Porfirio Rubirosa, Dominican Playboy

Aug 6, 2006
One of his wives was tobacco heiress Doris Duke. Porfirio was her second husband, She paid Rubirosa's wife $1,000,000 to give him a divorce, and he got a prenup agreement that gave him millions of dolars, a sports car and even a converted B-25 bomber.
The marriage lasted from 1947 until 1951m and Doris never married again. She was six feet tall, by the way.

If you are in Honolulu, you need to see her home there, Shangri-La, which has a huge collection of Islamic art.

He was born in San Francisco de Macoris, but grew up in Paris.

Rubirosa was linked romantically to Dolores del R?o, Eartha Kitt, Marilyn Monroe,[8] Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Soraya Esfandiary, Peggy Hopkins Joyce, Joan Crawford, Veronica Lake, Kim Novak, Judy Garland, and Eva Peron.[8] He dallied with his ex-wife Flor de Oro Trujillo Ledesma during his marriage to Doris Duke, and with Zsa Zsa Gabor during his marriage to Barbara Hutton. He was named a co-respondent in at least two divorces, the wives charging adultery in each case.

He was the walking definition of the word "Playboy", perhaps the ideal that Hugh Hefner was thinking of when he namend his magazine

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
He was the most successful Dominican sankie. The difference is that he made a lot of $$$ doing it.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
He was the most successful Dominican sankie. The difference is that he made a lot of $$$
doing it.
it is said from people close to him that Fluor Closed herself in the bathroom on the night of their wedding. She saw his tool and screamed and locked the bathroom door. Guess he slept alone that night!
His tailors always made a pouch for the tool that all could see on the right side of his leg. Guy was not shy!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Shawn Levy's book The Last Playboy: The High Life of Porfirio Rubirosa is good read. On a side note, Doris Duke & Rubirosa had many homes and one was in Bethlehem, NH. Each Halloween even though the house was only used in the summer a servant was ordered to place candy in a huge crystal punchbowl in the lighted foyer. Kids would ring the doorbell forever and no one was home to answer. Do you suppose she had a hidden camera to catch the looks on the frustrated kids?

Aug 6, 2006
I doubt that.
Duke was not a mean person.

I imagine that she just made out the schedule and then forgot that she would not be in NH for Halloween.

I wonder if the B-25 that Doris gave Porfirio is among the few restored B-25's still flying.
All those WWII aircraft were gas guzzlers, except perhaps the C-47, which was designed a civilian airplane, the DC3
There are still some of those in service, but I imagine with newer engines.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
defined jet set Latin playboy. Imagine being pimped out by your father-in-law. Excellent profile in vanity fair. 15-20 years ago. Been fascinated with him ever since.