BBQing a Whole Pig

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've done this a couple of times in DR, and it required a couple of guys turning a spit all day and a makeshift 'box'.

The only BBQ I've seen in DR that could handle a big pig is at Matilda's house. She might be able to fit a cow :) But I digress.

Saw this on my Facebook feed today, and thought I'd share it because this looks like something that could really work well in DR. We may try it. I like that you can take it apart afterwards.

How to Cook a Whole Pig in Your Backyard | Field & Stream

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In your link it says to frequently apply BBQ sauce during cooking.
Do you know what spices Dominicans use when cooking a whole pig? I don't think it is BBQ sauce.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a 'cocinero' on my hill-- did my New Year's Day pig.... 4,000 pesos + pig

They slather it with a sauce.. I try to find out in July

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In your link it says to frequently apply BBQ sauce during cooking.
Do you know what spices Dominicans use when cooking a whole pig? I don't think it is BBQ sauce.

We use a regular sofrito in DR, except with a lot more tomatoes [cilantro, celery, onions, garlic, cilantro ancho, tomatoes, oregano, vinegar, etc. in a blender]. I do bring down bottled BBQ sauce, but never used it on a pig.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is the before
XfkQhCv.jpg

and after
i8KO0eJ.jpg

I think we need to put zinc on the top of the barbecue so that the heat stays in, and a meat thermometer is really important as although the pig looked cooked it wasn't so had to keep going longer so we didn't all get nasty parasites! The marinade is put on before and not really during cooking.

matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just lower the roof Matilda....

My local man doesn't use the chicken wire. nut it is a low house he cooks in - sweats in....

At Xmas this year he did 12-13 pigs.... the vecino did over 50.....
Not me , baby....

WORK ???? like nothing else - and all night

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Wonder how big lacaja china is in the DR for this purpouse? Mi primos always used a cinder block base /pit and a cover , a giant roaster lid. 8 hr cook time .
We used the caja china at my uncles home, even though he has a nice brick pizza oven set up. The pig roast to perfection with that box. Makes for a very clean ,modern cookout.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We've done this a couple of times in DR, and it required a couple of guys turning a spit all day and a makeshift 'box'.

The only BBQ I've seen in DR that could handle a big pig is at Matilda's house. She might be able to fit a cow :) But I digress.

Saw this on my Facebook feed today, and thought I'd share it because this looks like something that could really work well in DR. We may try it. I like that you can take it apart afterwards.

How to Cook a Whole Pig in Your Backyard | Field & Stream

That cinderblock setup looks like it would work. Some get a 55 gal drum, cut it in half and put legs on it and have a nice day. If you could find a small motor that would turn the spit you would have it made. I'm sure if you go on ebay there would be all kinds of parts for a bar-b-que.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Steve,
This is a whole pig here.
Mine was 30kg.. and considered small (65-70lbs)

The 1/2 barrels won't work here.... and the auto spit is tough... not strong enough to turn an animal.

This isn't backyard stuff.

They kill, prep and cook the pig.

For large events, these can be BIG pigs.

They use a small smokehouse, not a big smoker.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Wonder how big lacaja china is in the DR for this purpouse? Mi primos always used a cinder block base /pit and a cover , a giant roaster lid. 8 hr cook time .
We used the caja china at my uncles home, even though he has a nice brick pizza oven set up. The pig roast to perfection with that box. Makes for a very clean ,modern cookout.

I've never seen a La caja china box used in the DR. They are used frequently in St. Croix and St. Thomas for beach BBQ. They do roast a great pig though. The video is of the La Caja China.
[video=youtube;rkUeGg7_PEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUeGg7_PEA[/video]

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Rebel, they CALL them caja china, but they're not the real thing, at least in the campo. This is the get-up they used at our house: [of course, this is a little piggy]

2mpkhhv.jpg

2eg7iup.jpg

atkqq9.jpg

24ls901.jpg