Claro roaming rates in Europe

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm visiting the UK, Belgium and Spain this summer. I usually buy a cheap pre-paid phone on arrival and use that, but this year as we'll be in several countries, I was wondering whether it would be more practical to get roaming from Claro. I'm put off by all the horror stories of huge unexpected charges. All advice and suggestions appreciated.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In europe u can buy claro phone cards under the name "mucho".
U then charge up ure pre-paid mobile phone, fixed land line or public phone, and it costs near to nothing to phone home to the dr. (Equivalent of 500 pesos gives u over 1h30 communication time ). That would be my choice for phoning home.

As for a phone to use in europe to europe. Dont do roaming, even between european countries it is very expensive. ( a new law was supposedly on its way, but i dont know what happened to that ).
There is a multitude of pre paid deals, for example local rates between france/switzerland/germany.
It is a good option if u have a multiple SIM card reader on your phone. 2 SIM cards should get u prepaid deals between 4+ countries.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my suegra paid about 100 dollars for the calls she made during holidays in europe. claro roaming. she made several, relatively short calls to DR. in my last trip home i used various apps on my phone whenever i had wifi. these days there's free wifi in shopping centres, train stations, museums and so on.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The main concern really is how to handle it the moment we arrive at Heathrow as the taxi company requires a phone number for the online booking. Apparently they phone you to check you have arrived and direct you to the meeting point.