Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Movies - "La Soga"

Watched La Soga again last night for the umpteenth time. The movie is somewhat like an ice breaker when I have a new Dominican friend come to visit. I really never get tired of watching it.

My question? I believe the movie was based on a true life experience? si o no?

There is no way you can watch the movie and not think, yelp that sure can happen here in la rep dom.

Another favorite of mine is Innocent Voices, albeit not la rep dom but a darn good third world country movie.

Any suggestions on some other good DVDs?

2. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Manny perez has done a couple of good movies. He has a baseball movie out thats pretty good as well.

4. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanky Panky, the first one. Not SP2.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, Sanky Panky #1, definitely NOT #2.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Watched La Soga again last night for the umpteenth time. The movie is somewhat like an ice breaker when I have a new Dominican friend come to visit. I really never get tired of watching it.

My question? I believe the movie was based on a true life experience? si o no?

There is no way you can watch the movie and not think, yelp that sure can happen here in la rep dom.

Another favorite of mine is Innocent Voices, albeit not la rep dom but a darn good third world country movie.

Any suggestions on some other good DVDs?

I always liked the movie "Nueva Yol" starring Luisito Marti as Balbuena. It echoes the real-life experiences of some Dominicans who migrate to New York and find that the reality of life there is far different than what they expect.
    Can't say about Dvd rental availability though, I use torrents

8. Likes Criss Colon, Aguaita29 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigocean View Post
    I always liked the movie "Nueva Yol" starring Luisito Marti as Balbuena. It echoes the real-life experiences of some Dominicans who migrate to New York and find that the reality of life there is far different than what they expect.
    Can't say about Dvd rental availability though, I use torrents
    I have always read that was a good movie but never could find it on DVD, although Amazon now sells Volume one and three for $101.97 USD, I will pass.

Another good one, although slow moving and not really a movie but more a documentary is 60 Milas Este. It is a good movie if you are not a person born in la rep dom and don't really have a clue of what goes on in the barrios and way back on them dirt roads. You don't have to be fluent in Spanish to understand the movie, the desperation shown in the peoples faces is enough for you to understand why they do, what they do.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Pasaje de Ida

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ponchao, el rey de najayo, good one from manny perez.
    Prico ripiao, sankie panky, good ones.
    Theres the flight of the butterflies (?), with michelle rodriguez, story of the maribel sisters, with very good historical set for the movie. Reminded me of the old DR from my youth.
    La soga was a bloody movie, but very good, set in his home town of baitoa, and around santiago.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kapitan75 View Post
    Ponchao, el rey de najayo, good one from manny perez.
    Prico ripiao, sankie panky, good ones.
    Theres the flight of the butterflies (?), with michelle rodriguez, story of the maribel sisters, with very good historical set for the movie. Reminded me of the old DR from my youth.
    La soga was a bloody movie, but very good, set in his home town of baitoa, and around santiago.
    In the Time of the Butterflies.

Admin
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"My question? I believe the movie was based on a true life experience? si o no?"

Yes it is, I have seen the real life "La Soga". During the time I was in the lockup in the Santiago courthouse he occasionally worked as a guard of the jail.

14. Likes jd426 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast