Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Installation of satellite tv ??? Help please

We have bought a satellite system , had the box set up by the company and have the the dish asssembled and pointed to the sky ! We are testing the signal which is shown on our tv and ir registers 40 percent when we position it in any direction ..... Any one have an idea what could be our problem? ( besides ignorance?) thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arrugala View Post
    We have bought a satellite system , had the box set up by the company and have the the dish asssembled and pointed to the sky ! We are testing the signal which is shown on our tv and ir registers 40 percent when we position it in any direction ..... Any one have an idea what could be our problem? ( besides ignorance?) thanks
    What are the specifics? Type and size of dish, what receiver, what provider are you trying to get, etc.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

It has to be facing the satellite.

And there's a special thingamabob used to calibrate everything.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the company set up the box and did not calibrate the Dish??
    call the company and tell 'em to come back and finish their job.
    when you purchase such system the installation should include the full package, box and dish mounted/set up and working when they leave your place.
    when you do not get more than 40% on any direction and height(both are parameters, not solo the direction), that sounds very much like your used dish is not appropriately sized for your area to get the sat connection you are seeking for. but such details and the solution only that company can tell you and solve you for sure.
    what was the deal on the purchase of the package that they only installed the box but did not adjust and connect the dish?
    or did you purchase the different pieces at different places?

good luck

Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 40%

We are testing the signal which is shown on our tv and ir registers 40 percent when we position it in any direction .....
    You can get 40% signal strength even if the receiver only "sees" some wire connected to it.

Do you also have a "quality" signal bar? That is the more important one.
    Do you know which satellite(s) you are on?

But as Windeguy said, much more information is needed to give sound advice.

donP

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a JynxBox and when disconnected from the satellite I get a 42% signal. I get good connect about 80-85%, sometimes less. Give the knowledgeable folks here more info.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I have a JynxBox and when disconnected from the satellite I get a 42% signal. I get good connect about 80-85%, sometimes less. Give the knowledgeable folks here more info.
    yes, Bob.
    that's right, around 40% is what a receiver get's "unconnected" to the dish, it means "no signal" at all.
    i would assume(but without detailed info a diagnose is of course impossible) that they turn/move their dish in completely wrong directions.
    again, it is "Direction" AND "Ancle/altitude" of the Dish Together to connect.
    you can have the exact direction to where the Satelite is positioned, but a few degrees too high or low on the ancle would be the same non available signal as if you point the dish towards the west instead of the east.
    the mentioned 40% is what you always get, but nothing received wit such.
    Arrugala, let us know some of the saked details, or at least let us know that you are still here on this topic to get advise/help.
    you didn't come back after your OP.

Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is the dish? At ground level? On a roof? Are there a lot of tall trees that could interfere with the signal? Call Directv and a technicians will be out between 8-5 sometime in the next year. In all seriousness. Who is the satelitte provider? Where is the signal coming from. I would get someone who knows about these setups and pay them to straighten out your mess. Buena Suarte.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Birddog

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sat Finders

Quote Originally Posted by TP666 View Post
    Birddog
    Is he a helpful member?

Or BIRDOG?
    Which is a helpful (although expensive sat finder tool).
    I use a SATHERO, but one can also align the dish with a 5$-thingy (sat finder, sat meter, sat signal meter, etc.)

donP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast