Fadul's nephew unfolding story and Leonel

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So, who's the guy he transferred it to and actually represented him (apparently the guy who actually received the apartment in the first place). If I google him his name comes up as a drug related corrupt cop and apparently ironically Amet

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in a democratic society, with officials such as an Ombudsman, this sale could never have taken place.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
in a democratic society, with officials such as an Ombudsman, this sale could never have taken place.

They then dummy up a title and sell the property then get in line for another. I know of one who has three he rents them all and lives with his uncle. Some people do get a free ride in life!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They then dummy up a title and sell the property then get in line for another. I know of one who has three he rents them all and lives with his uncle. Some people do get a free ride in life!

i used the notion of democracy to make a point. the criminal political class in this country knows that it answers to nobody. normal people consider appearances when they do things. they wonder how it will be received by others. a guy selling a piece of government property for pennies on the dollar would stop to say...this does not look good. it does not pass the nose test. we can?t do this.

Dominican politicos do not give a rat?s ass. they just steal as much as they can, as often as they can, without any semblance of remorse and shame. they know that they answer to nobody, it is their ball, and they will play the game any way they like.

when, or if, democracy ever gets here, the rules will change.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Until some big names do some real Jail time nothing will change. Margarita for president 2020.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
i used the notion of democracy to make a point. the criminal political class in this country knows that it answers to nobody. normal people consider appearances when they do things. they wonder how it will be received by others. a guy selling a piece of government property for pennies on the dollar would stop to say...this does not look good. it does not pass the nose test. we can?t do this.

Dominican politicos do not give a rat?s ass. they just steal as much as they can, as often as they can, without any semblance of remorse and shame. they know that they answer to nobody, it is their ball, and they will play the game any way they like.

when, or if, democracy ever gets here, the rules will change.

Gorgon,
If by democracy (although it is actually a representative republic) you mean something along the lines of say for instance the U.S. then I think you are sadly mistaken. Politicians in the states are as brazen as they are here. Look at the current situation with the Clintons and this farce of a charitable institution the Clinton Foundation. They lie and cheat on everything from where the money comes from to how much has come in and oh by the way recently the were put on a list of non acceptable orgs. by a charity rating system because only 15% of contributions goes to actually helping anyone.
And the corruption hits close to home for those of us on this Island as Hillary's brother was given special treatment in regards to gold mining in Haiti.
First world politician are as corrupt as 3rd world ones they are just more high tech.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon,
If by democracy (although it is actually a representative republic) you mean something along the lines of say for instance the U.S. then I think you are sadly mistaken. Politicians in the states are as brazen as they are here. Look at the current situation with the Clintons and this farce of a charitable institution the Clinton Foundation. They lie and cheat on everything from where the money comes from to how much has come in and oh by the way recently the were put on a list of non acceptable orgs. by a charity rating system because only 15% of contributions goes to actually helping anyone.
And the corruption hits close to home for those of us on this Island as Hillary's brother was given special treatment in regards to gold mining in Haiti.
First world politician are as corrupt as 3rd world ones they are just more high tech.

first of all, if you have a partisan agenda, this is not a subject i care to ventilate with you. reference to the Clintons suggests to me that you probably see this matter in a narrow light. as far as first world politicians being higher tech...let us take the political constructs of individual countries and examine the issues from that stance. in the USA, there is a well divided House of Representatives. the Congress and Senate are very evenly divided on both sides of the divide. if someone tried to give away an apartment to a Republican, the Democrats would apply the full force of opposition to nullify the effort. in the DR, there is no opposition. all the senators, barring maybe one or two, are PLD. when there is no opposition, there is no democracy.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I dont think the RD government fully understands the power of the internet and social media it will be interesting to see what happens in a few weeks time as well after the 16th.

Jan 9, 2004
first of all, if you have a partisan agenda, this is not a subject i care to ventilate with you. reference to the Clintons suggests to me that you probably see this matter in a narrow light. as far as first world politicians being higher tech...let us take the political constructs of individual countries and examine the issues from that stance. in the USA, there is a well divided House of Representatives. the Congress and Senate are very evenly divided on both sides of the divide. if someone tried to give away an apartment to a Republican, the Democrats would apply the full force of opposition to nullify the effort. in the DR, there is no opposition. all the senators, barring maybe one or two, are PLD. when there is no opposition, there is no democracy.

Gorgon:

Giving away apartments is......well...so third world. Instead politicians in the US give away contracts or inside information worth millions/billions to friends/family and receive far more in return than an apartment....just ask Nancy Pelosi how that works. She is not alone, but her husband has made millions this way.

The difference I see bewtween say the DR and the US is that at some point....people in the US are indicted AND go to jail. Such is not the case in the DR with very limited exceptions.

If Bautista et al can act without repurcussion......then one can hardly expect a different result for an insolent nephew of a major politico.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon:

Giving away apartments is......well...so third world. Instead politicians in the US give away contracts or inside information worth millions/billions to friends/family and receive far more in return than an apartment....just ask Nancy Pelosi how that works. She is not alone, but her husband has made millions this way.

The difference I see bewtween say the DR and the US is that at some point....people in the US are indicted AND go to jail. Such is not the case in the DR with very limited exceptions.

If Bautista et al can act without repurcussion......then one can hardly expect a different result for an insolent nephew of a major politico.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

yes, playa, i understand. guys like Dick Cheney have also benefited handsomely from contractual giveaways. however, the most important aspect is that in the USA there is opposition, with teeth, and people could end up doing time. in the third world only the guys who steal a broom and a goat go to jail.

Jan 9, 2004
yes, playa, i understand. guys like Dick Cheney have also benefited handsomely from contractual giveaways. however, the most important aspect is that in the USA there is opposition, with teeth, and people could end up doing time. in the third world only the guys who steal a broom and a goat go to jail.

I remember an interview of a politico wherein the interviewer asked about the party (do not remember which one) stealing from the people. To my amazement the guy admits it.....but goes on to state the other party steals more.

That pretty much sums up how things work here. One party controls and steals until the other party gains power and does the same thing. Nobody ever really goes after and punishes the other party.....because they know that someday......they will be the "other party."

I am not sure a real two party system would work here.....after all......the pie is only so large.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I remember an interview of a politico wherein the interviewer asked about the party (do not remember which one) stealing from the people. To my amazement the guy admits it.....but goes on to state the other party steals more.

That pretty much sums up how things work here. One party controls and steals until the other party gains power and does the same thing. Nobody ever really goes after and punishes the other party.....because they know that someday......they will be the "other party."

I am not sure a real two party system would work here.....after all......the pie is only so large.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

everything you said is spot on. 100% accurate. there is honor among thieves. we take turns, steal everything that is not nailed down, but when we are out of office please leave us alone, and take your turn at the trough gracefully. we wont prosecute yours if you don?t prosecute ours.?and, as you say, there is no evidence that a two party system can work here. i, for one, don?t see it as being possible.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
everything you said is spot on. 100% accurate. there is honor among thieves. we take turns, steal everything that is not nailed down, but when we are out of office please leave us alone, and take your turn at the trough gracefully. we wont prosecute yours if you don?t prosecute ours.?and, as you say, there is no evidence that a two party system can work here. i, for one, don?t see it as being possible.

go to any government office and all the officials, from the highest manager down to the cleaning lady,are all from the party that won the election. the idea of democracy is chimerical.