Any idea what her visa status is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I know a Dominican woman who attended high school in the USA for a short period of time (sorry, do not have the specifics) but she was a minor while attending. Currently she lives in the DR, definitely a barrio gal, family doesn't seem to have a lot of money... would anyone know what her visa status would be? Would she have a green card (still)? I am not American so don't know too much about the residency/visa/citizenship situation. Would she be able to go back to the US if she wanted to? Thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light on this. The only other info I have is that her father is "en el exterior" but I do not know if he is in the US or another country.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
asked that way, this question can not be answered.
is she USA Born? under what "status" did she attend highschool? under a "student visa thingy" or as a US born child or...?
if she is an adult now, what kind of papers/documentation does she have? passport of which country?

Mike

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
A green card is just another form of visa. They are good for 10 years. If she has been out of the U.S. for more than 6 months in a row she would have some serious explaining to do to get back in because the green card is a residency visa.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A green card is just another form of visa. They are good for 10 years. If she has been out of the U.S. for more than 6 months in a row she would have some serious explaining to do to get back in because the green card is a residency visa.

No, a green card is a permanent residency card, it is not a visa. They are good forever, as long as the holder does not commit a serious crime or leave the country for a long time.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
asked that way, this question can not be answered.
is she USA Born? under what "status" did she attend highschool? under a "student visa thingy" or as a US born child or...?
if she is an adult now, what kind of papers/documentation does she have? passport of which country?

Mike

The answer probably lies with the person that got her visa in the first place. It matters if dad is a citizen or resident. It's more likely that dad was a resident, and didn't follow through on residency or adjust her status. Age and marital status matters, too. He may have also decided it wasn't working, and sent her back. Her visa depended on him, so any chance of re-establishing it would probably depend on him.

Take a look at this:

Family of Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents) | USCIS

Then there's the possibility that paperwork was not entirely legit.

She is not likely the child of a citizen, or she would know it.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My step daughters green card is valid for ten years and must be renewed if she does not obtain her U.S. citizenship.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
No, a green card is a permanent residency card, it is not a visa. They are good forever, as long as the holder does not commit a serious crime or leave the country for a long time.

My step daughters green card is valid for ten years and must be renewed if she does not obtain her U.S. citizenship.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
So, let's just say that IF she had a green card, and 10 years have lapsed she's out of luck?

Might she have her passport?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The rules are complicated and then there are even more complicated ways to get around them. For instance my wife has a green card but doesn't much care for the U.S. so she also has a re-entry permit that allows her to remain out of the U.S. for more than 6 months at a time. She travels with a Dominican passport. From what I understand Dominican passports are relatively quick and easy to obtain. In the OPs friends case, if she didn't have U.S. citizenship, she could easily get a new Dominican passport if her old one has expired but would probably have a hard time getting through immigration in the U.S. using her green card if she has been out of the country for long. If she does not have a green card the problems multiply.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If she has a US Passport, then i guess no question about a visa would be necessary.

Mike

Right, I'm assuming that she only has a Dominican passport. To be clearer if she has her (old) Dominican passport, you could tell what type of visa she had. But that would probably be too easy.

The problem comes in that a child, obviously, depends on the adult to do paperwork, and after all this time really doesn't know what her status was.

To even begin to reapply, you'd have to start with basic information, which likely she doesn't have.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
She can visit the USCIS office at the US Embassy in Santo Domingo. Once there, she can fill out a form to find out what her "A" number is. Once she has that, they should be able to check the system to determine her status. The office is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8-11am. No appointment is necessary.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Many thanks. She was not US born. Wondering how she was able to attend high school in the US; perhaps it was through her father. No idea if he is a US citizen or resident… Again, since I am unclear on US immigration policy, I was hoping to find out if she could go back to the US or not; maybe I don't have enough information to determine a clear yes or no on this.

Jul 28, 2014
Seems weird you want to get detailed information about someone you can provide little information about, it doesn't really add up?!?!?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My understanding is with the 10 years rule. . It expires and if not renewed in time you start from go all over again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Clearly not enough information on her parents, original status in the US, etc. to provide an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.