Hello From Louisiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikita

May 20, 2015
Hello everyone!! I am currently living in Louisiana in route to the Seattle area in a few short months. I found your forum and I thought it would be a great way for me to get some additional information on the DR being as though my husband and I plan on retiring there in a few short years after he gets out of the Army.

We have not been there yet but have visited many islands in the Caribbean and are planning a trip in the next year after we get settled in Washington. Actually my husband is from St. Croix so he is very familiar with Island life.
Neither myself nor my husband are of Hispanic decent. I am actually originally from Baltimore and have lived in several different places to include Europe (Germany to be exact) for over 5 years. I am interested in learning the culture and the language as well as just chillaxing on someone's beach and sucking up the sun.

What kind of advice can everyone give me about making the decision to relocate to DR?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nobody can give you any advise on that, yet.
you first have to visit to get a first basic feel.
come over for some months, rent a nice appartment near a beach and find out if that's your cup of tea.
from there on, ask your questions about specific stuff, about different locations etc etc.
welcome to DR1

Mike

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's interesting that those that say don't aren't leaving themselves. The best thing you can do is read all the negative and positive experiences and then come first for a short trip- one or two weeks to an area that you have researched and see if it meets your expectations. Don't wear rose coloured glasses and don't buy until you've rented and really made up your mind. Every place has it's warts , so good luck.

Just know that a short Vacay is nothing like living here. It is not all sunshine and beaches

Before you buy stay in the area for a year and rent.

Crime and safety is a problem as well as the lying for some. I have had no problems with crime but know a lot who have!

Good luck wherever you decide to live

Welcome to dr1

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's interesting that those that say don't aren't leaving themselves.

yeah, blah blah, yawn. it's about whether to move here not about dealing with a curse of already being here. if i knew DR as i know it now i would have insisted on miesposo coming to europe rather than me moving here. but it seemed exotic and so romantic at a time.

Aug 6, 2006
The beaches are ever so much more charming on the Baltic.
And then there is the delightful Northern European weather. Just like Detroit or Weehawken.

But the food is probably better.

Everywhere has its charms.

Chikita

May 20, 2015
Thanks for the advice. I have a friend from DR and she says that Casa De Camp and La Romana are good places to live. Do you agree? I am more of a city girl at heart but I don't mind the country as long as I am near to the city.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let me qualify that.
If you have a good stream of outside income, say $5.000 a month for a retired couple, you might come here and rent for a year, AFTER 2 or three 2 week visits here, OUTSIDE an all inclusive resort.
I KNOW,I KNOW, there will be others saying you need much less, but who wants to come here to live like a poor, or even a middle class dominican?
I want to live like a RICH,..NOT SUPER RICH, dominican,even I can't afford THAT!!!!
They must know that there a no government services here, and only "Hired Help" is cheap.
Wanna pay my 20,000 peso electric bill this month??????
Neither DO I"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You help no one by "Low Balling" living costs here.

Take your proposed monthly buget, then DOUBLE IT!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Her come the "Nay Sayers"!!!!

BOTH those places are great, esp. Casa de Campo!
You have several hundred thousand US to get started?????
Out of curiosity, how much can you afford if you were to buy a nice house.condo, and what is your monthly income when you retire.
Tell us that and we can be very specific about moving here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why do you say don't?

you are living a tropical dream, gurl. beach, sand, cocktails. the basic infrastructure of this country is flawed: power, water, roads. if you want an island life go to bahamas.

a decade ago people would read a lovely book about the joys of relocation, sigh and dream. today they feel obliged to write on an internet forum about their fantasy of moving to the country they have never visited and they know nothing about.

Chikita

May 20, 2015
Your electric bill is that expensive. According to the conversion that is almost $450. Is that about average for an electric bill or do you run fans and A/C all day? How big is your place?

Chikita

May 20, 2015
Let me qualify that.
If you have a good stream of outside income, say $5.000 a month for a retired couple, you might come here and rent for a year, AFTER 2 or three 2 week visits here, OUTSIDE an all inclusive resort.
I KNOW,I KNOW, there will be others saying you need much less, but who wants to come here to live like a poor, or even a middle class dominican?
I want to live like a RICH,..NOT SUPER RICH, dominican,even I can't afford THAT!!!!
They must know that there a no government services here, and only "Hired Help" is cheap.
Wanna pay my 20,000 peso electric bill this month??????
Neither DO I"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You help no one by "Low Balling" living costs here.

Take your proposed monthly buget, then DOUBLE IT!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Her come the "Nay Sayers"!!!!

BOTH those places are great, esp. Casa de Campo!
You have several hundred thousand US to get started?????
Out of curiosity, how much can you afford if you were to buy a nice house.condo, and what is your monthly income when you retire.
Tell us that and we can be very specific about moving here.

I think that purchasing a home for no more than $150,000 will keep us in the comfortable range. When he retires we will have a monthly income of about $5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.