Adventure anyone?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I am hideously bored living in the paradise of the Dominican Republic. I could probably add most of the Caribbean as well but where O where can one find some adventure? I am absolutely not interested in sitting on a beach or seeing yet another 'Beautiful Paradise Beach' or chasing 'love for hire' answers to my erotic fantasies,(and subsequent disappointment,emotionally and financially) so forgive me, but what is there to do here in the Caribbean??

I have spent most of my life in strange and interesting places (30 + years in Africa for starters) and now I am in the DR and struggling to find something,not even life-changing or exotic, to do.

The idea of a world cruise on the top cruise liner would not only kill me but make me 100 lbs heavier before I die of ennui.

Climbing Pico Duarte would just dent my pride and pocketbook (and last liver reserves) to see what? Clouds from the top? Been there> Done it.

4x4 across fantastic terrain with challenging ravines and ditches?Technical challenge and human skill? Tame and expensive.

So.

Can anyone suggest some sort of challenge we could do (or I could do) that would drag me from this torpor of lotus eating?

(I guess from most of DR1 posters, I am not living on too much hope of a constructive answer but sometimes....)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am hideously bored living in the paradise of the Dominican Republic. I could probably add most of the Caribbean as well but where O where can one find some adventure? I am absolutely not interested in sitting on a beach or seeing yet another 'Beautiful Paradise Beach' or chasing 'love for hire' answers to my erotic fantasies,(and subsequent disappointment,emotionally and financially) so forgive me, but what is there to do here in the Caribbean??

I have spent most of my life in strange and interesting places (30 + years in Africa for starters) and now I am in the DR and struggling to find something,not even life-changing or exotic, to do.

The idea of a world cruise on the top cruise liner would not only kill me but make me 100 lbs heavier before I die of ennui.

Climbing Pico Duarte would just dent my pride and pocketbook (and last liver reserves) to see what? Clouds from the top? Been there> Done it.

4x4 across fantastic terrain with challenging ravines and ditches?Technical challenge and human skill? Tame and expensive.

So.

Can anyone suggest some sort of challenge we could do (or I could do) that would drag me from this torpor of lotus eating?

wrecksum, there is nothing better to inspire the human psyche than to accept a challenge. make it your challenge to find something new and exciting to do in the DR. that will keep you animated.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
leave. this land is about as interesting as a herpes sore on a freshly bleached anus of the humankind.

LMAO :laugh:

You have a way with words....every one already knows that but this one is yet another classic :)

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
buy a motorbike and start to take trips. like 100 km every day
each time take only bottle of water with you and full tank.
if the bike will get broke and you will have no money somewhere in the middle of nowhere you will start to have your own desired adventure...

if you are bored you may also enter any given souvenir shop, start to look at the things like you would like to buy them, get to know shop sellers,be friendly, have nice long chit chat, appear to be ready to buy something and later dissapear

you may also: drive like crazy and argue with AMET that you are innocent, argue with motoconchistas and never pay them more than 20 pesos for a ride...
you may also put some nails under the police cars and watch how these usually calm guys get angry like madmen....

Volunteer your time somewhere?

I agree with this although it isn't what the OP is looking for I am sure but 3 organizations I volunteer for here have been great for me and I have learned A LOT about the DR in the process and met some great people. Keeps me pretty busy and mostly out of trouble (well sometimes). Really the wife and I don't have much time to be bored here.

I like going on driving adventures, it's a lot of fun getting lost and trying to find your way to places. You can end up in the coolest little towns. I forget though wrecksum do you drive here?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Load up a donkey with water, some food, a hammack and plastic tarp ( in case it rains ), a machete and some matches..... and plastic bafs dor rubbish......
And head for 6 days in the hills. ( toilet paper and a gun are optional ).

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
leave. this land is about as interesting as a herpes sore on a freshly bleached anus of the humankind.

Says a lady who's been there for years and can leave anytime.

Wreck,consider working we're doing some charitable activities. it appears you've done more than your fair share of adventures,but you may not have done all that much in terms of integrating yourself in the local community, or just getting back in general. taking a few kids up Pico Duarte for the first time might be a lot more fulfilling then just going out by yourself. just a thought.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
theres only one real adventure in d.r. and it is spoken about sometimes...it might also be foolhardy...no sense to it difficult, expensive, and a true test of skills and adventure...:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Have you tried:
- scuba
- kiteboarding
- salsa (with professional lessons)
- bachata (with professional lessons)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

So.

(I guess from most of DR1 posters, I am not living on too much hope of a constructive answer but sometimes....)

You are not alone, I know a few residents from this site and a few who are none related to DR1 in similar situations, or stuck as they eventually relent to accept.
The place as a full time resident often has its sell by date. Those that have work to dominate thier life will not enter into the void of 'hmm, now what do I do?' until they have no more work commitments and what they may have previously enjoyed fitting into a weekend break is now the 'void of thier life'.
The DR as a functional (or disfunctional as the case may be) country is the single most boring scrap of earth poking above sea level on this planet, if you don't have obligations and are full time, and that means no regular trips out.
I think I lasted about 5 years until I completely ran out of anything remotely interesting. Then the final years were just simply unenjoyable. I tried living in every environment there is to offer to try to find stimulation. Working, regular vacations within, trips to places of historic and national importance, which were of no importance at all to me, which is quite normal for me. I don't get stimulated by things that don't move, maje me laugh or change my life for the better.
If you have hit the sell by date then don't do as I did and hang on to get bitter, get on with life, go somewhere that will stimulate you again for a few years, do it all again elswhere, that is what the planet is here for, our enjoyment.

Aug 21, 2007
Enroll in an online university. It will challenge you, sharpen up your mind, provide great discussions with diverse, interesting, smart individuals, and will consume spare time with reading and writing assignment. It may also alter your world view and give you a new lease on life. Almost any university in the US now has online programs, so go shopping!

Lindsey

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Excitement and stimulation come from the inside out. If you are waiting for something to impinge on you to relieve your boredom then I fear you will wait a long time and get very moldy in the process.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Start your own business and hire some Dominicans to do the work....within a few days your hunger for adventure is completely satisfied forever...

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Time for a vacation to Disneyland?
The sad truth is wherever you go, you are still stuck with you.....but if you enjoy your own company (and people along the way) it all usually works out.....An adventure is simply a diversion from the mundane....After the adventure is over you are back at square one.....Change your life into something that sustains your passions for the long term......An opportunity for a little self discovery?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

So.

I am not a psycoanalyist but I play one on this forum. It sounds like the DR is not the problem. It is you. Life is about enjoying the simple moments not jumping through flaming hoops. It sounds like you need to to make small changes in your daily routine and maybe spend time with close friends or develop a relationship with women that does not involve self indulgence and pesos. I am not a religious person but be thankful for what you have and pay it forward my friend. "Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes .....