Giging is out, but need help with frog in Cistern.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Got a pretty good size frog in our cistern. Problem is I don't want to kill it in the cistern I want it out alive. Also, the cistern is under our back porch.
So the opening is very small and not over the center of the cistern. Once the top is open the frog swims away and can't reach it
or even see it. Any and all ideas appreciated. Yea, I know this should be in the clown bin, but is a real problem for us. thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
FISH, for him.
Get a hook, some line, and put some meat on the hook, chicken liver should work.
PULL HIM UP, CUT HIM LOOSE.
OR, drop a hungry duck in the water.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why is this a problem? it's not like it can get stuck in the pipes, is it? we get frogs and tadpoles in our cistern occasionally. i just let them be. no harm done. my advice is the same: don't be bothered with it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cistern Froggie

There is a level of 'cloro' the frogs do not like.... ;)
Or use a torch and a pool net.

You mean the opening is not big enough for you (or a kid) to get in?
That would be a mistake done.

donP

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I couldn't drink water knowing that frogs were in it...doing frog stuff. God only knows what they're capable of.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
open it up, put a plank in for it to climb onto. It'll probably wait till night time and climb out. Only problem is that could invite his friends.
I presume you can get in or you wouldn't beable toclean it. Climb in with a net, kids little fishing net maybe and catch him.
Last resort is block the overflow and flood it, he'll have to come out. Do that in the day and leave the hatch open so he can see the l7ght to exit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Call the company that cleans your cistern about every 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time for a cleaning I'll wager????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I would drink it with my new Tiva water filter system.

But not if frogs were in it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Call the company that cleans your cistern about every 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time for a cleaning I'll wager????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

definitely not now. water is too expensive. better done in rainy season.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
What is it with all the frog phobias? Are Dominican frogs particularly filthy. I'll bet you don't wash your pans before each use, and wirse than frogs will be playing in them through the night.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Im not gonna bother Googling it.. but dont frogs eat like Mosquito larvae and other small organisms which could harm you if you drink them ?
the Little Fella is doing you a Favor, and you want to kick him off the job ??
I say leave him in there for now.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Throw a big fish in the cistern. Once the frog has been eaten, catch the fish and and fry him. Circle of life and such.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I couldn't drink water knowing that frogs were in it...doing frog stuff. God only knows what they're capable of.

Very few people drink the water from a cistern in the DR. Who knows what is in that water that filled it?

As for the frog, I like the fishing idea.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
In my young crazy days in the Quebec Laurentians we would sometimes use a 22 and shoot most of the frogs on the lake. Then we would use a net to scoop the body and have frog legs for dinner. Excellent!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

No one in their right mind would drink cistern water. It is used for just about everything else except drinking,

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Before refrigeration was invented, frogs were dropped into buckets of milk to keep it fresh, so they can't be that bad for you. Of course, these are Dominican frogs vs European ones, so who knows...