Sliding closet doors in SD, where?

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Need to fabricate sliding closet doors for two closets. Modern design and good quality, not caoba crap.

Any companies with show rooms in Santo Domingo?

Thanks!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Need to fabricate sliding closet doors for two closets. Modern design and good quality, not caoba crap.

Any companies with show rooms in Santo Domingo?

Thanks!
Caoba crap? You probably can't get better quality than caoba crap.

I had some made 'a medida' of oak and had one normal caoba door adapted to a sliding door. Best thing is to call a good carpenter who makes it for you.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Caoba crap? You probably can't get better quality than caoba crap.

I had some made 'a medida' of oak and had one normal caoba door adapted to a sliding door. Best thing is to call a good carpenter who makes it for you.

No, no carpenters, no caoba crap, I need modern sliding closet doors, something like this:
contemporary-closet.jpg
, fabricated to dimensions of my closets.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am under the impression that caoba is mahogany and is the best wood here for home use. Impervious to termites. We have caoba tables, doors, dressers and chairs and they have lasted for years. No idea about oak. Sounds like you have a custom carpentry job. Not much is standard in constructon here. Ever notice Dominicans do not seem to be able to agree on vertical size of steps or that they should all be of equal size. We reinvent the wheel here every day but you cant beat the women or the avocados.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I am under the impression that caoba is mahogany and is the best wood here for home use. Impervious to termites. We have caoba tables, doors, dressers and chairs and they have lasted for years.
Guys, once again, I don't need that caoba crap. I have very modern style apartment with modern furniture, aluminum, glass, etc.. I need modern closet doors, look at the picture in my previous post, something like this.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Guys, once again, I don't need that caoba crap. I have very modern style apartment with modern furniture, aluminum, glass, etc.. I need modern closet doors, look at the picture in my previous post, something like this.
Perhaps if you were more positive in your quest people would be more helpful.
Instead of saying Caoba crap- which it isn't, just say that's not what I looking for.

http://www.californiaclosets.com/santo-domingo

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
caoba is crap and i hate it too. old fashioned and booooring. call any company installing windows/glass. they normally do also glass/mirror custom made closet doors. we have sliding mirror and aluminum ones installed in our house. off with the wood!

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Those are the same frames as Patio doors (Sliding glass doors) and you can find those at just about any glass shop.

No, totally different frames. Patio doors frames are too thick and ugly for the closet doors.

That modern crap you can find in ikea.

They don't fabricate anything to the custom size at Ikea, and they have modern design, but the quality is crap.

Last edited:

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Dear Op,

I'm looking for the something for my closets, I have hired a contractor in SD to give me an estimate within a couple of weeks. Lets exchange estimates, maybe we can help each other.

My 2 cents.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Dear Op,

I'm looking for the something for my closets, I have hired a contractor in SD to give me an estimate within a couple of weeks. Lets exchange estimates, maybe we can help each other.

My 2 cents.
Once I'll find something and get a price quote, I'll post it here.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Well - we bought nice sliding doors for our closets at Ikea. They are not crap actually and they are made of glass and aluminum. They have different sizes.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Well - we bought nice sliding doors for our closets at Ikea. They are not crap actually and they are made of glass and aluminum. They have different sizes.

They don't have sizes I need. And their doors look perfect when installed on their stand-alone closets. But what I need is doors and frame fabricated to the custom size, and it's a totally different story.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Americana in Kennedy sells a kit with the rails and the wheels etc, and you can then attach this to your doors which you can get made locally. Madeco which is near to Luperon also sells kits. If you use a decent carpenter and show them a photo of what you want, they should be able to make it and you'll find the quality is much higher than buying something imported. I have spent 5 years rebuilding a hotel, and pretty much everything I bought pre-fabricated has been thrown away, and everything I had made is still going strong. IKEA stuff in particular is made with chipboard, and that is absolutely wrong for this climate, you definitely need to use hardwoods like mahogany or a good quality treated pine if it's going to withstand the humidity.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No, totally different frames. Patio doors frames are too thick and ugly for the closet doors.

some of those guys who do patio doors also do custom made glass doors/windows/panels. think modern shops and offices with blue glass panels in small metal frames or custom walk in showers. just a thought, of course. you never know until you ask.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
some of those guys who do patio doors also do custom made glass doors/windows/panels. think modern shops and offices with blue glass panels in small metal frames or custom walk in showers. just a thought, of course. you never know until you ask.

I know what you are talking about, but that is not what I need. I need modern European style closet doors, not bathroom doors, patio doors or any other doors converted to closet doors. IKEA closet doors could be the right thing but they have their fixed sizes only.The link to California Closets was the good one, I'll try to visit them this week.