Recall & Dealers

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I've got a 2006 Honda CR-V and need to do the recall for the driver side airbag and also a power master switch on the driver side.

I want to take it in to the local Honda dealer in Santo Domingo, but a friend of mine told me that it might not be a good idea, because a lot of times the dealers will steal or replace parts on the vehicles, when you take them their for servicing.

I thought the guy is crazy for saying that, but I have to remember that this is the Dominican Republic.

Anyone experience this with their vehicle in the dealers? What can I do to get the recall done, if I can't trust the official dealer of the brand to do them?

Jan 9, 2004
I've got a 2006 Honda CR-V and need to do the recall for the driver side airbag and also a power master switch on the driver side.

I want to take it in to the local Honda dealer in Santo Domingo, but a friend of mine told me that it might not be a good idea, because a lot of times the dealers will steal or replace parts on the vehicles, when you take them their for servicing.

I thought the guy is crazy for saying that, but I have to remember that this is the Dominican Republic.

Anyone experience this with their vehicle in the dealers? What can I do to get the recall done, if I can't trust the official dealer of the brand to do them?

If yours is one of the 34 million defective airbag inflators........it could be years before the company that made them (Takata) has enough parts to satisfy the recall. As the class action lawsuits are piling up in the US, look for that market to be serviced first.

As to your other issue, take it to the Honda dealer and find out if they have a recall notice from the manufacturer. Often times the manufacturers will enter into country specific recalls.....and not worldwide ones.....like the airbag inflator.

I cannot address your friends concern about the dealer, except that dealers are compensated nicely by the manufacturer when they do complete a recall.....and while I understand the concern over parts stealing....the only way to accomplish a recall is to bring it to the dealer.

Your call.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
You're right, sounds like a ripoff artist fantasy.

Unfettered, unsupervised access to OEM parts that you can swap out for used/reman junk.

Maybe take pictures of as many parts as you can when they have it on the lift so they know EXACTLY what you're thinking.