Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning Dominican Spanish

Can anyone recommend some good sources for learning Dominican Spanish? I'm not looking to learn slang, but rather to study Spanish in general. Wherever they are differences in vocabulary, I'd like to learn the Dominican words (and not the Mexican, Peruvian, etc.). I saw that Rosetta Stone offers Spanish (Latin America), which is good in that ignores European Spanish, but I was wondering if there was anything out there that teaches specifically "proper" Dominican Spanish.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They won't teach ghetto Spanish, nor more Taino-based words. Pimsleur has a Latin-Spanish set that's ~$30 on Amazon last I looked. All MP3 files, and very conversational-based.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unpreferable Vernacular

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good sources for learning Dominican Spanish?
    It escapes me why someone would like to learn Dominican Spanish...
    Apart from a few dozen vernacular words which may be useful to know I would not recommend to emulate how Dominicans speak.
    The reputation which comes with it, is not desirable.

donP

4. Likes ROLLOUT liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems there are three kinds of Spanish spoken most in the DR. I am sure there are more.

Spanish from Spain. These are the people that colonized this place and want to keep it that way : ) Still, at least two distinct dialects - north and south of Spain.

Regular Latin American Spanish - Rosetta Stone Spanish - spoken in Mexico too. All the s's intact.

Dominican Spanish - or the famous "gutter" Spanish people complain about. Spoken by less educated Dominicans. Taxi drivers, security guards, bartenders, store clerks, etc. All my friends : ) Also spoken at home by bank empoyees, lawyers, and business managers when off the clock jjjjjj.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good sources for learning Dominican Spanish? I'm not looking to learn slang, but rather to study Spanish in general. Wherever they are differences in vocabulary, I'd like to learn the Dominican words (and not the Mexican, Peruvian, etc.). I saw that Rosetta Stone offers Spanish (Latin America), which is good in that ignores European Spanish, but I was wondering if there was anything out there that teaches specifically "proper" Dominican Spanish.
    The word coño is used differently in the DR.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my personal thought ... Rosetta Stone consistently gets less than stellar reviews (and is expensive). Do a search of reviews before you buy.

One of my sons used "Rocket Spanish" and has done pretty well with it ( a summer semester of law school in Madrid ... despite his Spanish training being Latin American).

The one that I am working with is "Learn Spanish Like Crazy" (LSLC). It is more intense than "Rocket Spanish" but is known to get decent results.

Both have web sites with marketing that reads like a hard sell ... but get beyond that. They are competing against Rosetta.

Here is a video of a guy who used LSLC. He did half of level 1 ... then went to the DR for few months and continued studying the rest of the training (levels 2 and 3?). On other videos, he claims that he was "conversational after 9 months total study/immersion, and advanced after a couple of years. He says that he may now have a Dominican accent. According to the comments on this video, I might believe him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmnny7W01k

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"proper" Dominican Spanish is an oxymoron, I presume you mean all the slang that's used common place in the R.D. ?

Learning proper Spanish from Spain is not bad (called Castellano), It's how I learned, and the reason it's not bad is the foundational Spanish is still the same, its when you get into places, as described, such as the R.D. where conversation is less formal and slang is more common, i.e. Guagua. Once you learn basic Spanish, its easy to pick up on the differences in the 2 as well as, now that you know the basics, and you are able to ask, what does "X word" mean in Spanish to a Dominican...

9. Likes Africaida, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Duolingo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look and listen to Marcus Santamaria.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RayO View Post
    Try Duolingo.
    That's good and I am using it daily, but don't expect to find "Dominicanisms" like funda = bag, guapo = angry, guineo = banana etc, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast