Dominicans are poor, but

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Ok I dont want to generalize here but this is what I notice many times and dont really understand.

Many dominicans are poor but when I go to dominican friends of my girl friend's family, I notice that:
. when there is 5 poeple to eat they cook for 10 and the rest goes to trash. Dont tell me its untrue, 2 days ago I was in a dominican kitchen, half the rice left went to trash.
. when they do the dishwashing, half the soap goes to the sink when I (we) use a small amount.

Im just amazed how much food and stuff go to trash every day...
:)

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
what cracks me up is they buy like spices in those SMALL pouches , which must cost like 20X as much/ Oz
..but it seems cheap to them, and they never do the math.. .. and will argue with you if you try to explain stuff like that to them..

. just one of those things.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Ok I dont want to generalize here but this is what I notice many times and dont really understand.

Many dominicans are poor but when I go to dominican friends of my girl friend's family, I notice that:
. when there is 5 poeple to eat they cook for 10 and the rest goes to trash. Dont tell me its untrue, 2 days ago I was in a dominican kitchen, half the rice left went to trash.
. when they do the dishwashing, half the soap goes to the sink when I (we) use a small amount.

Im just amazed how much food and stuff go to trash every day...
:)

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen, but I will say that in my wife's barrio, any food left over after eating always goes to a neighbors house and usually friends and neighbors come in to see if there is any extra food. Nothing goes to waste or to dogs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm not saying that this doesn't happen, but I will say that in my wife's barrio, any food left over after eating always goes to a neighbors house and usually friends and neighbors come in to see if there is any extra food. Nothing goes to waste or to dogs.

I agree with this, where we live nothing gets thrown out. Always someone nearby who's hungry.

As far as dogs, they don't even sell dog food where we live, we have to bring it in from San Cristobal or Santo Domingo. Dominican neighbors who do have dogs let them fend for themselves mostly, there's a pica pollo where they all line up for the bones/scraps people throw to them and they wander the beach. Most of the dog are viralatas and/or 'community dogs'.

They're in awe of our rotties who are walked on a leash down to the beach to swim, we probably have the only leashes in town.

It might be different in a SD barrio.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Barrio Solidarity

You can go to any barrio around lunchtime and you'll see women carrying food to neighbours, of whom they know that they deserve it.
Barrio solidarity....

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in a year i spent living in a dominican barrio i saw food wasted daily. the leftovers did not even go to the dogs, just directly to the bin. or on the sidewalk, to be precise because opening a lid of a rubbish container was below barrio prince's dignity.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in a year i spent living in a dominican barrio i saw food wasted daily. the leftovers did not even go to the dogs, just directly to the bin. or on the sidewalk, to be precise because opening a lid of a rubbish container was below barrio prince's dignity.

those containers were designed to be opened by stepping on the footbar at the bottom of the case. well, there is no longer a bar on any of them, because they have all been stolen. surely you cannot expect a guy to open the lid with his hands!!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Once tried to give some poor Dominicans canella rice instead of the Carolina rice i usually gave. They said canella " no serve ." From then on... No more free rice for you!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
footbars get stolen because they can be used to hand shower curtain, make a fence, create a hanger for clothing in a wardrobe and so on. ech. living in a barrio rid me of the remains of sympathy for people there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
footbars get stolen because they can be used to hand shower curtain, make a fence, create a hanger for clothing in a wardrobe and so on. ech. living in a barrio rid me of the remains of sympathy for people there.

i too have lost any sympathy for barrio people. they are what they are.

my housekeeper?s daughter just graduated high school. she had a Galaxy 5 even when she was in high school, so one does not have to be Einstein to know that she is doing a little more than solving quadratic equations. then she met up with some dumb gringo who wanted to set her up in an apartment, furnish it, and make her a kept woman. well, the deal fell through the day she went to look at the apartment. she told the owner of the complex to tell the gringo 12,000 per month, because it was really 10,000. that way, she would pocket 2,000 off the top every month. the lady who owns the building has even more contempt for barrio antics than dv8, so she went back and told Don Expat. kaboom. Miss Thing is back in the barrio, where she belongs, living on tostones and salami wheels.

you are right, dv8. sympathy is wasted on barrio types.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
ME TOO!
And I pay for it!!!!

And, they don't like "left overs"!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We ate left overs so often as a kid that my dad used to accuse my mom of getting them from neighbors as he never remembered eating some of them the first time. Left overs are great, when you are hungry.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
In general Dominicans look at us expats as a "RESOURCE", not as a human.
When they shake your hand with that typical smile, their mind processes it like this...What can we get from him/her, how are we going to get it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
what cracks me up is they buy like spices in those SMALL pouches , which must cost like 20X as much/ Oz .

In terms of taste, it's a better way to buy spices, as opposed to those honking big old jars they sell in First World stores. Unless they're kept refrigerated, they lose all potency in less than a month.

Let the potency jokes begin.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I think that what may be considered by some as the resdult of low IQ is simply the result of ignorance and poverty. If you have not had refriig. For all of your life what do you with leftovers. If you cant calculte price per ounce how can you buy wisely. If your planning horizon is 30 minutes how o you make long-term decisions.

We need to assk "what can we do to help" rasther than "WTF".

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i too have lost any sympathy for barrio people. they are what they are.

my housekeeper?s daughter just graduated high school. she had a Galaxy 5 even when she was in high school, so one does not have to be Einstein to know that she is doing a little more than solving quadratic equations. then she met up with some dumb gringo who wanted to set her up in an apartment, furnish it, and make her a kept woman. well, the deal fell through the day she went to look at the apartment. she told the owner of the complex to tell the gringo 12,000 per month, because it was really 10,000. that way, she would pocket 2,000 off the top every month. the lady who owns the building has even more contempt for barrio antics than dv8, so she went back and told Don Expat. kaboom. Miss Thing is back in the barrio, where she belongs, living on tostones and salami wheels.

you are right, dv8. sympathy is wasted on barrio types.

I just can't help but wonder what you would say if this was someone else's post and the term barrio types was substituted with "ghetto types". I'd bet you would be singing a different tune Gordon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just can't help but wonder what you would say if this was someone else's post and the term barrio types was substituted with "ghetto types". I'd bet you would be singing a different tune Gordon.

it is not a geographical reference. it is a frame of mind. i know several people with a barrio mentality who live in relative comfort. i also know beautiful people who live in areas considered to be barrios.