Dominican Driver License in US/NY

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I did a search and the most recent thread I saw was from 2007. My wife has DR license. She was just approved for a Visa to US.
Is her DR license sufficient for driving there? Does she need to get an IDP or International Driving Permit? I assume th DR consulate in Miami can provide that?

Thanks in advance for any info!

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
In NY she has to apply for a NYS drivers licence. I don't think she has to do the road test but she has to take the written test. The written test s also given in Spanish.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If she has a visa to live then she just needs to go to the local DMV there or wherever they issue driver's licenses.

Apply for a license and show the DR license as proof she can drive.

It should be simple.

If she is only visiting I don't know the answer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Easiest thing might be to call a major car rental place like Hertz or Avis, not locally but on their main 800 number. They'll tell you quick enough if they would rent her a car in NY. I suspect they'll say "Of course!"

If it's legal for a car rental, it's legal.

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If she is just visiting the DR license is good. If she is planning on staying she will have to go to the DMV and surrender the DR license to get the NY license. She may also have to take both a written test and a road test to prove she can drive.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
If she is just visiting the DR license is good. If she is planning on staying she will have to go to the DMV and surrender the DR license to get the NY license. She may also have to take both a written test and a road test to prove she can drive.

Likely will eventually move to US. This trip however is purely a visit. Nephews Graduation, and wife meeting family and friends in NY and friends in Miami.
Also getting a feel for both so as to help decide where we want to live.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have been renting cars in Miami for years with my DR License. Never a peep about it. Got pulled over by a cop after almost crashing into him. Gave him the DR license, and he went in his car to the computer. Came back and just gave me a warning, no ticket. Asked me how they drive here and I told him.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I did a search and the most recent thread I saw was from 2007. My wife has DR license. She was just approved for a Visa to US.
Is her DR license sufficient for driving there? Does she need to get an IDP or International Driving Permit? I assume th DR consulate in Miami can provide that?

Her DR License is good for the term of the stay in the U.S.
That's to say that once she arrives at the airport in NY her passport is stamped with a valid duration for her visit. Her driver license is good until that date stamped as well.

She can even get insurance whilst driving in NY for the vehicle she uses. Which will benefit her greatly in case of an accident.

No need for International Driving permit for U.S./Dominican citizens as both countries recognize each other driver's privileges.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

For a immigrant visa arrival in the U.S., it's required to take both the written and road tests for drivers originating from the DR.

For visitors nothing is needed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does anyone think that any tourist that comes into NY cannot rent a car without using his license from the Country he came from? Does anyone here think that if a US citizen goes to Europe he cannot use his license to drive?

Chill out and don't worry, be happy and use your DR license.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Likely will eventually move to US. This trip however is purely a visit. Nephews Graduation, and wife meeting family and friends in NY and friends in Miami.
Also getting a feel for both so as to help decide where we want to live.

Skip NY and head to Miami. It will be a life saver for both of you and the kids. The best description of Miami for a Dominican is the DR but with dollars.

NY is another whole beast. You'll soon lose touch with family living. It'll turn out to be everyone on their own little world. Little to do as a family or get togethers every week or so.

Skip NY, do so if only to pay a quick visit.

Just keep in mind Miami is just as expensive as the DR. Some stuff for cheap, most for a big buck.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Does anyone think that any tourist that comes into NY cannot rent a car without using his license from the Country he came from? Does anyone here think that if a US citizen goes to Europe he cannot use his license to drive?

Chill out and don't worry, be happy and use your DR license.

Some car rental companies have moved to requesting the AAA(or other type) issued translations thingy. It's required by the local police in some major cities to assist agents in performing their duties. It's not a Law, but more like a courtesy extended by some rental companies to their local law enforcement agencies.

The best one to get comes from the one linked to the U.N.

Jan 9, 2004

Driving privileges are state specific. Check with the DMV of the state she will be in.

Most states honor foreign licenses and frown on the scam that is International driving permits.

That having been said, Florida passed a law requiring International driving permits....but since it violated some international treaty, the law was not enforced.

My state allows a foreign visitor to drive for a period of up to one year from the time of entry on a license issued by the visitors home country....but only for certain countries (DR license is ok to drive) see below.

Q#3. Does an International Driving Permit
confer driving privileges in Massachusetts?

A No. It does not confer any driving privileges.
The Permit is not a substitute for the person’s
valid driver license. A driver who is licensed
in another country must carry his/her valid foreign
driver license when driving in Massachusetts. The
ooperator should also carry an INS document which
shows the date that the operator last entered the U.S.
The valid I-94 containing the date of admission to the
U.S. should be sufficient.

A foreign visitor from one of the countries or territories listed in Appendix “C” may legally drive on the roads
of the Commonwealth on his or her own country’s valid license (limited to a licensed driver who is at least 18
years old and limited to a vehicle of the type covered by the license) for up to one (1) year from the date of
arrival.

Again, a call to the DMV of the state(s) she will be driving in will give you your answer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Skip NY and head to Miami. It will be a life saver for both of you and the kids. The best description of Miami for a Dominican is the DR but with dollars.

NY is another whole beast. You'll soon lose touch with family living. It'll turn out to be everyone on their own little world. Little to do as a family or get togethers every week or so.

Just keep in mind Miami is just as expensive as the DR. Some stuff for cheap, most for a big buck.

best description of Miami for a Dominican is the DR but with dollars- in Havana.:cheeky:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Miami apt prices are way higher than DR. I am sure food and internet and certainly electricity are higher. If we go to NY it will be a quick visit to manhattan so the wife can experience times square, centra park, etc. A few days on Long island with family. Then say 3 weeks in miami.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Grocery shopping in Miami is way less than in the DR. Some goods are 50% higher in the DR. Talking about imported goods to the DR. Not even close on this one.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Miami apt prices are way higher than DR. I am sure food and internet and certainly electricity are higher. If we go to NY it will be a quick visit to manhattan so the wife can experience times square, centra park, etc. A few days on Long island with family. Then say 3 weeks in miami.

You are basing it at Peso to U.S. Dollar exchange rates. I'm basing at income level of parallels. Middle class, etc...

Miami, just like S.D. has a great number of informal business going on behind residential doors.

The key to living comfortably in Miami is to forge ahead and get your own business or stream of income other than just your paycheck.