USA Cell Phone compatibility in Dominican Republic

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Hope someone can give me advice on this: I have a friend in the DR who needs a cell phone. The prices in the DR for a good smart phone are pricey. I was thinking of buying a lightly used phone on eBay and sending it to her. I think it would need to be an AT&T or T-Mobile phone because they are GSM. I'm sure there are other issues I am not aware of so if someone has experience dealing with this situation I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
buy a nice chinese smartphone from ebay or amazon and she will love you forever.
example: mlias m52. its a nice phone and under 200 dollars.
all of these phones are unlocked and will work like a charm in Dr phone networks.
do a research on chinese smartphone under $200 dollars and you will get a long list of phones. top specs.
do get her a cover as well because no matter what phone you will give to Dominicans, they will break it. so start with a Chinese phone and see how long it lasts in her hand.
AZB

Apr 7, 2014
buy a nice chinese smartphone from ebay or amazon and she will love you forever.
example: mlias m52. its a nice phone and under 200 dollars.
all of these phones are unlocked and will work like a charm in Dr phone networks.
do a research on chinese smartphone under $200 dollars and you will get a long list of phones. top specs.
do get her a cover as well because no matter what phone you will give to Dominicans, they will break it. so start with a Chinese phone and see how long it lasts in her hand.
AZB
$200?????????????? Hahahaha, start with a 4" XGODY Chinese Android for $65. She is going break it anyway.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
$200?????????????? Hahahaha, start with a 4" XGODY Chinese Android for $65. She is going break it anyway.

Purchased a Motorola cellphone for a chica I was seeing one time in DR. Two months later the phone cover was broken. She was sticking the phone in her tight jeans back pocket then sitting.

Another time, I gave another chica my cell phone to hold since I was coming to DR every two months. Next time I came to collect my phone she claimed it was stolen. She probably pawned it or gave it to her Dominican boyfriend.
You know she got an attitude because I never gave her my cell phone again.

$200.00 is a lot of money but if you got spend it.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the guys are right, $200 dollar phone is too much. There are some sub $100 dollar phones on ebay as well. some have very respectable specs. if I were you, I will not give her any phone. she will claim it's stolen and then she will be without phone again. you would have to bring another one. bottomless pit. My advice: Just forget about her and find another chica.
AZB

Apr 7, 2014
the guys are right, $200 dollar phone is too much. There are some sub $100 dollar phones on ebay as well. some have very respectable specs. if I were you, I will not give her any phone. she will claim it's stolen and then she will be without phone again. you would have to bring another one. bottomless pit. My advice: Just forget about her and find another chica.
AZB
Sage advice. Bring her a toy phone filled with gummy bears or Now & laters.

Apr 7, 2014
AZB
Alot of times it wasnt stolen but she gave it to her little sister or best friend and expects you to provide with a more current and modern replacement.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Greg, Get Her an Unlocked Samsung galaxy phone. starting with the s2 ,3 or 4 depens how much you want to spend.
what part of DR is your girl at?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Guys are always amazed when even the nicest chica will break a $400 + phone just as fast at a $75 phone..
do as these guys just told you, dont spend more than $75, cuz she will break it in less than 6 months, or claim she lost it or it was stolen.

Alot of times it wasnt stolen but she gave it to her little sister or best friend and expects you to provide with a more current and modern replacement.

exactly... and it will happen in less than 6 months.. its a mathematical certainty.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
These chicas have cell phones from 2002 until they meet a foreigner. Then they can't keep a cell phone for more than two months.

They sit around talking amongst themselves about which new cell phones are out, compare notes on what lie they'll tell Captain Gringo, sell the old phone, and then ask for another one. Or they'll lend it to a "primo" who drops it and then says, "you have a gringo boyfriend. Tell him to get you another one".

The Chinese phone won't work. Everyone in the barrio will be telling her what a cheap phone it is, how taca?o her boyfriend is, "porque no te consigio un Apple o un Sangsuung", blah blah blah.

The main lie is always the same-"if you don't buy me a new cell phone, then I won't have one to talk to you".

It would be cheaper to get another barrio rat girlfriend than to go through this obnoxious merry-go-round, because believe me it won't stop until you get sick and tired and just leave.

These chicas have cell phones from 2002 until they meet a foreigner. Then they can't keep a cell phone for more than two months.

They sit around talking amongst themselves about which new cell phones are out, compare notes on what lie they'll tell Captain Gringo, sell the old phone, and then ask for another one. Or they'll lend it to a "primo" who drops it and then says, "you have a gringo boyfriend. Tell him to get you another one".

The Chinese phone won't work. Everyone in the barrio will be telling her what a cheap phone it is, how taca?o her boyfriend is, "porque no te consigio un Apple o un Sangsuung", blah blah blah.

The main lie is always the same-"if you don't buy me a new cell phone, then I won't have one to talk to you".

It would be cheaper to get another barrio rat girlfriend than to go through this obnoxious merry-go-round, because believe me it won't stop until you get sick and tired and just leave.

Someone woke up on wrong side of the bed today, LOL How have you been Berzin? To the OP go with the chinese phones or use a tmobile or ATT phone

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Someone woke up on wrong side of the bed today, LOL How have you been Berzin? To the OP go with the chinese phones or use a tmobile or ATT phone.

Hey, Badpiece, I'm good. How are you? Actually, I just wanted to send that post as a public message for anyone who gets caught in this situation.

Nothing wrong with a little reality check when it comes to these chicas. People need to open their eyes and if it saves one person any grief, then I've done a good thing.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
First thing you have to know is wich cellphone company your friend is using because each company use diferent band for 3G or 4G so one phone may work with the company for voice but not fore the 3G or 4G because the cellphone 3G or 4G band is in another one that is not the band that the cellphone use for fast internet.

Orange use 3G in the 900 band
Claro use 3G in the 850 Band and 4G in 2100 and 1700 bands
VIVA only have 2G in GSM in the 1900 Band
Tricom im not sure wich one is using.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i just went to target in the prepay phone section bought a 100 dollar windows 8 smart phone went to claro and found out the phone was new there and top of the line.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i just went to target in the prepay phone section bought a 100 dollar windows 8 smart phone went to claro and found out the phone was new there and top of the line.

not a smart choice you have made. i hope the phone is sim unlocked. if not, then good luck.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Prepaid phones arent unlocked. They are tied the service provider like Virgin Mobile or something

there you go. 1st of all, the girl will hate windows phone, then it will be locked to the service provider. often times, some phones are not easily unlocked. so good luck to the guy.
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Guys are always amazed when even the nicest chica will break a $400 + phone just as fast at a $75 phone..
do as these guys just told you, dont spend more than $75, cuz she will break it in less than 6 months, or claim she lost it or it was stolen.

exactly... and it will happen in less than 6 months.. its a mathematical certainty.

Actually, they usually sell the phones, they just TELL you they were broken, or stolen.
I always tell the guys, then ask her for the charger, if she can't produce the charger, it was SOLD!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Let her Italian boyfriend buy it!!!
Or "El Swixo",...."Aleman"???????

Apr 7, 2014
there you go. 1st of all, the girl will hate windows phone, then it will be locked to the service provider. often times, some phones are not easily unlocked. so good luck to the guy.
AZB
You maybe able to unlock it but ....if it is a CDMA phone it wont work there anyway