reasons for relocating

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Some questions for those of you who've relocated (from Canada, US, or elsewhere) to live in the DR...
What was it that compelled you to make the move? Was it the climate, money, people, different lifestyle? What were the big motivators?
Did you find that you missed your home country more that you thought you would?

curious ...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The reasons are varied...

Love, marriage, opportunitiy, escapism, you name it.

i am surprised that no one has mentioned what we call "Culture Shock", at least not lately.

Culture Shock is a psycological phenomenon that generally appears a few weeks to a few months into the stay in a new and very different country. It might occur in changes of climate.

When a European or Canadian or American comes to the DR they inevitably experience Culture Shock: Driving, supermarkets, prices, music, and many times attitudes are all part of the equation.

With foreknowledge and preparation, this shock can be lessened. That is one of the very positive things about the Internet and places like DR1 and Samana.net and Debbiesdominicanttravels.com.

HB

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
My wife and I relocated to the DR about a year ago.

Motivation was to take some time away from the stress of our jobs back home, see another part of the world and see their culture, and to learn another language. We had no jobs lined up when we came down. We came here with some cash in the bank and the understanding that if we could not find work that could sustain a 1-2 year stay, we would return home to Canada after 3-4 months and get back into the work force there.

Things I miss:
-snow
-winter sports
-family/friends
-educated people to have conversation with (at first....have a good group now)
-Customer oriented service from phone/power/cable companies
-Efficient systems to pay bills and get problems dealt with
-Cleanliness - Dominicans love to throw trash on the ground/street/rivers/beaches...
-government/police that I can "trust" are doing the right thing

Things I don't miss
-my big screen TV, and other "toys" that seem to matter less now
-Walmart on boxing day
-people that complain about NOTHING and think they have it so bad
-Taxes!!

marc

richard

Jan 1, 2002
it has been years since I did it but at the time I was fed up with Canadian taxes and winters plus the fact I didn't want to reach retirement age and have to admit I hadn't had the guts to do something different. I didn't miss the snow or the income taxes in Canada, that's for sure, in fact there was very little aside from family that I did miss. If my family situation was different, I'd be back in a flash. Good luck and enjoy.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Our family relocated when we were little because my dad got a job at the university. There were 7 of us kids, and our mom too! We all adjusted differently. I was the oldest. At 13 I got a circle of friends, learned the language, and would have stayed longer, even though I left friends back home.
The rest of the kids connected at different levels. My sister has lived in Mexico since, and speaks Spanish. I think most of the kids learned some Spanish, but don't practice any more. One brother began to learn to read in Spanish, and had a tough time learning to read in English when we returned.
My mom understands some Spanish, but doesn't really speak it. She used to read the paper to our maid. She understood, but couldn't read. Mom could read but not understand.
We made wonderful Dominican friends and it's sad that it is so difficult to keep in touch - or even find them after such a long time. I just hope they feel as fondly towards us as we do towards them :)
We returned after the first year, mostly because the kids were so homesick.
Would I do it again? Yup! That's why we moved to Japan during 2000 for my husband's job. We were able to give the opportunity to our kids. Maybe it would have been different if i didn't _know_ it was do-able. Would I still do it again? Yup!
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Marc: "-government/police that I can "trust" are doing the right thing"

but, I thought you said you were from Canada... (just kidding) ;)

I don't know if I would ever miss the snow, gimme enough water sports and I can't see myself ever craving a skidoo ride... :)

My guess would be that if I relocated, I've have a steady stream of family and friends coming to visit if they had a free place to stay... wait, not sure if that's positive or negative, lol ;)