visa residency from the DR

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Normally one should get the residency visa from the DR consulate in his country, then get here to complete the residency process. But what happens if you are already uin the DR without the famous visa...

Can you still regularize from here? And you to di it?

:)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
http://dr1.com/forums/legal/150755-summary-residency-requirements-2.html#post1570160

from the lawyer at Guzman et al

When applying for a residency permit applicants must be aware that, although related, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Immigration Department are 2 different institutions with different policies when it comes to granting visas and residency permits.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs current policy is that residency visas will only be granted to applicants who: a) have close relatives who are legal residents or Dominican citizens; b) Qualify under one of the investment programs as Investors (US$200,000.00), Rentistas (US$2,000.00/month); Retirees (US$1,500.0). Exceptionally, the Ministry might grant visas to applicants who can proof that they have invested in the country through a business (setting up a corporation) or a real estate property (no matter how small or how cheap). These last two options are not a 100% certain and will likely depend on the motivation letter and whoever works on your application.

Once the applicant obtains a visa, he/she must submit the application to the Immigration Department. And while it is very unlikely that the Immigration Department will reject an application for temporary residency (unless there is a problem with medical exams or background verification); it is a very different story if the applicant wishes to go for the investment route.

The Consulate will probably grant a visa to any applicant who can prove that he/she is retired, or has an investment; however, the Immigration Department will require that the pension documents are legalized with the Apostille (it?s proven difficult for applicants receiving benefits from social security in the US), and that the rentistas show proof of having received the rent for the last 5 years.

As for the US$20,000.00 investment, the law indicates that the investment may be a direct investment in a real estate property or a corporation; however, to the date, the Investment Center of the government (CEI-RD) has refused to certify any direct investment on real estate and the Immigration Department would not accept any application without the CEI-RD?s certificate.

The information on our webpage and any article you may find online are only meant to be general guidelines and I do not recommend anyone to start investing time and money on a venture without having at least a proper consultation with an attorney specialized in the field.

On a final note, the Director of the Investment Department was deposed yesterday, thus the criteria and policies may change in the near future.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
why is this?

So, as you can see, if you have not been in the DR since before 2011, you have to start the process back in your home country and in any case satisfy the other requirements as described.

Last edited:

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok :)
actually I started this thread for a russian friend who doesnt speak english
He entered the country first time in 2013. He has no residency visa but wants to apply for residency
I understand he must get back to his country and ask for the visa in Russia

BUT with a bit of money paid to some right person, cant his situation be fixed from here?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know, if he needs to pay money to have something done under the table he may just as well go back to russia and do it properly. either way it will not be cheap. bear in mind that he would have to qualify for a visa in the first place: either as an investor (200,000 dollars), a pensioner (minimum income 1,500 dollars a month) a landlord (monthly income minimum 2,000 dollars a month proven for 5 years) or a husband of a dominican citizen/resident.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
But DV8, why is this? Lol.

You sure know how to take the fun out of things. Gosh darn rational thought. Who wants that?

you know, if he needs to pay money to have something done under the table he may just as well go back to russia and do it properly. either way it will not be cheap. bear in mind that he would have to qualify for a visa in the first place: either as an investor (200,000 dollars), a pensioner (minimum income 1,500 dollars a month) a landlord (monthly income minimum 2,000 dollars a month proven for 5 years) or a husband of a dominican citizen/resident.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but if i give a little money under the table will you accept rational thought? has anyone ever done this?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ok :)
actually I started this thread for a russian friend who doesnt speak english
He entered the country first time in 2013. He has no residency visa but wants to apply for residency
I understand he must get back to his country and ask for the visa in Russia

BUT with a bit of money paid to some right person, cant his situation be fixed from here?

no, with a "bit" of money, nope.
with a sack full of greenbucks, yes, you can fix everything.
teh reason:
it is easy for everyone, including criminals, to enter the DR just with a passport and paying the $10.- Tourist Card and then stay under the Radar.
to be officially allowed to stay, aside of a bunch of other requirements, they wanna see and check your friend's criminal record(which is not the case for a tourist as long as not on the Wanted List of Interpol) and they require that he has specific incomes available, as DV stated above.
to shortcut such requirements, he needs a pack of money under the table and the same time raises Red Flaggs by the ones who take that money. for the right price he may get his residency card, but he will also be under a close investigation. in case he is wanted for anything anywhere, the same people who "helped out under the table" will get promoted for capturing the individual, lol.
under the line:
a flight back to Moscow and getting his stuff together will be the more economic way.
unless he wants to by himself a safe heaven while wanted somewhere else, which would be more than a "bit" under the table.

Mike

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007

Just spoke to the Dominican consulate in Montreal - inquiring about paperwork for resident visa for 'Reunificacion Familiar' - I have been married to a Dominican man for many years and will be moving to the DR permanently. As a Canadian, they said I need a 'Warranty Letter' from my husband in the DR and signed by a lawyer - to prove his solvency as my 'warrantor'. This is new to me - has anyone ever heard of this??

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Maybe... If you can get all the things to need to apply via phone/email and friends in your home country, you could mail your passport and application to the consulate closest to where you live. Once you get everything back with your visa in your passport, you take a little trip to Haiti or Puerto Rico and get stamped on your way back in.

I don't think you have to apply in person. But, the police report and medical exam has to be from your country.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
the police report from the USA has to be from the FBI and those are from fingerprints which must be taken by a recognized police authority inside the USA

Just to elaborate on this, even folks applying for Temp Residency the police report from your Country must include "FINGER PRINTS"... I went by the Guzman Ariza list of whats needed and they NEVER mentioned the finger prints part... So if you are in Canada you need to contact the RCMP... Thanks Guzman for letting me waist another 20 bucks with unclear and incomplete information .. Anyways its all good now..

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Just to elaborate on this, even folks applying for Temp Residency the police report from your Country must include "FINGER PRINTS"... I went by the Guzman Ariza list of whats needed and they NEVER mentioned the finger prints part... So if you are in Canada you need to contact the RCMP... Thanks Guzman for letting me waist another 20 bucks with unclear and incomplete information .. Anyways its all good now..

Are you paying Guzman Ariza to do this for you? Or just did you use a list you found here or on their web site? They have already fully disclosed they provide generic information, not specific to a client, as a service, but cannot guarantee it is complete and accurate at any particular point in time.

For example, when I applied for residency, the fingerprints were done in the DR, not in home country with police report.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And reading mountanannies post, the FBI was not involved at that time, in USA. Only local authority and Interpol search.