Annual firearm ballistics check

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I need to venture down to SDQ tomorrow to do a few errands. I also need to do the annual ballistics check for my gun licence renewal. Can someone remind me of the address please?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We wait till they threaten us before we do anything. We dont renew till they threaten. We dont take any test or checks till they threaten to take the permit. This is just the dumbest idea meant to discourage legal gun ownership. Wonder how many armed criminals have been brought to justice due to the annual ballistic check? Bet its zero. I do not know the address but I feel better after my little rant. Thanks and good luck. Hope you pass the test. Does anyone ever fail the annual ballistic check? Pointless rule thought up by some do gooder politician with zero knowldedge of firearms.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am happy we got the shotgun permament permit........ let the hand gun one expire now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I need to venture down to SDQ tomorrow to do a few errands. I also need to do the annual ballistics check for my gun licence renewal. Can someone remind me of the address please?

is this the place?: Si es pistola o revolver dirigirse con el arma al Sistema Nacional de Armas (SISNA), en la M?xico No. 66 casi esq. M?ximo G?mez, a realizar las pruebas Bal?sticas y Biom?tricas. Costo RD$ 3,267.00. En 10 d?as laborables retirar las licencias en la misma sucursal del banco donde se pagaron los impuestos.

Ministerio de Interior y Polic?a

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
is this the place?: Si es pistola o revolver dirigirse con el arma al Sistema Nacional de Armas (SISNA), en la M?xico No. 66 casi esq. M?ximo G?mez, a realizar las pruebas Bal?sticas y Biom?tricas. Costo RD$ 3,267.00. En 10 d?as laborables retirar las licencias en la misma sucursal del banco donde se pagaron los impuestos.

Yes, this address is correct.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Those IDIOTS gave me my pistol back with a part missing! Did not check it until I was home. What to do? Drive a 100 miles and cause hell or order the part on Ebay $10.00. Can't wait until I go back there. They also said card would be at bank in 10 days; how about 9WEEKS. Idiots!

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Those IDIOTS gave me my pistol back with a part missing!
Probably they stole the part because one of the guys or his friend needed it for his gun of the same model, so they were waiting for somebody with the same gun.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014

Next street from Hotel Lina to the left.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks all. Yes it was relatively easy to find, although you do have to negotiate the nonsensical one way system!

The process, like last year was pretty efficient with one additional bonus. I had done the anti-doping test the week before, so my results were already in the system. Once the ballistics test was done they printed out my new plastic there and then.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Once the ballistics test was done they printed out my new plastic there and then.
Right in the same lab, not in Ministerio de Interior y Policia? This is something new.

Usually they printed plastic in MIP building and then it was sent to the bank.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Right in the same lab, not in Ministerio de Interior y Policia? This is something new.

Usually they printed plastic in MIP building and then it was sent to the bank.

Yep! Right there at the lab! The whole process took no longer than 20 mins.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We wait till they threaten us before we do anything. We dont renew till they threaten. We dont take any test or checks till they threaten to take the permit. This is just the dumbest idea meant to discourage legal gun ownership. Wonder how many armed criminals have been brought to justice due to the annual ballistic check? Bet its zero. I do not know the address but I feel better after my little rant. Thanks and good luck. Hope you pass the test. Does anyone ever fail the annual ballistic check? Pointless rule thought up by some do gooder politician with zero knowldedge of firearms.

Ballistics imaging systems compare marks made on all bullets (the projectiles)and/or cartridge cases by the handguns, rifles, and shotguns from which they are fired. Because marks on the bullets or cartridge cases are unique to the firearm that fired them, an exact matching of such marks with a test bullet or cartridge case is accepted in court as proof that the bullet(s) and/or cartridge case(s) under investigationwere fired in a specific gun.

These unique marks sometimes are referredto as ?bullet fingerprints? or ?bulletprints.? Although the marks on successive bullets
and casings, made by the same gun, change over time, studies have shown that enough suitable marks remain to identify all bullets and casings fired from that gun.

Criminals, however, could intentionally attempt to defeat ballistics image comparisons or prevent the matching of bullets or casings with specific crime guns. This could be done by replacing, where possible, those gun parts that make marks on bullets(the barrels of guns) or on the casings (firing pins, ejectors, etc.); by making additional marks on firing pins, ejectors, etc.; by using non-standard ammunition; or by permanently disposing of the crime guns.

Just a few examples why the DR mandates the annual checks for registered guns.

The DR is building a robust national ballistics information databank, which can be shared with the FBI and other international Law enforcement agencies. Much like the U.S. "National Integrated Ballistics Information Network or as better known: NIBIN".

The FBI has assisted the DR in setting this important and crucial databank. They said they couldn't have it their way back in the sates, but the best and most reliable way to achieve almost fool-proof prints was to carry it out annually.

Since we are the DR and the gov can do as it likes for the most part above the heads of any registered gun owner, it did.

So you can say our databank is more precise when it comes to this data!

We are one step ahead since we acquired a nice laser marking tool from a non-U.S. donor to make sure all gun parts belong to the same frame.

Haven't you notice the Police has been arresting a lot more military/officers involved in armed crimes as of lately?

All their guns have undergone the same practice, only better.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Gun parts are cheap and available. Anyone wanting to defeat the process just changes barrels and gun parts that nick the cartridges although its primarily the barrels internal grooves that marks the bullets that is used as evidence and not the ejector marks on the cartridges. In New Jersey (naturally) there was a Mafia hit man nicknamed "iceman" who always changed out his pistol after a contract. Took the cops years to catch up with him and only then because he had other issues. In the meantime in the DR licensed and law abiding owners are subjected to these needless ineffective regulations. Does anyone believe that small town DR has a ballistics lab or calls in Dominican CSI? I am considering giving up the concealed handgun license and going to the shortest barrel 12 guage pump in stainless steel. Anyone know the rule on overall legal length? ? I see these sleeping watchees with what looks like 18 inches.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
So Pichardo you are telling us that the arrest of a underdetmined number of military/officers involved in armed crime is a direct result of this law? And the FBI cannot have it their way in the US but because they are such great guys they are coming down here and having it their way in the DR? Are you back on the pipe?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Total Bull**** from Pichardo as usual. You have a gun, just keep it and forget about every year paying money and jumping through hoops.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
The reasons stated above by Pichardo are ridiculous.

To the best of my knowledge the NIBIN in the U.S. contains digital data of recovered ballistic evidence from previous crimes, NOT digital ballistic data from legally registered and owned guns

The only reason annual checks are required in the DR for registered guns is to pay for the fancy building and equipment where they are conducted.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

To the best of my knowledge the NIBIN in the U.S. contains digital data of recovered ballistic evidence from previous crimes, NOT digital ballistic data from legally registered and owned guns

The only reason annual checks are required in the DR for registered guns is to pay for the fancy building and equipment where they are conducted.

Don't forget about paying for that shiny new train they call the metro.....gotta pay for that too....

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Ok, in my gun the barrel is not fixed, so I can swap it for another one in 10 seconds. So what if I have two barrels, one I use only when I go to ballistic lab, and another one I use every day. Now tell me how their modern system can help to identify me by the bullets fired from my gun?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Ok, in my gun the barrel is not fixed, so I can swap it for another one in 10 seconds. So what if I have two barrels, one I use only when I go to ballistic lab, and another one I use every day. Now tell me how their modern system can help to identify me by the bullets fired from my gun?

The shell casing can be matched by several marks produced when shot from any firearm, including a shotgun.
As you noted, you can swap the barrel on some guns, but hardly can you replace the receiver itself as easy.
Again, the swapping of barrels on a gun in most cases leave behind marks from the tools employed, in the case of revolvers that can be done so. For this very reason is why the DR employs a new marking tool on the main parts of all guns undergoing the process. That's to say not only is the bullet marks recorded, but also the marks produced by the firing pin, seating, ejector, receiver, etc... on the same shell. Added to the new marks placed on the gun parts as noted.

Yes you can swap the barrel, but the bullet casing will still leave behind a clear print of the gun that fired. In the case of a gun that was used to commit a crime and the barrel later swapped, the swap will be easily detected as the bullet marks fired from the new barrel will not match the old print. Unless you say that a person will swap the barrel, etc... prior to using a registered gun to commit a crime? Pretty stupid and highly unlikely as noted by the reason of the ammo casings.

You can get a robust profile of a shotgun's spent case as well. As noted, the marks left behind from the receiver will be there.

In the case of the DR, it simply helps the Police to know if the weapon used to commit the crime was registered or illegal. This allows the investigators to focus on other parts for clues in finding the authors of the crime.

The news of when we got that specific marking tool for guns was published a while back in the DR media. Most if not all of you missed the tiny report as usual.

Also missed the press release of the FBI assisting the DR Police in setting up the lab and databank, linking both ours and theirs.

The ballistics are taken, but also marks stamped onto the most essential gun parts at the same time.

The annual check is to keep the database as updated as possible since wear and other factors play a role in changing characteristics of the guns. A check also goes on to see if essential parts have been changed on the guns and noted.

Like I said, the FBI would love to have the ease of access and rules like the DR can when it comes to guns and how to gather data on every single one in the hands of the citizens.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

The U.S. way of collecting the data pales to how the DR can gather ours. We don't have the "the right to keep and bear arms" as codified in the Second Amendment of the U.S. constitution in the DR.

They are required as noted and because this is the DR, not your country Laws. We can get away with it and more.