Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Fulano: "?T?guere, t? be ese pariguayo con el poloch? belde?"

Mengano: "?El ke ta al lao del guachim?n?"

Fulano: "S?, ese mimito. Bueno, as? como t? lo be, ese tipo tiene cualto."

Mengano: "?De beld??"

Fulano: "Pue claro. Su pap? era pelotero en grande liga."

Mengano: "Oye a ete. ?y e' f?cil?! Ese pariguayo no tiene ni en qu? case muelto."

Fulano: "Ah! ?T? no me cree? Bamo apot?. D?jame llam? al guachim?n."

Mengano: "Apueto a que no."

Fulano: "Comando, h?game un fabol. ?Ut? conoce a ese hombre del poloch? belde?"

Guachim?n: "?El que taba hablando conmigo?"

Fulano: "S?, ese mimo. ?Beld? que su pap? era pelotero en grande liga?"

Guachim?n: "Pue claro. Su pap? era sioret? de lo Yanki."

Mengano: "?SIORET? DE LO YANKI?! ?Y E' F?CIL?!"

Fulano: "Pa' que lo sepa."

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Not knowing anything about baseball, sioreto lost me :(

Sioret? = short-stop

Poloch? = polo shirt (and then there's the smaller or lesser version, polochecito, as in, "Mira, mi helmano, ante que te balla pa' fuera, quiero me regale ese polochecito, que no tengo ropa, y me 'ta llebando quien me trajo.")

Guachim?n = watchman

Aug 6, 2006
poloch? is derived from polo shirt, but is used to describe t-shirt.
Polo shirts have collars, tee shirts do not.

Tee shirts are supposedly related to golf, but golfers almost always wear shirts with collars.

Polo somehow has achieved tons of recognition because of the clothes of its players, but polo is a very seldom watched sport.
More people watch cricket, lacrosse and even field hockey, but no one refers to apparel worn for those sports.

Aug 6, 2006
Maybe interesting for baseball lovers... :rolleyes:
{For me as a European, baseball is ever so boring...}

donP[/QUOTE]

When you really need a thrill, watch cricket.

Aug 6, 2006
The short stop is a position in baseball. There are nine men on a team, and the short stop is one of them.
If you require an explanation, you can easily find it with a google.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Short stop in standard Spanish is:

el campocorto- most commonly used (in my experience) or you will also hear el torpedero, it just depends on the country. I find Venezuelan baseball terminology quite different from Dominican baseball terminology but all researchable words.

-MP.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
No more eye-rolling from the Europeans. You're not allowed to talk about baseball. I never talk about football. And I am respectful enough not to call it soccer. So just don't talk about it, because you will never understand.

Go Sox.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Fulano: "?T?guere, t? be ese pariguayo con el poloch? belde?"

Mengano: "?El ke ta al lao del guachim?n?"

Fulano: "S?, ese mimito. Bueno, as? como t? lo be, ese tipo tiene cualto."

Mengano: "?De beld??"

Fulano: "Pue claro. Su pap? era pelotero en grande liga."

Mengano: "Oye a ete. ?y e' f?cil?! Ese pariguayo no tiene ni en qu? case muelto."

Fulano: "Ah! ?T? no me cree? Bamo apot?. D?jame llam? al guachim?n."

Mengano: "Apueto a que no."

Fulano: "Comando, h?game un fabol. ?Ut? conoce a ese hombre del poloch? belde?"

Guachim?n: "?El que taba hablando conmigo?"

Fulano: "S?, ese mimo. ?Beld? que su pap? era pelotero en grande liga?"

Guachim?n: "Pue claro. Su pap? era sioret? de lo Yanki."

Mengano: "?SIORET? DE LO YANKI?! ?Y E' F?CIL?!"

Fulano: "Pa' que lo sepa."

That's actually pretty decent grammar compared to the majority of Wassap posts I've seen.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
That's actually pretty decent grammar compared to the majority of Wassap posts I've seen.

Yeah, but I should've tittled it 'Spoken Dominican Spanish,' as we normally pronounce certain words. And while XO has said that it's accepted to pronounce 'V' as 'B', I may disagree. Once I learned that you can't make the same mistake in English, I've been pronouncing 'V' in Spanish, and I even notice it when others don't.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yeah, but I should've tittled it 'Spoken Dominican Spanish,' as we normally pronounce certain words. And while XO has said that it's accepted to pronounce 'V' as 'B', I may disagree. Once I learned that you can't make the same mistake in English, I've been pronouncing 'V' in Spanish, and I even notice it when others don't.

I fixed the title for you as per your post.

Cheers,

-MP.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's how many Dominicans pronounce 'short-stop' and sometimes just 'siore' (Cee-oh-Reh).

I asked Mr. AE how to say short-stop in Spanish, and he said "short-stop" [with a Spanish accent]. LOL. He never heard any of the other words mentioned here.

Maybe he's been in the US too long.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I asked Mr. AE how to say short-stop in Spanish, and he said "short-stop" [with a Spanish accent]. LOL. He never heard any of the other words mentioned here.

My parents are like that as well. It's just that him and them grew up during "El perinclito de San Cristobal"'s era, when a butchering of the language like that was corrected by a belt hit to the mouth (correazo), as an opening course of what was to follow if one continued to persist being a "boca sucia".

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My parents are like that as well. It's just that him and them grew up during "El perinclito de San Cristobal"'s era, when a butchering of the language like that was corrected by a belt hit to the mouth (correazo), as an opening course of what was to follow if one continued to persist being a "boca sucia".
Ah yes, amazing how times change!

Now butchering the language of Cervantes is more likely to elicit a Dios me lo bendiga, especially if its a kid in one of those ages when their brains as like sponges, absorbing everything.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Actually, I think it has to do with the fact that the greatest professional baseball league is the MLB played in the USA. There are many foreign born players, the majority from Latin America and predominantly the DR, Venezuela and Cuba (as well a few other Latin countries but the number is small in comparison to the three countries mentioned). Once again you see the integration of culture and language in this dynamic.

A large number of baseball terminology in Spanish is English words or phonetically adapted words in Spanish deriving from English. Not only do you hear the usage when listening to televised games but also in the newspapers in the Sports section. The influence of English in baseball in Latin America is significant and inevitable.

Short stop is one of many English words used in Spanish in baseball. I tend to use the correct word out of preference or the phonetically adapted word if I don't know any other one. In standard Spanish, baseball terminology is vast but the question is who uses these words and it depends on where you play. In the USA and parts of Latin America, the English words will be understood however, don't be surprised if in other lands people who hear them (and they may be familiar with baseball in general) draw a blank simply because they are not Spanish words. The same phenomenon happens in soccer or football (European). There are plenty of English words used in Spanish.

Compare:

Un hit- un sencillo (correct Spanish word)

Un picher- un lanzador (correct Spanish word) or Venezuelan specific el serpentinero which means el lanzador.

Un jonr?n- a phonetically adapted word for home run in Spanish used commonly but there are many Spanish words for example el vuelacercas

-MP.

Last edited: