Man shot dead last night.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Luz y Fuerza gave us an electricity cut last night from11 ish to 8 ish, as usual no warning , no explanation, no apology. As a result there was some kind of huelga,
in the dark i am told a man from Sanchez on his motorbike was called upon to stop by some men hiding in the dark under some trees.
Like I would have done he didn't want to stop for these suspicious looking men so they shot and killed him!! They later claimed they were the police.Would you have stopped?
Do you think that the authorities in this country will ever get a civilized act together ? In writing this i probably am influenced by my upbringing in England, in my youth cops did not carry guns
and a bent copper was the lowest of the low.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
the shooting policeman told me that the "bad" guys shot first...
also, I know that there was blackout from 8 pm for around 1 hour, later it went down again around 12...that time i went sleep...
I woke up around 4 am because the fan in my room wasnt working...so in my opinion the power came back and went down again around 4 am.
also, the protests were because of guys being shot, not electricity down...and i heard that the protesters cut down the cables, thats why the power went back at 8 am...

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
If no tourists or expats were hurt, I don't see the point to worry about such news. There are shootings every day in every part of DR, every day somebody dies in those shootings, so what? If Dominicans love to kill each other, I have nothing against that. Police, or "bad" guys, what is the difference?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
there were protests in the night, tyre burning and glass breaking...and whole night there was no electricity :)
If no tourists or expats were hurt, I don't see the point to worry about such news. There are shootings every day in every part of DR, every day somebody dies in those shootings, so what? If Dominicans love to kill each other, I have nothing against that. Police, or "bad" guys, what is the difference?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Trigger-Happy Police

There are many rumours and different stories about this.
The InfoDiario article says that allegedly 2 guys robbed two Italians accompanied by a 10-year old girl.

"...este junto a otra persona aun no identificada a bordo de una motocicleta marca Z300, color negro, atracaran supuestamente a 2 nacionales italianos acompa?ados de una ni?a de 10 a?os y le despojaron de un bulto color blanco conteniendo en su interior sus pertenencias."

Unless those Italians come forward and confirm this, I do not buy the police version.
The mayor of Las Terrenas is demanding an investigation.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Low Coppers

Luz y Fuerza gave us an electricity cut last night from11 ish to 8 ish, as usual no warning , no explanation, no apology.
Well, as you know by now, they could not have given a warning or such.
However, they took the opportunity to write this (PR article ;) ):
Comunicado - Luz y Fuerza trabaja en normalizar servicio el?ctrico - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

Do you think that the authorities in this country will ever get a civilized act together ?
PICHARDO says YES.
I say NO. :)

in England, in my youth cops did not carry guns and a bent copper was the lowest of the low.

I'm afraid, things have changed in merry, good ole England, too.
The shocking truth about police corruption in Britain ? The Spectator

donP

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011

Gringo..I will point you to #40 on the most violent cities in THE WORLD list...in the USA...
I haven't seen anyone here write that Americans love to kill each other.
Get your facts straight, please.

BTW New Orleans another US city at #28

Oh and Detroit is #22 another US city

more still, St Louis came in at #19 on the list

PS: I don't know what city in the DR you live in but I'm sure it wasn't on the list!
so they obviously don't love to kill each other as much as Brazilians, Colombians or even Americans

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2015-1#40-baltimore-maryland-had-3392-homicides-per-100000-residents-11

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
4 in 50

... Americans love to kill each other.

The quoted list shows clearly that in Latin America countries this love is most prevalent.
Only 4 US cities made it to the list of the 50 most violent cities worldwide.

Not bad, considering ... :pirate:

donP

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

You Sir,
Are an IDIOT!

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
You Sir,
Are an IDIOT!
You can take ANY Dominican newspaper from ANY date, 2000, 2005, 2015, etc.... just open it and what you see?

1. Apagones, blah blah blah
2. The residents of barrio (town, city) XXX were protesting about apagones, basura, blah blah blah
3. The PN moto patrols killed 5 people in different cases
4. Bad guys on motos killed another 5 people, stole their purses and wallets, PN is looking for them to kill them and to steal their wallets too.
5. The people are blaming Gobierno for apagones and for all this sh1t.
6. People don't want to pay for the electricity, it's too expensive.

The same news every day of every year. Should I worry about all these things? NO! Because otherwise I have to worry every day, 24 hours a day. And I tell you this, even if tomorrow they start to kill 100 policias, 100 regular Dominicans and 100 motoconchos a day, I don't fcucking care if foreigners and expats are not affected by this. Really.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominican Cities

Detroit still beats DR, as does Baltimore, New Orleans and St Louis...ALL IN THE GOOD 'OL USA!

You do not get it.
Those are cities.

The DR even has a very high rate overall (= average).
Can you imagine what that means for Dominican cities (like SD and Stgo.)?

(The province of Pedernales alone has a rate of over 40/100,000.)

donP

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Detroit still beats DR, as does Baltimore, New Orleans and St Louis...ALL IN THE GOOD 'OL USA!
I think this discussion is off-topic, but if you started this, I'll answer you.

So, don't you surprised that no cities from Montana are on the list? Or from North Dakota? Now go to Wiki and check this about Montana:

According to the 2010 Census, 89.4 percent of the population was White (87.8 percent Non-Hispanic White), 6.3 percent American Indian and Alaska Native, 2.9 percent Hispanics and Latinos of any race, 0.6 percent Asian, 0.4 percent Black or African American, 0.1 percent Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 0.6 percent from Some Other Race, and 2.5 percent from two or more races.

Now go and check the same thing about Baltimore, New Orleans, St. Louis, Detroit, and DR :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think this discussion is off-topic, but if you started this, I'll answer you.

So, don't you surprised that no cities from Montana are on the list? Or from North Dakota? Now go to Wiki and check this about Montana:

According to the 2010 Census, 89.4 percent of the population was White (87.8 percent Non-Hispanic White), 6.3 percent American Indian and Alaska Native, 2.9 percent Hispanics and Latinos of any race, 0.6 percent Asian, 0.4 percent Black or African American, 0.1 percent Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 0.6 percent from Some Other Race, and 2.5 percent from two or more races.

Now go and check the same thing about Baltimore, New Orleans, St. Louis, Detroit, and DR :)

You're right - totally off topic.

Let's get back to DR *now*.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Stop comparing the US to the DR...we are talking about crime here..Again as pointed out by AE this is not Off Topic. plus comparing the two is not a logical comparison. Two different "worlds.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
You can take ANY Dominican newspaper from ANY date, 2000, 2005, 2015, etc.... just open it and what you see?

1. Apagones, blah blah blah
2. The residents of barrio (town, city) XXX were protesting about apagones, basura, blah blah blah
3. The PN moto patrols killed 5 people in different cases
4. Bad guys on motos killed another 5 people, stole their purses and wallets, PN is looking for them to kill them and to steal their wallets too.
5. The people are blaming Gobierno for apagones and for all this sh1t.
6. People don't want to pay for the electricity, it's too expensive.

The same news every day of every year. Should I worry about all these things? NO! Because otherwise I have to worry every day, 24 hours a day. And I tell you this, even if tomorrow they start to kill 100 policias, 100 regular Dominicans and 100 motoconchos a day, I don't fcucking care if foreigners and expats are not affected by this. Really.

Thank you for substantiating the validity of my prior statement.
I don't care if the ladrones and mal creados are eliminated.
I do however care about the decent Dominicans and the Dominican families many of us have.