Energy Conservation

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On the heels of the 'Water Conservation' thread.....

Electricity is expensive in RD and in rural Ontario Canada ( where I am now)
we are only here a few months , so I don't fuss as much as in RD where I am solar and totally independent.

Cdn Kitchen track lighting has 7 halogen 50w bulbs..... 350 watts total.. here in Barney Fife country

out of principle, I looked at it..... the LED angle

Cdn Tire sells a 2 pack for $25 Cdn...... 22 yr life --------- I'll be dead :dead:
but still , that's ~ $100 ($80 US)

In Cabrera, I have only LED.... no clue about the cost

I switched in Canada...... and expect big savings.

I would suggest that people import LED to RD to reduce energy costs.... why not ?:confused:

I have followed the water conservation advice.
Like dv8, I now shut off the water to soap and lather up

I think of her every time I do it.:lick:

and I am cleaner for it ....:bandit:

Hopefully , you'll think of me when you turn the lights on......... or off..........
for my suggestion

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Halogen is hot and LED is not. LED has been dropping in price in your boonies for the past 3 years. It is the future and soon all will be LED when they solve the problems of a higher wattage. Ontario hydro costs are considerably higher than RD because of the all the extra charges. I am pleased with how low my electrical bill is for Jan-Mar in DR. Much lower than at home in Ontario. Here you only pay for the kwh used with no added on bull**** government taxes and multiple fees.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
owww, WW, so sweet! i will think of you when i soap up my pasty body tonight ;)

on a serious note, i'm not sure we save energy, really. luckily in a household of two it is relatively easy to keep an eye on the lights, fans and appliances. our lights are low consumption bulbs, we are slowly switching to LED. some stuff is plugged in and on at all times: computers, modems, phones, sensors and so on. i try to organize laundry so that we do larger loads at a time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LED all you can..... HUGE savings

LED prices should come down , big time- soon

Makes a diffy when power is $$$

I'm in Klem KadiddleHopper town here..... mucho dinero for luz

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Good I am still trying to figure out hoe my ednorte bil went from 1500 one month to 2500 the next with less hours of electricity??? Only wy to live right here is to stop the system from fcuking you !!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Halogen is hot and LED is not. LED has been dropping in price in your boonies for the past 3 years. It is the future and soon all will be LED when they solve the problems of a higher wattage. Ontario hydro costs are considerably higher than RD because of the all the extra charges. I am pleased with how low my electrical bill is for Jan-Mar in DR. Much lower than at home in Ontario. Here you only pay for the kwh used with no added on bull**** government taxes and multiple fees.

No you just pay for all the people that do not pay I have noticed the increase in my bill last 2 months and nothing has changed in my house and i have had ede norte and my personal electrician check my line for peeople tapped into it and result negative Punto es electricity continues to get more exspensive every month just because ?????

May 29, 2006
LEDs are getting cheaper and better all the time. Check for sales. No more compact fluorescents for me! Aside from the energy savings, they simply don't burn out. With daily use, incandescents last about a year, fluorescents maybe two or three. LEDs are suppose to last 20.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I have lived in the same home for almost 30 years. The electric bill never lowers just raises. We have normally 2-3 failures per day. of 2-4 hours. Sometimes we have a 3 day black out. The electric bill comes the same every month [Some higher] The electric and gasoline prices here have no reality.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
Good I am still trying to figure out hoe my ednorte bil went from 1500 one month to 2500 the next with less hours of electricity??? Only wy to live right here is to stop the system from fcuking you !!

simple really.
less street power, more time on invertor, more time invertor on charge when power is on. those fcukers draw up to 20A or more on charge.
or your batteries could be on their way out.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a house across the road from where I live. It is vacant but still has the electricity hooked up. I pay 52 pesos a month for electricity. I have an apartment above my house that we rent for week-ends or short term stays. My bill when it remains vacant is usually less than 100 pesos. So no use - almost no cost. If you want reality with the price of gasoline you'll be paying more.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I want you to show me exactly what LED bulbs you are using and then compare them to CFL bulb consumption (60 Watt equivalent for example). Every time I look at it, CFL comes out pretty even.

LED light bulbs: Comparison charts - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living

It is also my understanding that in order to get equal performance for LEDs compared to CFL bulbs the LED's are being pushed hard, which is likely to greatly diminish their life expectancy.

May 29, 2006
LEDs are now $10-$15, and often on sale. CFLs take up to a minute to get up to full brightness when in colder rooms and LEDs have better light now. CFLs are the Eight Tracks of the bulb world. I don't know where they get their figures, but LEDs last much longer than CFLs, maybe ten times longer.

Another couple years and we'll start to see LEDs break the $5 price point, then CFLs are going to be history..

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would assume their is no way to recycle the CFLs in RD so that the mercury in them doesn't leach out into the environment?

May 29, 2006
I put the LED array from a $5 LED flashlight into one of those dollar store tap lights. Then i wired in a USB power cord. It can now run off a wall adapter or off of a rechargeable power pack. Nice to have by the side of the bed..

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy, There is one other factor you need to take into account -spikes and surges that you get on the electrical supply in the DR. We tried LEDs but they didn't last more than a few days even though we have extensive spike and surge protection. CFL have become more robust and tend to last a couple of years now. We recently did some comparrison of CFL and LED in a particular application and found that the electrical savings were not worth it and the pay back period was nearly 20 years.

WW is off the grid so his situation will not suffer from Edenorte problems.

Olly

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct windy.... I have them in RD but not enough really.

The switch I started this thread with happened in Canada.... halogen to LED, so a significant impact on power usage.
Talking back to Peter.... these were 12.50 Cdn $$....each , so go x 82% ~...say $10US

May 29, 2006
Also got one of these the other day, $6 on Amazon.

51SHDwLrvVL._SX425_.jpg

about the same light as a 7w CFL..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PY0GH6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

May 29, 2006
The power spike issue is a prob, agreed. You could do DC for LED lights, but it gets pricey to retrofit an existing system.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LEDs are now $10-$15, and often on sale. CFLs take up to a minute to get up to full brightness when in colder rooms and LEDs have better light now. CFLs are the Eight Tracks of the bulb world. I don't know where they get their figures, but LEDs last much longer than CFLs, maybe ten times longer.

Another couple years and we'll start to see LEDs break the $5 price point, then CFLs are going to be history..

I have not used LED bulbs here, but have heard from others using them that power spikes have killed their expensive LED bulbs. The warm up time is not an issue here in the DR with CFL bulbs.

Please show me a link to $10 to $15 LED bulbs that are 60 Watt equivalents (825 Lumens output). I am using GE CFL bulbs that are 825 Lumens using 13 watts and I paid $19.99 for 24 for them. That is 83 cents each.