how to handle noisy colmado?s / people

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
In the campo where I live, 30 meters away from my house, somebody opened a sort od colmado/terraza kind of thing. Lots of noise, driving me crazy.... very uncomfortable. I thought that it would be hard to tackle such a problem, especially in a country like this. Much to my surprise, it wasn't difficult at all, and within a week the problem was solved. Let me tell you how...

I went to a place called "procuraduria para la defensa del medio ambiente y los recursos naturales departamento judicial de san fransisco de macoris". This office covers the provinces salcedo to samana. In there there were huge piles of confiscated speakers. There was a very serious looking woman around 35 years old running the show. She said that in this country it is illegal to produce noise louder than 55 dB, no matter what time or what day. So she cited the owner of the colmado that very moment. She gave the citacion to me to hand over to the local alcalde who could then hand it to the colmado owner. Two days later i was sitting in her office with the colmado owner, and she explained him that if he surpasses the 55 dB mark, no matter what time, what day, or how long, she would send her posse to confiscate the speakers. Offcourse the guy had no clue what 55 dB was. They send a guy that very same day with a dB meter, and now he knows, he cannot produce more sound than that of an average TV. And now it's quiet! If he produces noise I can call her and they will confiscate the speakers, and donate them to the church, next to her office there were huge piles of big bosina's! No bribes, no hassle, all young descent serious people.... unbelievable but true

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Good for you! Well done. When I was living in the DR the noise from the colmado at quite some distance was horrendous!

Now those living near colmados can also do something about the deafening noise, especially at night.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well done and good job on resisting the urge to use few carefully aimed molotov cocktails, which would be my first choice. :laugh:

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
That was easy because the colmado owner is probably a regular guy. But if he was a police/military colonel/general, or a brother/sobrino of somebody like that, you could see a totally different picture.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
She said that in this country it is illegal to produce noise louder than 55 dB, no matter what time or what day.

This is a joke, 55dB is nothing. All of your power tools are illegal? Your AC units? Your TV as well? A loud (normal) Dominican conversation?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I agree. they should make it around 60-70.
but anyway, everybody knows (except deaf people) what the noise is...so nobody will molest the dude if his radio is playing with 60 db....
This is a joke, 55dB is nothing. All of your power tools are illegal? Your AC units? Your TV as well? A loud (normal) Dominican conversation?

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
In the campo where I live, 30 meters away from my house, somebody opened a sort od colmado/terraza kind of thing. Lots of noise, driving me crazy.... very uncomfortable. I thought that it would be hard to tackle such a problem, especially in a country like this. Much to my surprise, it wasn't difficult at all, and within a week the problem was solved. Let me tell you how...

I went to a place called "procuraduria para la defensa del medio ambiente y los recursos naturales departamento judicial de san fransisco de macoris". This office covers the provinces salcedo to samana. In there there were huge piles of confiscated speakers. There was a very serious looking woman around 35 years old running the show. She said that in this country it is illegal to produce noise louder than 55 dB, no matter what time or what day. So she cited the owner of the colmado that very moment. She gave the citacion to me to hand over to the local alcalde who could then hand it to the colmado owner. Two days later i was sitting in her office with the colmado owner, and she explained him that if he surpasses the 55 dB mark, no matter what time, what day, or how long, she would send her posse to confiscate the speakers. Offcourse the guy had no clue what 55 dB was. They send a guy that very same day with a dB meter, and now he knows, he cannot produce more sound than that of an average TV. And now it's quiet! If he produces noise I can call her and they will confiscate the speakers, and donate them to the church, next to her office there were huge piles of big bosina's! No bribes, no hassle, all young descent serious people.... unbelievable but true
I am afraid this will be not the end of the story! Dominicans don't forget and don't like if gringos tell them whats right or wrong. Be aware of future problems, not noise problems but they will take revanche!

I thank black baby jesus every night for our very quiet Barrio. Not all Doms LOVE noise non stop, at least our barrio doesn't!

I got in trouble driving home at 3am with my fav song playing, widows were up and really I didn't think it was that loud but drunk guy asked me to turn it down. jeje

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
funniest part

the funniest part of the conversation with the colmadero and the woman in charge at the office was, that the colmadero said: "pero mi amor, yo solo esta un colmadero....... and then she interrupted and said: "Yo no soy tu amor, yo esta magistrada".

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014

55 dB is the norm measurred at the public road, so not right beside an AC or other source. Public road

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
That was easy because the colmado owner is probably a regular guy. But if he was a police/military colonel/general, or a brother/sobrino of somebody like that, you could see a totally different picture.

No, they are shutting down noisy places all over the country right now. Ever wonder why the new places to be have crystal windows and AC running? It's because they took all the bosino's of all the primos and sobrinos! You'd have to be a very large party to avoid this, and those people simply don't run litlle noisy places. If you don't have windows and concrete to play your bosina's, they're gonna take em....!

Again I say: Unbelievably but true; things are changing

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I am afraid this will be not the end of the story! Dominicans don't forget and don't like if gringos tell them whats right or wrong. Be aware of future problems, not noise problems but they will take revanche!

That's what I was thinking I wouldn't be able to sleep at night in my campo

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
no its not. noise from quite busy public road is around 75 db.

I agree that 55 dB is a strange number, but it is on paper in the law in this country. If you want I can post the paper issued by the government. It's ridiculous but true.... 55 dB is the number that is escribed in the law.