Anybody moved Houshold goods from the DR back to the USA

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Well we're done here after 15 years going back to Houston with my dominicanos in tow.

Selling all the furniture really is not the best option, most iis quality furniture and nobody want to pay what its worth, so I've decided to take at least a 20 foot container of all the good stuff.

CBP website say I need,CBP Form 3299 "Declaration For Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles," which ios fairly short and certainly not space for everything.

Anybody done this before?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Once you get the actual costs (container, shipping, delivery in US, labour and don't forget propinas) it might be in your best interest to get what you can for it and start new stateside. 15 years is a long time here. Hope most of it was good.

May 20, 2012
Just a thought......Since you've been outside USA for so long, you might not be aware of how inexpensive furniture is in USA now. Some is definitely not of good quality, but just do a little shopping and you will find good quality at low prices. And buying used furniture in the state is very cost effective.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Its been 15 good years here, taking my beautiful wife and our 3 boys 13, 9 & 7 years, whom were
born here.

My job has ran its course, i find it extremely not exciting, but is has served us very well, we are very grateful to my
employer and friends for all the past years.

We will not take all the furniture only the quality stuff, and we did an online shopping exercise with comparable items at gallery furniture in Houston and total replacement comes to US$19,000 and change.

Everything we're taking is from Thomasville, so!

I can ship a 20' foot container to Houston for less than US$1,000.00, a 40 footer about US$200.00 more.

So, packing up, local transport here, transport in Houston, possibly storage if no house is ready, maybe another
US$1000.00, so possibly all in for around US$2,000.00

We are actively looking for a new home.

So people here do not want to pay up for the good furniture, or if they know your leaving, try to take advantage.

So maybe sell everything for 5 or 6 grand and have to fork out another 14 grand later?

Spend 2 grand maybe even 3, I think I am ahead of the game, got my furniture and if we want we can sell it there
and buy new as we go!

cheers!

I'll have to check the insects in wood furniture thing though, if there any relevancy to be concerned.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You might be surprised what you'd get for the furniture in the US too. Case in point - we paid over $5,000USD for our dining room set, one of those rooms you don't use all the time so the furniture stays like new even if it's 20 years old. Imagine my surprise when I saw someone on a yard sale site [something like Craigslist or LaPulga] selling our identical set for $200. I was tempted to buy it just to get another 6 chairs.

If you advertise it to expats in DR, you might be pleasantly surprised what we'd be willing to pay for good quality furniture.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
DonLuis,
a site which sells/buys a lot of quality furnichures around the Island is on https://www.facebook.com/groups/363671030505977/
just in case you want to consider to sell here in DR.
i can not comment on USA prices for specific things alike nor on the shipping hassles, after observing a good number of shipments in and out, done by friends, their negative experiences brought me to the point to never research/consider such for myself.
good luck for the family at your new home

Mike

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004

Hey Mike, that link does not work for me????

House Hold Goods Everything Must Go

Cherry wood dining room set, 8 chairs, glass china cabinet and buffet RD$89,000 reduced RD$79,000.00

Small sofa, 2 upholstered chairs and center table RD$17,500

Large Thomasville Leather Sofa RD$45,000 reduced RD$37,500.00

Thomasville King size bed, dresser with mirror and 2 granite top night stands RD$130,000.00 reduced RD$120,000.00

JVC 70" DLP HD P70R1U JVC 70 "3D-ILA HDTV 1080p RD$60,000 reduced RD$50,000.00

Nice Wood Stand for Large screen TV, RD$12,000

Wicker Furniture set, 4 chairs and center table RD$18,000 reduced RD$15,500.00

all kinds of misc items too

We are on Road Isabela behind the new american embassy

interested? please pm me, email link on classified ad seems not to function, can email pictures

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
are those prices shown the prices when purchased New and then in bold letters the prices for the same items now as used items?
would extremely expensive.
for used items, IF in perfect condition, you get byfar not half of their brand new purchasing value/price, 1/3rd would be more realistic.
as for the link, i can not access it myself anymore either.
maybe it is a closed group, i am actually out of most prior participating groups, as a week ago i had to change my FB profile and pages, so when i have some time i have to search for them and get lil by lil a member again.

Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Suitcase People

To ship (back household goods) or not to ship is not only a question of money.

I could never understand people who arrive from afar with only a suitcase. :alien:

I came with a 40-footer and won't leave with less than a 20-footer. :)
I'll even take my wife. :laugh:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i came here with one suitcase only. i'm pretty much sure i'd leave with the same.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
To ship (back household goods) or not to ship is not only a question of money.

I could never understand people who arrive from afar with only a suitcase. :alien:

I came with a 40-footer and won't leave with less than a 20-footer. :)
I'll even take my wife. :laugh:

donP

donP,
you mean you would ship some important personal stuff including the wife in a 20ft'er,
sounds reasonable to me.
but my Chihuahua sure always travels with me in da cabin of the plane, lol.

Mike

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Just to answer the OP question. Yes I shipped a lot of used furniture from Santiago via Santo Domingo to Miami. I did not paid any custom duty in Miami, I don't fill any papers without a proforma invoice, stating used household goods without commercial value.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
you are right btw...i am an accumulator lov buying and if i care for my stuff...ill keep it... hoarder my as-. (might be ) but im still aquiring things and like my stuff and can pay for it in my houses, garages, sheds...whatever i have to do i do,,, good for u...
go back after the floods?huh??

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Which cargo companies ship 20 footers from Santo Domingo to Miami? I only know of Tropical.