Movies - "La Soga"

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Watched La Soga again last night for the umpteenth time. The movie is somewhat like an ice breaker when I have a new Dominican friend come to visit. I really never get tired of watching it.

My question? I believe the movie was based on a true life experience? si o no?

There is no way you can watch the movie and not think, yelp that sure can happen here in la rep dom.

Another favorite of mine is Innocent Voices, albeit not la rep dom but a darn good third world country movie.

Any suggestions on some other good DVDs?

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Manny perez has done a couple of good movies. He has a baseball movie out thats pretty good as well.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Watched La Soga again last night for the umpteenth time. The movie is somewhat like an ice breaker when I have a new Dominican friend come to visit. I really never get tired of watching it.

My question? I believe the movie was based on a true life experience? si o no?

There is no way you can watch the movie and not think, yelp that sure can happen here in la rep dom.

Another favorite of mine is Innocent Voices, albeit not la rep dom but a darn good third world country movie.

Any suggestions on some other good DVDs?

I always liked the movie "Nueva Yol" starring Luisito Marti as Balbuena. It echoes the real-life experiences of some Dominicans who migrate to New York and find that the reality of life there is far different than what they expect.
Can't say about Dvd rental availability though, I use torrents :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I always liked the movie "Nueva Yol" starring Luisito Marti as Balbuena. It echoes the real-life experiences of some Dominicans who migrate to New York and find that the reality of life there is far different than what they expect.
Can't say about Dvd rental availability though, I use torrents :)

I have always read that was a good movie but never could find it on DVD, although Amazon now sells Volume one and three for $101.97 USD, I will pass.

Another good one, although slow moving and not really a movie but more a documentary is 60 Milas Este. It is a good movie if you are not a person born in la rep dom and don't really have a clue of what goes on in the barrios and way back on them dirt roads. You don't have to be fluent in Spanish to understand the movie, the desperation shown in the peoples faces is enough for you to understand why they do, what they do.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Ponchao, el rey de najayo, good one from manny perez.
Prico ripiao, sankie panky, good ones.
Theres the flight of the butterflies (?), with michelle rodriguez, story of the maribel sisters, with very good historical set for the movie. Reminded me of the old DR from my youth.
La soga was a bloody movie, but very good, set in his home town of baitoa, and around santiago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ponchao, el rey de najayo, good one from manny perez.
Prico ripiao, sankie panky, good ones.
Theres the flight of the butterflies (?), with michelle rodriguez, story of the maribel sisters, with very good historical set for the movie. Reminded me of the old DR from my youth.
La soga was a bloody movie, but very good, set in his home town of baitoa, and around santiago.

In the Time of the Butterflies.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
"My question? I believe the movie was based on a true life experience? si o no?"

Yes it is, I have seen the real life "La Soga". During the time I was in the lockup in the Santiago courthouse he occasionally worked as a guard of the jail.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
I'm still trying to get a CD of Cristo Rey. Anyone know of any video stores or bootleggers that have it in a Worldwide format?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Nueva Yol

I have always read that was a good movie but never could find it on DVD, although Amazon now sells Volume one and three for $101.97 USD, I will pass.

Another good one, although slow moving and not really a movie but more a documentary is 60 Milas Este. It is a good movie if you are not a person born in la rep dom and don't really have a clue of what goes on in the barrios and way back on them dirt roads. You don't have to be fluent in Spanish to understand the movie, the desperation shown in the peoples faces is enough for you to understand why they do, what they do.

Enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-n1pRtOqrA

La Soga is based on a true story.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I know la Soga, he is my uncle's wife neighbor. He left the country just like in the movie and came back. He now has Gallera in his house lol. Decent movie, wish there was more films like this one being made in DR, there are so many true stories out there that can be addapeted into good films, but all Dominicans are interested is in ****ty Saki panki and Santi claus or whataver their nnames are. By the way, La soga a true bad ass, one can tell just by talking to him.

May 29, 2006
I watch La Soga about once a year. Completely raises the bar for what Dominican movies can be and better than many crime movies coming out of Hollywood.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
A buddy of mine who I race RC cars with in Santo Domingo works on special effects of the movies made here he was asking me if I am interested in doing some driving on the next movie he was doing very cool in deed. La Soga was awesome have not seen Cristo Rey yet enjoyed the first Lotto Man ot was funny very impressed with the movies being made in the country one thing for certain Domincans are very talented. They amount of music made in this country is amazing kinda like Jamacia with Dancehall and Reggae.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
A buddy of mine who I race RC cars with in Santo Domingo works on special effects of the movies made here he was asking me if I am interested in doing some driving on the next movie he was doing very cool in deed. La Soga was awesome have not seen Cristo Rey yet enjoyed the first Lotto Man ot was funny very impressed with the movies being made in the country one thing for certain Domincans are very talented. They amount of music made in this country is amazing kinda like Jamacia with Dancehall and Reggae.

Unfortunately, the dominicans didnt reach the amount of exploitation the reggae artist had, making dancehall such a big hit in the states. They were getting $20 a song! Gotta check out the documentary on vp records.

On another note, the potential is there to make great movies, just not enough dominican celebrities putting the money up to make it happen!
Manny put some money up!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Dominican Republic is like the Jamaica of Latin music IMHO its all over all the Latin countries very Popular and in the Latin communities in the USA, Reggae/Dancehall is popular worldwide to to it being in english.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-n1pRtOqrA

La Soga is based on a true story.

Thanks for the link, but I am not really a movie buff so when I sit down to watch a movie I want to put my 55" LCD and sound system to use. I lose interest real quick in a poor quality film and crappy sound. I doubt Nueba Yol will ever be available on DVD or blue ray so guess I will just have to pass on seeing this one.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............One of my favorite movies is "Hija Natural" because I know some of the actors, plus it has Julietta Rodriguez, another "Wild hair" type like Denny Mendez...

Watched the trailers, looks like a good movie. Once again, can't be found on DVD or blue-ray.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of my favorite movies is "Hija Natural" because I know some of the actors, plus it has Julietta Rodriguez, another "Wild hair" type like Denny Mendez..

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or a new trend, but I saw more women and men in DR with big bushy hair between January and May of this year than ever before. I applaud them.

One guy who we hired several times to work on our house used to pull it into a hair tie, and the "ponytail" was bigger than his head. He wore it well.