Candian Passport Renewal?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Has anyone renewed a Canadian passport at the Canadian embassy in Santo Domingo recently?
Were They Helpful? Do they supply the form or do you have to download/print from the internet?
I know that it?s a $260 CAD fee, but how was it paid at the embassy in USD, pesos or Canadian cash?
How much was the consular fee? Was there any other charges? Is there a place close to the embassy to take the pictures?

I have to renew my passport soon and would like to be prepare before going to Santo Domingo. Hope that I can avoid the Dominican run around and settle this in one visit. (Or maybe I should say the Canadian run around?..haha!)

XTraveller

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
photos on the opposite side of the road just before you get to the building where the embassy is. Just ask and people will tell you where it is. You can pay either cash or CC and they will take pesos. You can getthe form there but it is easier to do at home on the computer. Yes very friendly and efficient.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
SDQ and POP

Has anyone renewed a Canadian passport at the Canadian embassy in Santo Domingo recently?
Were They Helpful? Do they supply the form or do you have to download/print from the internet?
I know that it?s a $260 CAD fee, but how was it paid at the embassy in USD, pesos or Canadian cash?
How much was the consular fee? Was there any other charges? Is there a place close to the embassy to take the pictures?

I have to renew my passport soon and would like to be prepare before going to Santo Domingo. Hope that I can avoid the Dominican run around and settle this in one visit. (Or maybe I should say the Canadian run around?..haha!)

XTraveller

Canadian Offices in Dominican Republic

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
if you are located in the North you can do renewed it in Puerto Plata too !

I know that it’s a $260 CAD fee, but how was it paid at the embassy in USD, pesos or Canadian cash?

I have to renew my passport soon and would like to be prepare before going to Santo Domingo. Hope that I can avoid the Dominican run around and settle this in one visit. (Or maybe I should say the Canadian run around…..haha!)

XTraveller

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Call the office before you go to see what specific thing you have to do for your renewal,-let your fingers do the walking so to speak.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
I find this embassy non useful. The last time I was there it was staffed by an emotionless dominican women who seemed rude.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You can pay cash in CAD or pesos (US not accepted) or with Visa or Mastercard. For a 10 year passport the total is 260CAD, no other fees required. You might want to check first if you qualify for the Simplified Renewal (no guarantor or birth certificate needed) or a regular application (where both are needed). You can find the forms at Bienvenue - Passeport Canada / Welcome - Passport Canada and select for Canadians abroad.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
renewed mine in puerto plata, they were awesome at the embassy and it was really easy and fast.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
I know that it’s a $260 CAD fee, but how was it paid at the embassy in USD, pesos or Canadian cash?

I have to renew my passport soon and would like to be prepare before going to Santo Domingo. Hope that I can avoid the Dominican run around and settle this in one visit. (Or maybe I should say the Canadian run around…..haha!)

XTraveller
I have a friend in Puerto Plata that renewed his there .No need to go to Santo Domingo if you are on North Coast.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The renewal is easy: you come, submit old passport and filled application form and get a new passport in 20 days. The fees as posted above; couple of gotchas: the consulate in POP doesn't accept credit cards (cash only) while the SD office does. If you pay by cash and do not have enough CAD on you, they will accept pesos using some outrageous exchange rate - for 10 year passport it will be 10,900 pesos.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks ALL

Thanks all for the reply?s. It?s Santo Domingo for me (the nearest).

I am surprise that there is no consular fee as the Canadian Passport web site mentions to check with each different embassy for cost. I do qualify for the simplified form.

Email is a good idea, I should of thought of that!

Thanks All

XTraveller

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Why you want another fees, abroad you pay already more than in Canada :

Passport type $CAN
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 120
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 160
Child passport (0-15 years of age) 57

Pay your passport fee in Canada

Aboard :

5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190 (70$ more)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260 (100$ more)
Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100 (47$ more)

Pay your passport fee - Canadians outside Canada and the United States

Thanks all for the reply’s. It’s Santo Domingo for me (the nearest).

I am surprise that there is no consular fee as the Canadian Passport web site mentions to check with each different embassy for cost. I do qualify for the simplified form.

Email is a good idea, I should of thought of that!

Thanks All

XTraveller

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you are Canadian citizen, the place of birth does not affect the criteria for simplified passport applications; however, to be elligible you must meet all of the following criteria:

- You were at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application.

- The name on the renewal application is exactly as it appears on Page 2 of the submitted passport application.

- Your most recent passport:

- Was issued to you in Canada OR was issued to you outside of Canada after April 30, 2006.

- Is still valid or expired for no more than 1 year.

- Was/Is valid for 5 years.

- Is not damaged.

- Was never reported lost or stolen.

To apply, you must provide:

- A completed adult simplified Renewal abroad, available at one of our offices.

- Your most recent passport.

- The required fee.

- Two identival recent passport photos.

Regards,

GE

Consular Section/ Section Consulaire
Canadian Embassy /Ambassade du Canada
Ave. Winston Churchill # 1099 Torre CitiGroup en Acr?polis Center, 18th Floor Santo Domingo/Saint Domingue

809 262-3100 ext 3000
Fax 809 262-3108 Mitnet 315 3342
Sdmgo.Consul@international.gc.ca
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't another solution to mail the passport to Hull PQ /?
Hull handles out of country applications ( or used to when I mailed from the USA)

Get it to them for the lower fee... and have it couriered back...
I always courier to my lawyer here or a hotel to get the address/delivery to be reliable.

Alternatively, get it to a family member.... might be faster the the 3 weeks in POP or SD

Just thinking out loud

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Isn't another solution to mail the passport to Hull PQ /?
Hull handles out of country applications ( or used to when I mailed from the USA)

Get it to them for the lower fee... and have it couriered back...
I always courier to my lawyer here or a hotel to get the address/delivery to be reliable.

Alternatively, get it to a family member.... might be faster the the 3 weeks in POP or SD

Just thinking out loud

Couriers do not like to ship Passports. The Price difference isn't so great that it's worth going to the extra bother. It is better to just go to the embassy with the complete form and potos, pay your money and wait for it to be ready. It will be ready when at the time they give you. I signed an authorization slip for my wife's cousin to pick it up then ship by Caribe tours to me in Jarabacoa. Worked very smoothly.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Note prices are for the five year Passport and if you are eligible for the simplified form you don't require a guarantor.

Mr. Saunders,

Passports may be renewed in one of the Canadian Government offices located in the Dominican Republic you will find the coordinates in this e-mail , no appointment is necessary. Please find below the procedure to renew a passport. You may be elligible to apply for a simplified passport renewal, please visit one of our offices in order to see if you qualify.

- Present passport application form, which you can find at the Passport Canada Website: Find a form, the guarantor must be a medical doctor, lawyer or bank manager that resides and practices in the Dominican Republic and has known them for at least 2 years.

- Get canadian passport pictures (Please call the appropiate office for suggestions on places to take the pictures) the pictures must be signed by the guarantor.

- If you are unable to obtain a guarantor to sign the application, you can fill out the form PPTC132, available at one of the Canadian Government Office, you must supply 2 additional references (different from the ones in the passport application) that are not related to you; this has an additional cost of $1,900.00DOP $50.00CAD

- Present proof of Canadian Citizenship (in the form of Birth Certificate or Canadian Citizenship Card)

- If a minor is presenting a citizenship card, they must also present original birth certificate and legalized translation into English or French, and the birth certificate of the Canadian parent.

- Supporting Government Issued valid IDs such as a driver's license, health card, or dominican cedula. In the case of minors under 16 yrs of age this is not required.

- Present any passport issued in the previous 5 years.

- Pay the fees: $3,800.00DOP or $100.00CAD for adult passport and $1,300 for minors under 16 years of age but older than 3 years.

All documents must be presented in original.

Passport process time are around 15 working days.

We recommend that all travellers visit our online travel report about the Dominican Republic at http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=77000.

Foreign Affairs Canada maintains a Registration of Canadians Residing Abroad (ROCA). Canadians should register with the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo or the Consulate in Puerto Plata if they are going to be in the Dominican Republic for longer than three months. Registration can be done on-line (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/sos/rocapage-en.asp) or by calling the Embassy or the Consulate to request a registration form. Canadians visiting for less than three months are strongly advised to: (a) leave a detailed travel itinerary and contact information with family or friends in Canada; (b) provide family with the emergency number for Foreign Affairs Canada (1 800 267-6788 FREE or 613-944-6788); and (c) keep the phone number of the responsible Canadian government office on hand (see below).
Contact Information for Canadian government offices in the Dominican Republic:

Embassy of Canada in Santo Domingo

Av. Winston Churchill 1099

Torre Citigroup en Acrop?lis Center, piso 18

Ensanche Piantini, Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana

Tel: 809-262-3100

Fax. 809 262-3108

Email: sdmgo.consul@international.gc.ca

Internet: Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I respect your answer about couriers Bob, but need to differ.

All my family's passports were in for renewal ( At Hull from the USA) when my brother died.
Luckily, I have some connections and was able to speak to the girl on the file in Hull.

'I have your passports in my hand , Mr Webster. What would like us to do?'

I need mine immediately, process my family's in the normal 2 days.

Your passport will be at your door in Philadelphia before 10am tomorrow. (They couriered it then and my family's later in the week)
It arrived shortly after 9 and I hit the road for 9 hrs to my mother's side

I think they even offer a courier address, but could be mistaken.

Anyway, I know it can be done...
May be a waste of time from RD... but my case was an emergency

The family showed up a few days later for the funeral.

BTW, I couriered my passport back directly to my 'Guardian Angel' who renewed it instantly and couriered it again to me.
This second attempt was within Canada... during the funeral proceedings.

Life comes at you fast........ sometimes

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The biggest couriers (DHL, UPS, Fedex) explicitly have rules against shipping passports internationally, although they may not always enforce them. I was stuck in England one time when DHL had no problem sending my passport out but then refused to send it back - had to use a smaller courier.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't recall which service it was..........sorry

each of my daughters has been issued a passport... France and Italy.

actually was not a problem and just a few days in both cases