portillo

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Grupo Pi?ero presenta proyecto expansi?n Bah?a Pr?ncipe en El Portillo - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

Not sure if the expansion of an AI adjacent Las Terrenas is all together a good thing but at least it is planned on the Portillo Beach.

I note the plans include closing off part of the existing Limon - Portillo road and diverting it.

Definitely need to make sure the arriving and departing traffic stays out of the town and uses the new boulevard.

The region definitely does not need this type of hotel on it's better beaches IMO.

I see a few other new hotels are planned for LT , with one of those being a refurbishment (I think) on Coson Beach near Sublime Samana. http://www.las-terrenas-live.com/la...an-construccion-dos-hoteles-las-terrenas.html

The existing infrastructure in LT pueblo is going to be sorely tested in the future.

Last edited:

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
Having issues posting.
From what I can attempt to translate...my spanish sucks....they are expanding to 1500 rooms?

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
It's a fantastic resort, nice rooms,Great food and fantastic service from the Dominican employees! We have been back four times mainly because of the friendly service we get from the Dominican staff working there!
I'm sure the operators know what they are doing...the have very successful resorts around the world. My concern would be the pools....the two they have now aren't enough to accommodate the 4-500 rooms they presently have. They can build a bigger and better pool! The beach would be the problem. It is large enough to be comfortable for the current size of the resort. Triple the number of guests and that beach will be standing room only? Have they acquired more beach?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I guess that they have acquired more beach front to the east based upon the article.

Sorry but I'm not an all inclusive fan but I guess when you look forward to your regular holiday in the sun it works for you. Do hope you try and get out of the hotel and visit some of the very special beaches close to the resort next time.

You may want to investigate a day out to Playa Coson ( about 10km away on the new boulevard) with lunch at Luis Restaurant.....actually he is a squatter on various beaches over the years and it is a rather basic set up on a special part of the beach but his fresh seafood and simple cuisine can be exceptional....you don't find many such places in the Caribbean...and himself, family and workers are a nice bunch of Dominicans. I found the place on recommendation from Lonely Planet down a muddy dirt road back in 2006 not fit for my old Honda Accord at the time....now you can check him out on Trip Advisor.

Playa Coson is one of those beaches I would not want to see AI's on.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008

Playa Coson is one of those beaches I would not want to see AI's on.

10 and more years ago Playa Coson was "crowded" by a.i.-tourists who made their bookings for the " El Guatanapal", later "Viva Samana". "Bahia Estela" was another a.i.-Project at Coson.

Saludos

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
EXPANSION
maybe they know something we don't.... like more flights into AZS.....huh?
wouldn't that be nice for LT?

They can't go too far east...there's a condominium project next door , isn't there?