Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominicans are poor, but

Ok I dont want to generalize here but this is what I notice many times and dont really understand.

Many dominicans are poor but when I go to dominican friends of my girl friend's family, I notice that:
    . when there is 5 poeple to eat they cook for 10 and the rest goes to trash. Dont tell me its untrue, 2 days ago I was in a dominican kitchen, half the rice left went to trash.
    . when they do the dishwashing, half the soap goes to the sink when I (we) use a small amount.

Im just amazed how much food and stuff go to trash every day...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

ME TOO!
    And I pay for it!!!!

And, they don't like "left overs"!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

what cracks me up is they buy like spices in those SMALL pouches , which must cost like 20X as much/ Oz
    ..but it seems cheap to them, and they never do the math.. .. and will argue with you if you try to explain stuff like that to them..

. just one of those things.

4. Likes ROLLOUT, redserge liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot that goes to feed the dogs.

6. Likes Criss Colon, redserge liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rep Dom View Post
    Ok I dont want to generalize here but this is what I notice many times and dont really understand.

Many dominicans are poor but when I go to dominican friends of my girl friend's family, I notice that:
    . when there is 5 poeple to eat they cook for 10 and the rest goes to trash. Dont tell me its untrue, 2 days ago I was in a dominican kitchen, half the rice left went to trash.
    . when they do the dishwashing, half the soap goes to the sink when I (we) use a small amount.

Im just amazed how much food and stuff go to trash every day...
    I'm not saying that this doesn't happen, but I will say that in my wife's barrio, any food left over after eating always goes to a neighbors house and usually friends and neighbors come in to see if there is any extra food. Nothing goes to waste or to dogs.

8. Likes AlterEgo, jd426, KATIEJAY, redserge, Soverihn liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    I'm not saying that this doesn't happen, but I will say that in my wife's barrio, any food left over after eating always goes to a neighbors house and usually friends and neighbors come in to see if there is any extra food. Nothing goes to waste or to dogs.
    I agree with this, where we live nothing gets thrown out. Always someone nearby who's hungry.

As far as dogs, they don't even sell dog food where we live, we have to bring it in from San Cristobal or Santo Domingo. Dominican neighbors who do have dogs let them fend for themselves mostly, there's a pica pollo where they all line up for the bones/scraps people throw to them and they wander the beach. Most of the dog are viralatas and/or 'community dogs'.

They're in awe of our rotties who are walked on a leash down to the beach to swim, we probably have the only leashes in town.

It might be different in a SD barrio.

Administrator
    DR1.com

10. Likes redserge liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barrio Solidarity

You can go to any barrio around lunchtime and you'll see women carrying food to neighbours, of whom they know that they deserve it.
    Barrio solidarity....

donP

12. Likes jd426, jstarebel, sabra, redserge, Soverihn liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

in a year i spent living in a dominican barrio i saw food wasted daily. the leftovers did not even go to the dogs, just directly to the bin. or on the sidewalk, to be precise because opening a lid of a rubbish container was below barrio prince's dignity.

14. Likes Conchman, redserge liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    in a year i spent living in a dominican barrio i saw food wasted daily. the leftovers did not even go to the dogs, just directly to the bin. or on the sidewalk, to be precise because opening a lid of a rubbish container was below barrio prince's dignity.
    those containers were designed to be opened by stepping on the footbar at the bottom of the case. well, there is no longer a bar on any of them, because they have all been stolen. surely you cannot expect a guy to open the lid with his hands!!

16. Likes jd426, redserge liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Once tried to give some poor Dominicans canella rice instead of the Carolina rice i usually gave. They said canella " no serve ." From then on... No more free rice for you!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast