Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It smells like gas!

Our neighbor is sprucing up his place, as he is moving back into his apartment after renting it to various tenants over the last few years. Yesterday, they were working on hooking up the stove, and they did so successfully. However, something was wrong.

Last night as we were saying goodbye to our dinner guests and walking them to our elevator, we noticed the smell of gas in the elevator waiting area outside of our door. Each floor of our apartment building contains two apartments, and the elevator is located between each apartment. I immediately ran to the door of my neighbors place, and sniffed where the door meets the frame, and the smell of gas was overwhelming. We beat on the door, rang the doorbell, and tried to call him without any luck. My fear was that he was passed out or expired in his apartment. Providentially, such was not the case. To make a long story short, he finally showed up at his place, and we entered the apartment. The smell of gas was almost enough to make one pass out. We checked the stove hookup, and it was more than secure. We then went to the laundry room and noticed one of the most ridiculous hack jobs that I have ever seen in my life. The dryer gas line had been capped with....wait for it....SCOTCH TAPE, and the valve to that gas line was open. We quickly turned off the supply valves to the house and opened all the windows. The crisis was averted, but without a doubt our entire building was at risk.

I've never seen something quite so STUPID in my life. I'm still trying to figure out who thought it was a good, effective practice to thing that SCOTCH TAPE was going to cap off a GAS LINE.

FACE PALM!!!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bang!

Quote Originally Posted by Gringonazo View Post
    We (...) rang the doorbell (...) without any luck.
    Well, you did have luck doing this.
    It could have been a very effective bell sound...

donP

3. Likes zoomzx11, Harleysrock, jd426 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable. Must have graduated dominican pipe fitting 101. Good thing the door bell was working properly. A loose fitting wire on that could have caused a spark and thats all the ignition an explosion needs.

5. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever see what is left of a building after a gas explosion? Nothing. You did not just save his life you saved all the people who would have been in the building at the time of the explosion. I smell gas I am outside immediately and call the Fire Department. You took a big chance doing the detective work and got lucky. Me, I do not go looking for the source of a gas leak. I am not a trained gas leak technician and have a severe allergy to explosions. You're a nice guy.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default gas explosions

Quote Originally Posted by Gringonazo View Post
    Our neighbor is sprucing up his place, as he is moving back into his apartment after renting it to various tenants over the last few years. Yesterday, they were working on hooking up the stove, and they did so successfully. However, something was wrong.

Last night as we were saying goodbye to our dinner guests and walking them to our elevator, we noticed the smell of gas in the elevator waiting area outside of our door. Each floor of our apartment building contains two apartments, and the elevator is located between each apartment. I immediately ran to the door of my neighbors place, and sniffed where the door meets the frame, and the smell of gas was overwhelming. We beat on the door, rang the doorbell, and tried to call him without any luck. My fear was that he was passed out or expired in his apartment. Providentially, such was not the case. To make a long story short, he finally showed up at his place, and we entered the apartment. The smell of gas was almost enough to make one pass out. We checked the stove hookup, and it was more than secure. We then went to the laundry room and noticed one of the most ridiculous hack jobs that I have ever seen in my life. The dryer gas line had been capped with....wait for it....SCOTCH TAPE, and the valve to that gas line was open. We quickly turned off the supply valves to the house and opened all the windows. The crisis was averted, but without a doubt our entire building was at risk.

I've never seen something quite so STUPID in my life. I'm still trying to figure out who thought it was a good, effective practice to thing that SCOTCH TAPE was going to cap off a GAS LINE.

FACE PALM!!!!!
    I guess itīs really strange we donīt have gasexplosions all over the country, every day...... hmmmm maybe itīs the gas......

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess ringing the doorbell was not the smartest thing I've done in my life.

9. Likes Harleysrock, TP666, jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Gas + oxygen in the the right mixture and a spark result in a big explosion (for propane: 2.1% - 9.5%). In this case, the mixture may have been too rich due to the length of time the pipe was leaking.

Door bells, ringing telephone turning on/off lights can all cause sparks. Propane is heavier than air so concentrates from the floor upwards unlike natural gas which is lighter than air.

Best thing to do when you smell gas and cannot immediately turn off the source is to evacuate yourself and everyone else and call the bomberos. If they set it off at least you don't go with it.

11. Likes Gringonazo, Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, have simply gotten tired of the stupidity of these people. Not to mention their Olympic ability to bull**** and steal but I'll save that for another thread. It's when their stupidity causes injury or death to others.... AND you read about it EVERYDAY! When my Dominican wife would ask me to come with her to The DR I used to jump at the chance. These days I tell her you go. I'm very happy here in America. There is only so much stupidity that one can take. My patience is over with this place!

PS I'm glad that your apt building didn't blow up courtesy of scotch tape man!!! Typical

13. Likes jd426, rfp liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure I go knocking on doors and try to convince lots of other people they should evacuate. In the DR I would expect many will not want to leave. "We just put dinner on the table, I dont smell gas". Nope I opt for run and 911 the FD. Other occupants are more likely to get out when ordered by FD. You are just the noisy neighbor upstairs, why should they listen to you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Would the fire dept really show up anywhere in the DR with just the threat of a fire or explosion? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but the FD guys I have seen are really lazy and then there's the question of who is paying for the fuel to get there.

16. Likes Criss Colon, Harleysrock, malko, TP666 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast