What is this wasp like insect?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
23v0r2d.jpg

This bug was about 4 inches (10cm) in size, looked like a wasp, and had bright orange wings that almost looked like butterfly wings. Not sure if it had a stinger, didn't wanna find out the hard way.

Sorry couldn't get a better picture, but would like to know what it is and if it stings.

Anybody ever see something like this, or know what it is exactly?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Thats what I thought, but I read somewhere they are only in the South West US.

Just looked it up, apparently they are found all over the America's, wherever there are Tarantulas.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
There are fly mimics that look like wasps, but they only have two wings. Could be an ant drone but prob a wasp. I'd keep your distance. I got a wasp sting once in the DR and it felt like a cattle prod.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive seen one of these things- it was a spooky thing as it was walking around rather than flying - evidently it was looking for tarantulas

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have seen a few of these. I swatted one with a electric bug swatter and it really didn't faze it much. Now I just avoid them. Normally they are around in Nov/ Dec when the tarantulas are mating.
From what I have heard these are the only natural preditor of tarantulas. Nasty things.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
We had them at our place in Santiago. Know them since I lived in Surinam. Stay away as far as you can because they are very dangerous not only for cacatas but also for us.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I have seen a few of these. I swatted one with a electric bug swatter and it really didn't faze it much. Now I just avoid them. Normally they are around in Nov/ Dec when the tarantulas are mating.
From what I have heard these are the only natural preditor of tarantulas. Nasty things.

Wow... electricity didn't even stun it? Let's hope they never need to use humans as incubators.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I must have hit 20 times with a flip flop and it was still moving around like crazy. Had I known how dangerous it was I would have been more careful.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
apparently their sting is the 2nd most painful insect sting in the world, after the Bullet Ant.

Interesting, I thought the Asian Giant Hornet might 1 or 2.
An allergic human stung by the giant hornet may die from an allergic reaction to the venom.

The venom contains a neurotoxin called mandaratoxin (MDTX),[9] a single-chain polypeptide with a molecular weight of approximately 20 kD,[9] which can be lethal even to people who are not allergic if the dose is sufficient. However if the victim is allergic to the sting this means an almost certain death.
Picture_Vespa.jpg

I have been stung by N. American wasp (did not hurt much) and ground hornets. Both times with the Hornets I ended up in the hospital, 5/7 stings. Bastards they are