Bani Mango Expo -

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Not worth visiting. Same mangos as everywhere else, same prices. Just buy your mangos off nearest truck or finca.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not worth visiting. Same mangos as everywhere else, same prices. Just buy your mangos off nearest truck or finca.

not true about the same as everywhere. there are different varieties in different provinces. however, it is an absolute waste of precious time going there, because all you are going to see is piles of mangoes, which you can see in any local mercado.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's a little more than a pile of mangos - it was a nice festival when we went, good way to spend a day.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I went last year and planning to go again this year, but only because I'll be in the area. It's probably not worth a major trip to get there.

It's about an hour's drive west of SD, so it also gives you an excuse to check out that area or do a side trip to Barahona, Lago Enriquillo, etc.

But it is definitely more than a pile of mangos you can see anywhere else. Besides the mangos, there's a farmer's market/county fair vibe with lots of fresh produce and homeade items for sale. The best part, and why I'm going back, is a mango tasting tent that allows you to try around 25 different varieties of mangos, seeing the difference in flavor and texture, and decide which ones you like best, so when you see different ones in the store you know which ones to buy.