Hate to sound like an idiot, but....

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
WTF does "papi" really mean?
I mean, when a woman calls you that, is it a term of endearment, or just something she would call her motoconcho?
So, berate me, beat me up, I'm putting it out there, been called papi, on numerous occasions; is it something I should equate to anything serious?
(I know I'm gonna get hammered, but, I just had to know.).

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Thanks for asking the question. I knew about the "daddy" term but always wondered if there was any other connotation.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
That means that you are either doing a good job or got some dollars in your pocket!

jaja

JJ

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
you may have gotten her pregnant... and she is just getting you used to it..
other than that , nothing to worry about.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is endearing. They think all men are perverts due to American men apparently like to scream out 'who's your daddy' while he got his 6 incher nailed inside her. Yes, yes, it naturally screams history of paedophilia in my mind. Do these guys treat thier daughters like this?
Crazy fukcing America starting more crazy sh1t.

But now, it has lost it's meaning, and is used to butter you up. Papi, big man. Papi, you got control. Papi, you so good.

Children usually call thier dads papi (as does my daughter), I make point no one who is not my daughter will call me papi, or just once. And Grandfathers are papa. When they call you papa, start window shopping for coffins.

But you can be ghe best 'papi' in all DR, those skinny little whores will still skin, debone and serve you up with chips in 45 seconds!

I used to hate it, but when from a girl shop assistant I know who isn't trying to fok me and is just being endearing I lezrned to live with it, sometimes like it.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
hmmmmm I hear the younger girls getting called mammiii, (ok, your in charge, tis up to you etc), but not the boys papi, not unless just playing. Young men will call each other papa in endearing terms PAPA (my wise friend, submissive)

All thaf stuff is very close internal chit chat though. No relation to Do i icanas and yanks

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If you are a gringo, Papi = give me some money for my hair.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Papi has 2 meanings,
what mom will call her son when he is a kid , instead of my hijo. Used out of love, to boost his ego and be sweet. Latino boys will be called this in most latino countries.
Its a street slang for latino men in the hood (puerto rican mostly) as well.
I Dont care for the word as i find it racist coming from a non latino person, again, mostly used by PRicans in ny. For me, at times, its like calling me the N word, its only being used because im latino.
i find it low class to be called this ,as if i was a street drug dealer or something. Picture a junky with a scratchy voice saying "whats up papi, got any of that stuff?"
Its ok to use in bed while getting busy, but thats it!

Pitbull uses it in the song because "hot latin girls" sound sexy saying it. Likely originated from iris chacon or celia cruz , as a sexy thing a spanish girl would say.
David big papi ortiz is stuck with the name, like it or not.
I really hate this word, and only allow to be called it by family.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think everyone forgot about a regular meaning of this word: "daddy" when used in reference to the father. i call my suegro "papi", just like his other kids do.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
if a girl on the street or that you don't know calls you "papi" , she's a hooker. Your next question should be How much ? and Where is the closest cabana?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Kapitan, I have noted latino men expressing offense when "papi" is used by non Latinos in the U.S. My first encounter with latino culture was nuyoricans, and that word became part of my vocabulary. I try to stop myself from using it, but it often slips out. I corrected myself and apologized several times for seeming over familiar, but my Colombian best friend said it doesn't come out offensive. Slightly charming to Colombians, knowing I am a speaker of Spanish as a second language.

May I offer a corollary. Sometimes when I hear white colleagues at work say "girlfriend" in a southern accent with colleagues of African descent it always sounds tinny and off key. Presumtpuous at best. Cultural appropriation in the middling. Potentially and sometimes actually offensive.

A complex situation.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If she is calling you Papi and her Motoconcho driver Papi, then say Hola to her Dominican boyfriend or your "husband in-law" as Clapton always called Harrison.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's not all as simple as you like to imagine, being 'every female on thd Island wants to fuk you', there are innocent expressive usages.

When pleading my case in court in Boca Chica a few years ago the drunken whacky magistrate cried out 'o' papi' (in my favour or support if possibler) as I explained a certain crazy situation that had come about.

I knew she was whacked out, she was off her head and had been the previous time in court also, except that time she simply said she didn't know how to deal with cases involving foreigners and natives and she was postponing so someone else could deal with it. HaHa!