Eye Exam & Glasses

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm looking for recommendations of where to go for an eye exam in POP. My glasses need to changed.

I was going to Dr. Burroughs at Bournigal, but he no longer has a half day when he schedules appointments.

Now it is all order of arrival, which is a problem going from Sosua if I want to eat breakfast. I called early in the week
and was put on the list for today, and when I got there the secretary told me it would about 1.5 hour wait. So waited and
and end of 1.5 hours I asked how many more patients. Not really to my surprise, having lived in the DR a very
long time, it would have another 1.5 hours wait. So I left.

What are the alternatives?

My wife's drummer took her to the place he gets his glasses at in POP called Optica Oviedo. 809-682-0858 Bienvenidos a ?ptica Oviedo

He is from POP so I am ASSuming he knows that it is a good place? They just went last week and she ordered some contacts and she is going back to get some glasses there.

On the main highway Jose Luis is on you follow that road and go to the bottom of the hill and at the bottom you turn right at the light and it will be on your left about 2 blocks down. A school is across from it, sorry don't know any road names there!!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We use Dr Burroughs and ask for the first appointment of the day so we are first on the list. As long as you can accept going on a random date it works for us. My husband was just there last week so we know this choice was available then.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We use Dr Burroughs and ask for the first appointment of the day so we are first on the list. As long as you can accept going on a random date it works for us. My husband was just there last week so we know this choice was available then.

I'll look into it. When I called I was 6th on the list, but order of arrival seems to take precedence.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife's drummer took her to the place he gets his glasses at in POP called Optica Oviedo. 809-682-0858 Bienvenidos a ?ptica Oviedo

He is from POP so I am ASSuming he knows that it is a good place? They just went last week and she ordered some contacts and she is going back to get some glasses there.

On the main highway Jose Luis is on you follow that road and go to the bottom of the hill and at the bottom you turn right at the light and it will be on your left about 2 blocks down. A school is across from it, sorry don't know any road names there!!

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. But first i need a new prescription

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
they have eye exams there but no appointments. tuesdays is a really bad day because they offer some good discounts so its packed. im talking about optica oviedo. good luck

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Dr burroughs may be ok for just getting a prescription for glasses. Other than that, for a proper eye exam I would go to Santiago for sure.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Comon Ken, is your schedule that busy? Bring a good book, surf your smart phone, cruise the net in your lap top, bring your girl friend along and she can go shopping while you wait. All your years walking around the DR, you know how it is here. This is the norm and there aint no getting around it, try as you may.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken , With all those posts and knowledge about the North Coast I would have thought you would have know the answer to this!
Try Optica Panoramica in POP , Calle el Morro just round the coerner from Bournegal. They do both persciptions and supply glasses but dont take insurance!
Olly

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Olly - What's the matter "The Team" got you on a short leash with all the other dogs of Sosua?

Can't you just post the name of the place without berating the OP, you are really a miserable abuelo.

team tambo'

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured there must be optometrists in he area.

If I need more than that, i would go to the doctor in SD who removed my cataracts some years ago.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured there must be optometrists in he area.

If I need more than that, i would go to the doctor in SD who removed my cataracts some years ago.

Is this the place to get an eye exam in POP

Optica Panor?mica

El Morro 412-B, Puerto Plata
809-586-4118

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Panoramica is owned by Dr Burroughs. The free eye exam he does there is very minimal. For a good read of the letter boards go to his office at the clinic. For in-depth eye eam go to Santiago or SD.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Panoramica is owned by Dr Burroughs. The free eye exam he does there is very minimal. For a good read of the letter boards go to his office at the clinic. For in-depth eye eam go to Santiago or SD.

Who would you recommend in Santiago?

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I have had good experience with Dr Sebastian Guzman at Corominas 809-583-2649. He seems to be very competent, thorough and tells you what is what. He does not mince his words and has a bit of an attitude but he knows what he is talking about. However I am not crazy about the cleanliness at Corominas. He will give you an in-depth eye exam.
For surgery I would also check with Espaillat-Cabral in SD.