Installation of satellite tv ??? Help please

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
We have bought a satellite system , had the box set up by the company and have the the dish asssembled and pointed to the sky ! We are testing the signal which is shown on our tv and ir registers 40 percent when we position it in any direction ..... Any one have an idea what could be our problem? ( besides ignorance?) thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have bought a satellite system , had the box set up by the company and have the the dish asssembled and pointed to the sky ! We are testing the signal which is shown on our tv and ir registers 40 percent when we position it in any direction ..... Any one have an idea what could be our problem? ( besides ignorance?) thanks

What are the specifics? Type and size of dish, what receiver, what provider are you trying to get, etc.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
It has to be facing the satellite.

And there's a special thingamabob used to calibrate everything.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the company set up the box and did not calibrate the Dish??
call the company and tell 'em to come back and finish their job.
when you purchase such system the installation should include the full package, box and dish mounted/set up and working when they leave your place.
when you do not get more than 40% on any direction and height(both are parameters, not solo the direction), that sounds very much like your used dish is not appropriately sized for your area to get the sat connection you are seeking for. but such details and the solution only that company can tell you and solve you for sure.
what was the deal on the purchase of the package that they only installed the box but did not adjust and connect the dish?
or did you purchase the different pieces at different places?

good luck

Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
40%

We are testing the signal which is shown on our tv and ir registers 40 percent when we position it in any direction .....

You can get 40% signal strength even if the receiver only "sees" some wire connected to it. :laugh:

Do you also have a "quality" signal bar? That is the more important one.
Do you know which satellite(s) you are on?

But as Windeguy said, much more information is needed to give sound advice.

donP

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a JynxBox and when disconnected from the satellite I get a 42% signal. I get good connect about 80-85%, sometimes less. Give the knowledgeable folks here more info.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have a JynxBox and when disconnected from the satellite I get a 42% signal. I get good connect about 80-85%, sometimes less. Give the knowledgeable folks here more info.

yes, Bob.
that's right, around 40% is what a receiver get's "unconnected" to the dish, it means "no signal" at all.
i would assume(but without detailed info a diagnose is of course impossible) that they turn/move their dish in completely wrong directions.
again, it is "Direction" AND "Ancle/altitude" of the Dish Together to connect.
you can have the exact direction to where the Satelite is positioned, but a few degrees too high or low on the ancle would be the same non available signal as if you point the dish towards the west instead of the east.
the mentioned 40% is what you always get, but nothing received wit such.
Arrugala, let us know some of the saked details, or at least let us know that you are still here on this topic to get advise/help.
you didn't come back after your OP.

Mike

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Where is the dish? At ground level? On a roof? Are there a lot of tall trees that could interfere with the signal? Call Directv and a technicians will be out between 8-5 sometime in the next year. In all seriousness. Who is the satelitte provider? Where is the signal coming from. I would get someone who knows about these setups and pay them to straighten out your mess. Buena Suarte.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sat Finders

Is he a helpful member?

Or BIRDOG?
Which is a helpful (although expensive sat finder tool).
I use a SATHERO, but one can also align the dish with a 5$-thingy (sat finder, sat meter, sat signal meter, etc.)

donP

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I align a dish with an old receiver and a small TV to see the signal levels.

i don't remember a specific link/name, but many years ago i had a satelite strength thingy on a laptop to help a friend adjusting his dish. the small program been installed bu an other friend who originally wanted to do the job but couldn't leave his job that day, so he left me the laptop. try to google up such thing ifyou have a laptop.
to take a small TV as windeguy said, works exactly the same.

Mike

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Slightly off topic. With a legitimate dish subscription in the USA, can you bring down a receiver with you while vacationing to the DR? If yes can someone recommend a dish installer in Santiago.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Slightly off topic. With a legitimate dish subscription in the USA, can you bring down a receiver with you while vacationing to the DR? If yes can someone recommend a dish installer in Santiago.

I understand there are people who do this both with DISH Network and DirecTV.

Keep in mind that with DISH you will only get satellites 110 and 119 here in the DR. That means very few HD channels since they are on a different satellite which is not "reachable" in the DR. Another way of stating that is the HD channel satellites have not "footprint" in the DR.
Also keep in mind you need a dish 2 meters in diameter to get 110 and 119.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
Send me a pm. I have a machine to align dish, direct TV ,sky and claro. But I'm on the east coast.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
I understand there are people who do this both with DISH Network and DirecTV.

Keep in mind that with DISH you will only get satellites 110 and 119 here in the DR. That means very few HD channels since they are on a different satellite which is not "reachable" in the DR. Another way of stating that is the HD channel satellites have not "footprint" in the DR.
Also keep in mind you need a dish 2 meters in diameter to get 110 and 119.

If you use dual satellites and an sw31 switch you can get many channels in HD on dish.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you use dual satellites and an sw31 switch you can get many channels in HD on dish.

I have satellites 110 and 119 and there are very few HD channels. What satellites are you talking about and with which provider?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
IPTV is making a move to displace Satellite and Cable TV. I use KODI from time to time along with other IPTV sources.

IPTV subs set to top satellite subs in Western Europe by 2016
April 27th, 2015
Source: Digital TV Research
In suitable news with which to kick off tomorrow’s TV Connect (28 – 30 April 2015 ExCel, London), it seems paying IPTV subscriber numbers in Western Europe are primed to overtake pay satellite TV ones in 2015.
The forecast comes from a new report from Digital TV Research. Medium term, IPTV subscriptions will climb by 8.6 million (up by 37%) between 2014 and 2020 compared with 1.2 million additions for pay satellite TV (up by 5%) and 0.3 million for pay DTT (up by 6%). Digital cable subs will increase by nearly 10 million (up by 30%) over the same period.
Overall, IPTV revenues will climb by 26.7% between 2014 and 2020 to $5.51 billion (with subscriber numbers up by 37.1%).
Pay-TV penetration is expected to grow from 56.7% at end-2014 to 60.4% in 2020. The Digital TV Western Europe Forecasts report (which covers 18 countries) states that the number of pay-TV subscribers will climb by 2.57 million in 2015 to 99.00 million (up from 92.86 million in 2010) as Western Europe begins to shrug off the recession.
“Despite the number of pay TV homes increasing, pay-TV revenues will remain flat at around $32 billion. ARPU is falling in most countries and on most platforms,” comments Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research. “The pay-TV arena is becoming more competitive as newer platforms (especially IPTV ones – but also including OTT/SVOD) launch. Greater competition means cheaper channel packages. Bundling increases overall ARPU for operators, but leads to lower TV ARPU.”

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
I have satellites 110 and 119 and there are very few HD channels. What satellites are you talking about and with which provider?

If you use two small dishes like the ones sky uses with an sw31 switch you can use on dish to pull in your regular channels and one for the HD channels on DISH network.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have a (semi) legal dishnetwork subscription with two 4 ft dishes and 3 lnbs I get a lot of HD stations. I was told the legal directv signals dont work here, only dishnetwork.

By "semi-legal" I mean the receiver has to be registered in the US.