tics....dog tics??? people tics

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
does d.r. have tics??? not so worried about myself but do want another dog anyone kno???:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Lots and fleas also. I use Bravecto Large for my 3 dogs. I get a script from a vet and post it to 1800petmeds and they ship it to me here in DR. Found K9 and all those other collar thingies last about about a week. Bravecto Large has lasted 4 months now.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Yes, docs have tics, mange, fleas, and any other condition you can imagine if you don't routinely protect and groom them. They suffer worse than elsewhere due to high humidity.
You don't strike me as someone who has thier feet firmly planted, or is obligated to hang around. Remember if you ever need to rehome 2 dogs due to change in situation, it's double the trouble. Also finding sitters for 2 while on vacation, massive headache. Unable to find either and need to kennel them, double the cost.

If this is you or anyone else (loads of people spend months a year rather than full time) and can't commit to a 'forever home' for a dog then seriously consider fostering, you're giving far more back by fostering than adopting, more in demand and is an alround easier out for you and the animal should circumstances change.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots of ticks this year. Have to check dogs everyday.

Using Ivermectin added to food and Soresto flea/tick collars collars. Dogs spend most of the day outside. Well manicured yard. New ticks everyday.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I noticed this last months or 2 that there was loads of tics ( carapatas ?? ).

I use invectimin, bayer pollo talc, I even sometimes inject them with some stuff that " poisons" their blood ( to kill the tics, not the dogs :alien: ).

But the only way to go is grooming daily....... ( well works for 3 out of 4 dogs, anyway.....).

When the cows are in the field next door its a complete horror !!!! I dont let the dogs free in the conuco those days anymore, they are confined to the garden......

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We use ivermectin injectable. Buy the bottle at vet supply then inject with a 20 guage syringe subq (under the skin). We use one cc for 50 pound dog. Just pinch the skin between shoulder blades and inject it an an angle under the skin. A good dog does not feel it. Keeps them flea and tick free for about for a month. Here in Sosua we usually only need it once a month. Proximity of cows increase the ticks tremendously.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I inject the dogs, bathe them in tick/flea shampoo thingy, put invectimin in their water, groom them ( even between the paws ).......
So they are tick free, guaranteed.....

THEN go out to the conuco to feed chickens and run about like mad men/dogs......
1 hour later, back to house...... 20 ticks by dog....duuhhhhh
The funny thing is the ticks dont bite the dog ( ie, blow up full of blood ), but rather run around like tiny spiders on their fur.....
So of course they fall on the ground of the patio, I spray the patio with bomba and solution thingy......
Next day back out to conuco
And the cycle continues, on and on and on and on.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes i wonder about this issue... we have two large dogs who live in the garden and get walked daily in the fields where horses and cows roam (it's campo de golf, allegedly but more campo than golf, if you ask me). then we have a bunch of cats who do as they please, including a not so homeless one who comes in to eat every day. zero problem with ticks (it's garrapatas, malko). all animals get oral deparasitante plus frontline drops.

we had tick infestation once, inside a dog house there must have been hundreds of them. house washed with cloro and them fumigated. since then we fumigate regularly, both the garden and the house. never seen ticks again.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have two boxers. My vet recommended they use a tick collar. Has worked well. Live in an apartment, so it is important to keep the dogs tick free.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So far, this year has been the worst ever for ticks in DR for our rotties. Flea/Tick Shampoos, Frontline drops, and they still have ticks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You may win the battle but never the WAR!!!!!!!!
I use "All Of The Above" and they still get ticks.
If you do nothing they get dozens.
Keep Up The FIGHT!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we are good so far. maybe our environment is more controlled? our garden is not that big and dogs only walk on a leash. cats are a different matter but i have never seen a tick on a cat, not even on the not-so-homeless one.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
This is only a suggestion, dv8, as we dont know each other....... no offense is to be taken.

This happened twice.
I take in a new dog ( to look after while owner is away ). Expats BTW, not dominican.
They assure u everything is in order, ie up to date shots, intestinal parasites, fleas and stuff.
Well when I take a closer look, with a comb, surprise !! Garrapatas. Not infestation, but a couple roamimg about.

As I said in previous post, the medcimes and stuff seem to discourage the garrapata ( thanks :laugh: ) from actually biting amd suckimg blood, but the small spider like critters still hitch a ride on them.
In my case, 1 of my 4 dogs, will not let himself be groomed. U can stoke him, but not manipulate him to go and find the critters..... we used to think he didnt have any, but only cos we werent looking hard enough. ( but its his own bloody fault for not letting us :devious:).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i get your drift, malko. occasionally i do check paws and ears of our rotties. these are the places where garrapatas normally stay. all clear so far. i don't comb them thou. the smallest dog, pom pom, does not leave home and gets groomed frequently. also note that we don't live in a campo where dogs have plenty of room to roam. the plague we cannot get rid of is mosquitoes. it's beyond tragic right now. how have i not died of dengue yet is a mystery.

Ticks ticks and more ticks!!! Ahhhh I think I have a somewhat tick free house for now. I do the Ivermectin weekly, give flea tick baths once in a while. I buy frontline for our 2 chihuahuas and it has not been working lately so will put them on Ivermectin now I guess.

I had never seen a tick before moving here, now sometimes there are hundreds! I do as many checks on the 10 dogs as I can buy they aren't impressed with my tick tweezer techniques anymore. I have a bit of a tick compulsive disorder I think. I love looking for ticks on dogs!!
My neighbour says she had only seen 1 tick in the 8 years she has been here...not sure she knows what a tick looks like???!!!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
The first time I saw a garrapatas full of blood on my rottie 2 years ago, I thought I was going to faint, literally !! :nervous::nervous:
Me !!! Pluck that out !!! No way, no way, no way !!!

Now I actually enjoy grooming the rottie, mainly cos he enjoys it. Its a great way to create a bond.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was told to add ivermectin to food/water once a month using the following formula for the dosage.

weight X 2 / 100 = dosage in cc/ml

Administer once every two weeks for a flea infestation.

Ivermectin will kill fleas and ticks after they bite and suck up some of the medicated blood. It will do nothing to prevent ticks and fleas from hopping on your pet. I've found ticks crawling up the walls in the shower, on a t-shirt in my closet, one on my wife but none on me.

I spend about 15 minutes a day rubbing my dogs all over...I can feel the ticks and then pull them off. Very few fat blood filled ones, but lots of little black suckers wandering around.

Ticks are climbers and will climb grass, other plants walls, bed posts and then wave their legs around latching on to the first warm blooded thing that they can reach. I think they can sense carbon dioxide. I don't think they can jump like fleas. To kill them, I use my lighter, they pop like popcorn. Otherwise dropping them into a small amount of rubbing alcohol. They are surprising hard to squish. Flushing them down the toilet or sink won't kill them.

Just another advantage offered for no extra charge to those who choose to live in paradise.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I put them in a bowl full of cloro and watch them dissolve......