Process for buying a vehicle

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi,
I am going to be buying a vehicle when I come over, more than likely from a dealer.

How long does it take to buy a car if they have what you want on the forecourt and what is involved?

Many thanks for the continued help folks :rambo:

Roy

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
More than likely a used vehicle, but would buy new if the price were right.
We know they are more expensive but have allowed for that in the budget.

Thanks
Roy

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Beware of Dealers

More than likely a used vehicle, but would buy new if the price were right.
We know they are more expensive but have allowed for that in the budget.

You'd be happier with a new vehicle.

Second hand car dealers here can't be trusted (very few exceptions). Rolled back odometers and hidden accidents are the norm.
Carfax is a must but not all data can be discovered from it.

Never pay in full, unless you have the 'matricula' (with your name in it) in your hands.

Sometimes a good deal can be had from another 'gringo' leaving the country...

donP

Jan 9, 2004
Hi,
I am going to be buying a vehicle when I come over, more than likely from a dealer.

How long does it take to buy a car if they have what you want on the forecourt and what is involved?

Roy

This is allegedly a newer faster process to accomplish purchasing a vehicle.

Casa de Conductor in Santo Domingo is going to offer the ability to process a vehicle sale in just 20 minutes, with the new registration delivered to your home in 5 days.

Casa del Conductor acoge servicio para*traspaso de veh?culos en 20 minutos – Noticias SIN

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic .- The company CMA Services, which manages La Casa del Conductor hosted at its headquarters offers a new service whereby the vehicle transfer process takes place in just twenty minutes, with a considerable saving of time and resources to meet all the requirements stipulated by laws.

The initiative, which is supported by the firm CMA Center and created by executive Katherine Castillo Lubrano, prevents citizens wasting time in bureaucratic operations that can take up to 12 hours spread over measures that require up to four days to trespass a vehicle.

"We summarize all of these steps in just 20 minutes to every citizen and in five days we take the original tuition home," said Castillo.

La Casa del Conductor argued that this new service in the detention center only drivers in the country under the best international standards in case of accidents, is a contribution that prevents citizens from having to go through extensive bureaucratic procedure of eight steps when trespassing a car.

At present, to realize the transfer of a vehicle, the process takes an average of 12 hours over four days of proceedings, between the signing of the contract, vehicle inspection, obtaining certification, legalization, notarization of the contract payment time tax and receiving tuition.

He stressed that with this new addition to the drivers and all citizens, summarized in a single fee, saving time and resources is substantial considering additional aspects such as spending fuels transfers, payments to third parties for the management and other extras actions to perform a handover of vehicles.

You could be the first to use it......and then you can report back to the board why it doesn't seem to work as well as it sounds......because it rarely does in the Land of Oz.

Seriously though, find a good/reputable dealer and they will get you through the process....but that is the catch.....almost as difficult as finding a good used vehicle.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Contact Gorgon who is a frequent poster here. He knows his way around the DR car biz. You can save a ton of money and a miles of heartache. Its very different down here and school is expensive.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
You get a good overview of the market there.
I'd say take about 20-25% off the prices and that is what you could get.

Depends on the dealer, less than 2 weeks is fast.
But you can drive the vehicle while that is being done.

donP

Supercarros - the prices they show there include the tax? Or no? I am not buying there, but I have thought those prices might not include tax. Would be be good for the OP to know this if the tax is substantial and is in addition to the listed price.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

Roy

Are you playing tennis or buying a car? Forecourt? In the hood we say "the lot." If you buy from a dealer you could have the car within days. Buying in the DR is a little more involved than say in NA but if you buy from a dealer they will handle the paperwork and registration. Make sure you are buying from a REPUTABLE dealer. Personally I would rather buy from a private person who has valid maintenance records and was maybe the original owner. Going this route is a little trickier in getting all your documents together and going to Motor Vehicle. Good luck.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Buying a Car the Dominican Way

Have you bought a vehicle yet?

You may also consider to 'buy' it the Dominican way:
Noticias de Saman? Republica Dominicana: Apresan a merenguero "Tito Swing" por deuda en dealer en La Vega.

The merengue musician "Tito Swing" 'bought' a Toyota Camry with a downpayment in February 2013 and signed a contact to pay the full price in instalments.
He never paid anything afterwards.
Nevertheless he gave the car to another person in lieu of labour liabilities. :chinese:

donP

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
FINE! I'm gonna buy a car. My rental is getting crappy, and as I'll be here another 10 months, I may as well.

Probably going to head to Santiago in a week or two, unless I can find something on Facebook from a Gringo.

I'll get a lawyer for all the title stuff, and we've done transfers before, so I am not too worried about that part. I've found a couple on Supercarros I like, and will of course get the car fax.

How do I not get Gringo priced?

My plan is to show up to look at the ones I like and get the price, which because of my pale complexion will be (in a Dr. Evil voice) "One Hundred Billion Pesos". I'll offer a reasonable price, he'll say no, and tell me he knows someone who knows someone who has a car in my 'price range'. We'll spend the day driving around looking at crappy overpriced cars, and being told "I've got something else for you"

I'll leave, and then a few days later send my Amigo. He and the dealer will shake hands and haggle and talk about how stupid Gringos are and agree on a fair price. Mi amigo will inform me of this price.

Now, here is where it gets tricky. I then return, and offer the pay the price mi Amigo was given, OR, I show up with him and put the cards on the table. I'm afraid my second option will lead to him not selling to 'either' of us because of pride, no matter the price.

Or, a third option. I could have mi Amigo do all the dealings and I'll just show up when it's time for my name to be put on the title. Dealer probably won't back down at that point, right?

I dunno, what is the best way?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I bought a new RAV4 from Vegamovil in Santiago. I set it all up from outside the DR, including a 10,000 dollar loan. Sent them the money by wire. Went straight to the dealer, the car was ready and I was out in less than an hour. Highly recommend Vegamovil. PM for salesman email if interested.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
In the end I bought from MotorAlex in Santo Domingo. Easy transaction for a new car and the price was fine with me.
Was able to drive the car away a few hours later when insurance and registration were sorted. A few months later, full plate and sticker were waiting for me when I took it for first (free) service.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Thanks DR Guy. I like the RAV4 for many reasons. Do you ever wish it had more luggage space?