More new roads

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
New bypass to open at end of June

Following his meeting with President Danilo Medina at the Presidential Palace yesterday, Monday 1 June 2015, Public Works Minister Gonzalo Castillo told reporters that the construction of the second phase of the Santo Domingo bypass involves an investment of US$130 million by the government and should be ready by the end of this month. The first phase cost US$115 million.

The second phase is 23 kilometers long and is aimed at easing traffic flow in the north of the capital as it will be used by vehicles going to and from the Cibao area and the south of the country.

Inversi?n II tramo Circunvalaci?n Santo Domingo es de US$130 MM DR1 News

The continuing new roads and road upgrades in the country is really good news for those of us who drive around a lot. When the Santo Domingo beltway is complete this will benefit traffic greatly from the Cibao going to Las Americas and the East and indeed from the west to east to west.

The bypasses to Bani and Azua are also expected soon which will open up the southwest with a good through highway from SDO. And with the Barahona Pedernales upgrade that is all good.

The highways to the East are great and by year end one will be able to drive from Bavaro all the way to Sabana al Mar through Miches on new and upgraded roads.

From the very recent news the Piedra Blanca San Jose road is now under construction again and should provide a good shortcut from Cibao to the South West. I only hope that improvements to the Constanza to San Jose road can follow because that is a trip I want to enjoy.

Whilst I am aware of current improvements to the Navarette to PoP road, it still appears to me that there are a number of improvements to the Northern Provinces which are needed. The SFM road to Nagua never seems to get properly surfaced in it's entire length....maybe the corrupt politicos in SFM are a factor. And the NC road from Nagua through Cabrera could do with improvement. It seems the North is lagging behind when it comes to road improvements. Why?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is clear that the DR Government is putting almost all of their resources in the Punta Cana area. New terminal built and open, roads are as good as in any Country, etc. Over 100 Hotels there and more are being built every day.

The new bypass in today's DR News will avoid completely the Capital going from Santiago to Punta Cana.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is clear that the DR Government is putting almost all of their resources in the Punta Cana area. New terminal built and open, roads are as good as in any Country, etc. Over 100 Hotels there and more are being built every day.

The new bypass in today's DR News will avoid completely the Capital going from Santiago to Punta Cana.

You are right and the upgraded road from Bavaro to Miches and beyond opens up many more beaches including the impressive untouched one at Miches. I should have mentioned that there also is an upgrade on Highway 3 passing through Boca Chica which should further improve the drive to the East.

Already one has very good roads into Samana Province from the South with a new airport there, and it would appear the plan is to open up the South West to tourism with a large hotel planned beyond Bani and the better roads all the way to Pedernales. Added to which the newly announced closure of the Bauxite mining and Cabo Rojo which paves the way for development at Bahia de Las Aguilas perhaps in time.

The only bright spot for the NC seems the cruise line terminal.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
The NC is for sure lacking in good roads it is better than what it was years ago but still far from 100%

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Relief is coming.

The government has improved the road network to and from Punta Cana to the south and is growing to eventually improve transit to Sabana de la Mar to the north. It has established an Immigration office in Veron. Otherwise, it is taking the revenues from tax and fees related to the growth of the tourist zone. The new terminal at PUJ is a private investment by Grupo Punta Cana. The hotels are private investments.

The bypass road when completed will help those trapped in the tourist zone to escape to the mountains without having to transit Kennedy. Relief is coming.

Regards,

PJT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
danilo was in POP last weekend (saturday, i think) checking the progress of the cruise ship port construction.he avoided all questions regarding POP in general, specifically building proper road from santiago to the north coast. i assume this is of zero interest to the government at the moment. east coast is where the money is. it does not seem that carnival is putting a lot of pressure on this issue either. they are interested in keeping their turistas relatively close to the port.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I am glad the government is helping the south coast but falling short on it's ten year promises to fix the roads on the north coast.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
You better tell me what they have to build around Santo Domingo to remove trucks from Malecon finally.

Aug 6, 2006
I am glad the government is helping the south coast but falling short on it's ten year promises to fix the roads on the north coast.

How does closing the Bauxite mines help make the Bahia de los Aguilas more accessible? Is the Bahia that close to the Cabo Rojo port?

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I live in Naco, one of the most expensive areas of Santo Domingo, and all small streets look like after the war, so many potholes. Even the fact that Leonel Fernandez lives there doesn't change anything.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Grupo Martin?n construir? otro hotel en Punta Cana

The reason the roads are so good to the East is that it is where tourists go now. More hotels breaking ground announced.

Sad to say the word has been in the investment community is to invest in EC and Samana and NC is toxic. It is sad that the region that kicked the tourism industry off here in DR with volume low end AI's has never adjusted after the food poisoning scandals years back and has focused on sex tourism and beach hippies.

I do at least hope that the Aman in Playa Grande can put some life back into a part of NC along with the cruise terminal. I have to think that opening a Gansevoort in Sosua was a 'punt in the dark' by some unsuspecting soul.

And I would very much hope that the powers to be soon upgrade the Nagua to Rio San Juan stretch of road......a bye pass of Nagua would be great.....it is a part prepared road stopping in the town and would save all that time consuming hassle negotiating the town

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was under the impression that one of the main aims of the highway from Punta Cana to the capital was to make it easier for the millions of tourists who fly into Punta Cana and stay at AI hotels to visit other parts of the island. The whole point of the highway was to benefit the rest of us. Certainly tourism numbers in Santo Domingo have grown hugely as a result, there are now tens of buses of tourists daily who visit the Colonial Zone from Punta Cana, so this bit has certainly worked.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I was under the impression that one of the main aims of the highway from Punta Cana to the capital was to make it easier for the millions of tourists who fly into Punta Cana and stay at AI hotels to visit other parts of the island. The whole point of the highway was to benefit the rest of us. Certainly tourism numbers in Santo Domingo have grown hugely as a result, there are now tens of buses of tourists daily who visit the Colonial Zone from Punta Cana, so this bit has certainly worked.

I'm a sceptic and prefer to think the reasoning behind the road improvements to EC and Samana was to reduce the travel time of the wealthy residents of Santo Domingo to their second homes. The sales pitch was some tourists travelling in reverse.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I am usually last to defend the DR Gov. but:
1. The metro line 1 and/or 2 don't go to Bavaro
2. The overpasses built and being built in the capitol (current 27 Febrero con Privado / Mella con Charlie in the capitol and the new one on Auto pista Duarte) NOT on the way to Bavaro.
3. Bypasses for Bani and Azua do NOT benefit Bavaro/Punta Cana
4. If you are saying that "the new terminal built is a new airline terminal in Punta Cana (I wasn't aware, not my favorite part of the Island) it is privately owned by the Raneri family
If you live or visit only Bavaro Punta Cana maybe you think that is the bulk of their resources but in reality it is just a portion.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
How does closing the Bauxite mines help make the Bahia de los Aguilas more accessible? Is the Bahia that close to the Cabo Rojo port?

When you turn off the Pedernales road to head to Bahia de Las Aguilas, you join a red dirt road which is quite wide and you pass speeding trucks loaded with Bauxite heading to the port or rather pier at Cabo Rojo which is situated on a beach not reminiscent of beaches you find in the Bahamas. Add to that you have a large industrial plant which takes the excitement out of the rest of the drive to what is the most pristine beaches in this country.

Doesn't make it more accessible, but sure does pave the way for more development perhaps.

Aug 6, 2006
When you turn off the Pedernales road to head to Bahia de Las Aguilas, you join a red dirt road which is quite wide and you pass speeding trucks loaded with Bauxite heading to the port or rather pier at Cabo Rojo which is situated on a beach not reminiscent of beaches you find in the Bahamas. Add to that you have a large industrial plant which takes the excitement out of the rest of the drive to what is the most pristine beaches in this country.

Doesn't make it more accessible, but sure does pave the way for more development perhaps.

Okay, thanks. I have not yet been there.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I am glad the government is helping the south coast
The Government is not helping the South Coast, North Coast, etc. They are helping themselves to buy more jeepetas.

I'm a sceptic and prefer to think the reasoning behind the road improvements to EC and Samana was to reduce the travel time of the wealthy residents of Santo Domingo to their second homes.
The one and only reason behind every Government project in DR is always the same: they can steal some money on it. The larger the project, the more money can be stolen. If someday they will figure out that they can easily steal a lot doing the road improvements on the North Coast, they will start those improvements the same day.