Soundproof Windows, Doors, Inverters, Iron Bars - Seeking Opinions

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'm starting on a major upgrade on my condo in Santo Domingo. I'm seeking opinions from Dee Ah Wonners on good reliable suppliers in Santo Domingo.

1 - I will install double pane windows with the best soundproofing qualities to keep street noise out and dog noise and fragrance in.

Opinions on the best company to replace windows.

2 - I want to replace my front door with the best soundproofing qualities. The existing door is made of untreated pine and is a buffet for little critters.

Opinions on a reliable company to use for purchase and installation. Opinions treated pine versus Caoba.

3 - I have iron bars on my front window and front door and will install them on my other windows.

Opinions on a reliable herrero to do the work. The guy who did my existing iron work is good but I want to get quotes from several people.

4 - I'll install an inverter. Blackouts are back.

Opinions on good and reliable places to buy an strong inverter with good guarantee on the inverter and the installation.

5 - I'll install an air conditioner in my bedroom office.

Opinions on a reliable company to buy an air conditioner with installation

Feb 7, 2007
not much help myself as I do not live in SD, but get an inverter type air conditioner. Look for SEER number, the higher the better, preferably over 20.

The higher the SEER, the lower the electricity consumption, but the higher the air conditioner sticker price. Installation usually comes included with the purchase.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
]
1 - I will install double pane windows with the best soundproofing qualities to keep street noise out and dog noise and fragrance in.

Opinions on the best company to replace windows.

You can find suppliers in DR of European style windows, if you want very good quality and are ready to pay for it. If you want decent quality for a reasonable price I can give you the name and number of a guy who changed most of our windows over the past year. Before we used Induca, but the quality of their end product has been going down the drain. This guy uses the same materials but is more perfectionist in building the windows and installing them.

Often however they suggest you use laminated glass for keeping the sound out. It's a little more expensive than normal double glass, I fell for it, but regret it (this was with Induca). The normal double glass does a much better job keeping sounds out than the laminated glass version. (the latter is two layers of glass sticked to each other with a thin foil layer in between. The normal double glass version has to layers of glass with a space in between. Much better. (and cheaper).

I'll send you his details by PM.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a really good inverter guy in SD - whole family uses him. His name Julio Cesar, phone # 809-875-8628.

Sending you a pm.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You can find suppliers in DR of European style windows, if you want very good quality and are ready to pay for it. If you want decent quality for a reasonable price I can give you the name and number of a guy who changed most of our windows over the past year. Before we used Induca, but the quality of their end product has been going down the drain. This guy uses the same materials but is more perfectionist in building the windows and installing them.

Often however they suggest you use laminated glass for keeping the sound out. It's a little more expensive than normal double glass, I fell for it, but regret it (this was with Induca). The normal double glass does a much better job keeping sounds out than the laminated glass version. (the latter is two layers of glass sticked to each other with a thin foil layer in between. The normal double glass version has to layers of glass with a space in between. Much better. (and cheaper).

I got a provisional cotizacion from Induca and that's exactly what they did. They pushed the laminated glass. I didn't commit to anything. I'll call your man.

Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'll third it.... Lamentation is a useless upsell when it comes to sound suppression. In the DR1 office we used two separate glazed windows with a 2" air gap. It cut down the noise from the school behind us by a massive amount. Saying that, this is often not practical unless you got the space to install two separate frames.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013

Mauricio, could you please pm the details of this company.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would not go for "Lamination" under any circumstance, unless it was laminated glass panes with an airspace between the 2 laminated glass panes.
You have to remember, this is the DR with a few suppliers of questionable products , not NYC, with a ton of suppliers, but costing tons of money.
Being totally deaf in my right ear is a blessing here in the DR.
I just put my good ear, left side down, against my pillow and I'm out!
I would suggest ear plugs at night, and maybe a "White Noise Generator" before I spent a lot of money that may not produce the desired results.
Then you would be "PI$$ED OFF", and still hearing too much noise, try and sleep THEN!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC